Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

AUTO Vivitar 2.8/35 - Pic Heavy
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: AUTO Vivitar 2.8/35 - Pic Heavy Reply with quote

I have mentioned this lens in another thread about Vivitars in general, but thought it deserved its own thread.
dimitrygo is convinced that this lens is similar to Yashinons and that both owe much to Tomioka.
He may well be correct as this is a very nice lens indeed.
Here are quite a few sample images - all taken on K-10D.
Apart from exposure adjustment and the odd vignette there is no other PP. Definitely no sharpening.
You will easily tell those shot wide open and those that were not.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know,I enjoy the way you capture the light coming through a leaf.I like the mandarin (? ) shot the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
You know,I enjoy the way you capture the light coming through a leaf.I like the mandarin (? ) shot the best.

Yep - our mandarin tree Very Happy
I didn't have a lot of choice Mo.
By the time I'd finished the chores, the sun had moved around to the NW and all the sad remnants of our winter garden were backlit.
It was only the mandarin tree that was catching the full sun.
It isn't always easy to find subject matter that will show off a lens' strengths - particularly in winter with our shorter days and lower light.
We live on the south side of a hill (unlike some who have an east facing aspect Very Happy ) and the hill and its tall trees block the sun until late morning in winter.
I have about a four hour window in the middle of the day when the sun gets through, to capture the sun's lighting - otherwise it will be shadow or indirect light (I don't own a flash unit).
Thank you for your kind words
Tom

PS: I am really impressed with this lens.
It is easy to get the best out of.
Unlike some others that I have shown recently which are plain hard work
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny some lenses you just get on well with and some you don't. We have a huge tree that blocks the morning sun in winter until about 10am,I can't complain about the weather lately it has been very nice in the afternoons.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: AUTO Vivitar 2.8/35 - Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I have mentioned this lens in another thread about Vivitars in general, but thought it deserved its own thread.
dimitrygo is convinced that this lens is similar to Yashinons and that both owe much to Tomioka.
He may well be correct as this is a very nice lens indeed.

Your pictures look actually better than some samples of Yashinon DX 35mm I saw on the net. So may be after all your lens is not Tomioka Razz
Just kidding.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, this is fine stuff here!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive images indeed. Is this the T4 mount?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

invisible wrote:
Impressive images indeed. Is this the T4 mount?

No it is a fixed mount lens.
It is this one:
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
No it is a fixed mount lens.
It is this one:
OH

Thank you, sir.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite blown away by this lens.
Even wide open it is super sharp.
Very little CA and lovely colours.
All this on a humble 10.2mp sensor in the K-10D
Well done whoever made it.
OH

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using this lovely little lens again.
A few from this afternoon
OH

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the colours and bokeh but the results leave something to be desired to my eyes, not sure what it is technically that causes this.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful rendering lens. I can see the Yashica/Yashinon DX resemblance.
Damn....wish I spotted this thread sooner. I just passed up on a 35mm f2.8 Yashinon DX for $39 on Ebay.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Beautiful rendering lens. I can see the Yashica/Yashinon DX resemblance.
Damn....wish I spotted this thread sooner. I just passed up on a 35mm f2.8 Yashinon DX for $39 on Ebay.

This is a most unusual Vivitar.
Its serial number is out of step with the recognised manufacturer prefixes that we are accustomed to.
I see similarities to the Mamiyas and Yashinons that were reputedly sourced from Tomioka.
Further, It seems to have a "floating element" not unlike the Nikkor AI 24mm lens.
Whatever is its parentage - it is a cracker for sure
OH

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb!!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skilled photographer , great light , average or bellow average lens in my opinion, no fine details visible like what you have with good lenses.