Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

G.Zuiko Auto-W 20mm f3.5 ( Pen-F halfframe lens )
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: G.Zuiko Auto-W 20mm f3.5 ( Pen-F halfframe lens ) Reply with quote

a few samples taken with the Pen-F f3.5/20mm wide angle lens on Sony NEX5N
( 1st in Japan, rest in Saigon, Vietnam )

best greetings,
Andreas

( edited to upload new photos. following info kept as reference to possibly later restore photos originally shown #1DSC01587psred_1.jpg #2 DSC01155red_1.jpg #3 DSC08988psred_1.jpg #4 DSC00653red_1.jpg #5 DSC05830red_1.jpg #6 DSC05866red_1.jpg #7 DSC05872red_1.jpg )

Last edited by kuuan on Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results - the PenF was a very desirable cam in its day. Love all of them, but a very fond look at the old Citroen

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Great results - the PenF was a very desirable cam in its day. Love all of them, but a very fond look at the old Citroen
patrickh

thank you Patrick, and today Pen-F lenses are very desirable for NEX, are as if made for it!
ha, you recognized the Citroen? I did not know, but I had posted this photo on flickr and someone had commented that it is a Citroen 11CV

regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be able to use them on my Ricoh GXR M, a slower camera but whose use, handling and images it produces I prefer, I converted my Pen-F lenses to Leica M mount. A few samples:

wide open:

against light:

it's lack of distortion I find particularily impressive:

of course I also continue using it on my NEX which is better for low light and faster response. Now being in Leica mount I can use my Pen-F lenses also with my Leica M > Sony E helicoid adapter on NEX for even closer focusing, but actually a Pen-F lens hardly needs that, as seen above the 3.5/20 already natively focuses very close, to 20 cm.

A 20mm on APS-C imo is ideal for the street, I don't have experience doing classical street photography, but nevertheless, these two from Saigon, again on NEX5N

road side tyre repair

'crackerhead' Wink

cheers, andreas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
patrickh wrote:
patrickh

thank you Patrick, and today Pen-F lenses are very desirable for NEX, are as if made for it!
ha, you recognized the Citroen? I did not know, but I had posted this photo on flickr and someone had commented that it is a Citroen 11CV

regards,
Andreas

Yes it is a Citroën Traction Avant. 11cv or 15cv.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_Traction_Avant

Famous car in France. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that the samples at my original post come from a somewhat faulty, later repaired copy. Black paint around the rim of an inner lens element had 'evaporated', that had led to some blooming of light as seen e.g. at the photo of the staircase ( I had presented the problem and repair in another thread, photos are gone, shall try to replace them once possible: http://forum.mflenses.com/which-black-paint-to-use-on-lens-element-t51079.html )

The later photos comes from another, quite faultless copy!

I need to clarify this because I had unjustly critizised the performance of the Pen-F wide angles. I also have a faulty 2.8/25 now replaced by a good copy, now see that the problems I had ascribed to subpar coatings 'mostly' had been caused by faulty copies.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful images Andreas Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much Stefan.
since a while now my preferred focal lenght for the city is 28 to 30mm equivalent, therefore got a second, better copy
( and before that the 19mm Sigma for my NEX and the 28mm module for my GXR )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos Andreas, as always.
I have same feeling about lens for street/traveling. 28mm is good choice. Recently I brought topcon 20mm+lens turbo, it's too wide for my taste.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Suat!
I appreciate the small size and lack of distortion of the 20mm Pen-F, nowadays usually carry it together with Pen-F 1.4/40 and Heliar 2.5/75
You remind me that I also have a lens turbo and a 2/28mm Vivitar with me, of course that combo is over double the size and weight but as I often got to shoot here at night it would save on ISO. All samples from these last days seen below were taken at ISO 3200, not sure if I'd want a more shallow dof though.
Your 20mm Topcor must be ideal and great used streight on your NEX!

cheers, andreas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saigon life

Pen-F Zuiko 3.5/20 on Ricoh GXR M