Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

D-mount lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: D-mount lenses Reply with quote

Guys,

I have some D-mount lenses and I have no idea on which (if any) camera they can be mounted and used for taking pictures. What's the best way to use those lenses?

I am shooting film only, so forget my - maybe stupid - question, I know almost nothing about digital non-SLRs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just looked this up yesterday, though i no longer have the site, but i just googled 'what us d mount'.

upshot is these are for 8mm (vs16mm c mount), and the register distance makes it impossible to use on any digital or film cam. sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:

upshot is these are for 8mm (vs16mm c mount), and the register distance makes it impossible to use on any digital or film cam. sorry.

Thanks. So these are literally useless Sad

Maybe I'll try the reverse mounting for macro works.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i am afraid so, at least thats what i read. also, based on register distance, i think we are talking about extreme macro...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axer wrote:
rbelyell wrote:

Thanks. So these are literally useless Sad

Not at all useless! Shocked Maybe this is a blasphemous thing to say on this forum... but you know, you could always use the lenses as originally intended on a D-mount movie camera. Not everything must be adapted to "something else" to be useful!

8mm movie film is still available in a number of emulsions, and if you really want to shoot stills, there are movie cameras which will do frame-by-frame shooting. People used to do this all the time for stop-motion animation. If you just shoot stills, a standard 50-foot Super8 cartridge is going to get you something like 3,600 shots, and a 10m roll of double-8 would be around 5,280 shots! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not useless per se, only useless per the intention of the author.
i did not know that one could in fact shoot stills from an 8mm cam... Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:

Not at all useless! Shocked Maybe this is a blasphemous thing to say on this forum... but you know, you could always use the lenses as originally intended on a D-mount movie camera. Not everything must be adapted to "something else" to be useful!

8mm movie film is still available in a number of emulsions, and if you really want to shoot stills, there are movie cameras which will do frame-by-frame shooting. People used to do this all the time for stop-motion animation. If you just shoot stills, a standard 50-foot Super8 cartridge is going to get you something like 3,600 shots, and a 10m roll of double-8 would be around 5,280 shots! Shocked

Thanks! I did not know that there're movie cameras that can be used as (strange) photo camera. I have to scrutiny the topic carefully.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axer wrote:
Thanks! I did not know that there're movie cameras that can be used as (strange) photo camera. I have to scrutiny the topic carefully.

Yes, it is all fun stuff. Cool

Here is a page from the owners manual of the Keystone Olympic K-32, just one of the many 8mm movie cameras that featured a single-frame mode. (I'm not sure that the K-32 uses D-mount lenses... but this is just for example)

(Image taken from the Keystone K-32 manual at: http://communication.ucsd.edu/bjones/Moviecam/Keystone-K32/index.html)

Another company who made a good selection of D-mount cameras was Bolex. There is a good listing of their camera models, along with info on the single-exposure modes, at this site:
http://www.bolexcollector.com/cameras/c8.html

Depending on how much you like film, another option would be to make a camera. You could either base it off of a 35mm camera body and waste some film (as a means to make processing convenient), or you could make a camera to use 8mm or 16mm film. Cameras don't have to be complicated, and building one can be a very rewarding experience. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a d mount Kern Paillard YVAR 36mm F/2.8 that I converted to c-mount. Removed D-mount, trimmed an additional 4mm from the rear tube and glued on a c-mount from a broken fuji lens. The lens works great, nice colour, sharp and full frame coverage on m4/3! It even gives decent coverage on Sony NEX with only mild vignetting (or it seems tha way, don't have an adapter for NEX but holding it in front of camera is promising)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm impressed, Dave. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite certain that a D mount connector will surface from Hong Kong at some stage. These lenses are so beautiful they cry out to be used, perhaps on the Kenko or other cameras?

One thing I have noticed is that they seem to lack a very fast version? No equivalent to f1.4 even? I would be certain this is due to lack of commercial demand as the c-Mounts were the major lens type in use. The 8mm even super8?, was always neglected as amateur?

I know that there are Japanese converters of p&s digicams that use d Mounts. As sensor tech develops, these lenses may be worth collecting, but given the likely diffraction limits inherent, an aperture seems unnecessary and this may encourage a manufacturer? F1 lenses with 2/3 sensors?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little late here, but in case it helps: D-mount lenses are not useless at all in the digital world. They can be used on the pentax Q. There are several adapters out there. Actually, I think that the Q has the shortest flange distance that you can find, so it can take anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafoarc wrote:
a little late here, but in case it helps: D-mount lenses are not useless at all in the digital world. They can be used on the pentax Q. There are several adapters out there. Actually, I think that the Q has the shortest flange distance that you can find, so it can take anything.

with a 6x magnification ratio so wides would be pretty useless.

The Q came out in 2011 probably just after the OP posted his question.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Tamron 4.5mm fisheye in c mount, not seen anything wider in c or d mount. It produced a circular image on the NEX sensor about 10mm in diameter so would only cover the Q sensor. On the Q it would give you a 27mm equivalent lens with a huge amount of barrel distortion, not very useful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Samsung NX mini system could also work. Focal flange distance seems to be around 6-7 mm, so even shorter compared to Pentax Q. And with a crop factor of 2.7, wide lenses won't be as useless as on the Pentax.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most wide angles won't cover the 1" sensor. For example, the common Cosmicar 8.5mm won't. The Computar and Fujinon 12.5mm will probably cover, but with the 2.7x crop factor, a 12.5mm lens is the equivalent of 33.75mm which is not very wide at all. If the Cosmicar 8.5 covered, it would be a 23mm equivalent which is pretty wide. Most of the wide cctv lenses are for 1/3" or 1/2" so are very unlikely to cover. There is a Pentax 6mm Aspheric but it only covers a 1/2" sensor and is fixed focus.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: faster 2x8 glass does exist Reply with quote

pat donnelly wrote:
I am quite certain that a D mount connector will surface from Hong Kong at some stage. These lenses are so beautiful they cry out to be used, perhaps on the Kenko or other cameras?

One thing I have noticed is that they seem to lack a very fast version? No equivalent to f1.4 even? I would be certain this is due to lack of commercial demand as the c-Mounts were the major lens type in use. .............

Well, Kern Switar (normal focal length) 13mm f.0,9 does exist, as well as the more modest wideangles: 6,5mm Zunow f 1,9, Kerns and Canons efforts in the same vein. They worked OK on 8mm but were edged out by the more convenient Zooms. Interchangeable Berthiot zooms etc. were replaced by their fixed equivalents and soon Angenieux, Schneider -and Kern busied themselves with S8 designs.

p.