Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Game
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and last one...
Well you said even crazy things.
So, here is a great supporter of Deutsche Mannschaft 2014. Wink



PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL @ Olivier Very HappyVery Happy

He's wonderfully photogenic. He reminded me of the prophets in Life of Brian.


PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
He reminded me of the prophets in Life of Brian.




PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last call for submissions !

I will come to a conclusion tomorrow night.


PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all contributions.

I liked all pictures, some more. Determining a winner is not easy for me.

From the "normal" repaired pictures I liked Jan's color and sky best (shows what is in a Raw file). Olivier was the only one to crop it which I also quite liked specially the larger face in the BW version.
Kryss's versions were quite creative and had a more graphic quality, however I had the feeling that Walter blended too much into the background.
Oliviers Worldcup version is great and maybe (depending how Sunday turns out) that should be first place.

But I decided that peter(qd) hit the nail on the head with his composite. Walter is a man of the written word and has a great sense of humor. The setting is quite fitting.

Summing it up:

1st place


2nd


3rd


And special mention:


Thanks again everybody. Great fun!


PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't expect THAT one to win! Very Happy Thankyou Bernhard

OK, here is the picture I'd like to rescue. Let's see if Olivier knows exactly where it was taken in Paris Smile



It was shot with the Yashica Mat124G TLR on Ilford PanF on a cold and windy day in November 2007. There are numerous scratches,
dust and hairs etc, which I must have added during either developing or scanning. So you have a lot of cloning or spot healing to do.
But the main problem is that my wife has her eyes closed. I wonder if you can make use of this second shot to open them for me. Smile



Oh, and if you can remove my camera rucksack in the foreground it would make a huge improvement! Smile


PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really interested in being part of the contest other than taking a shot at fixing the eyes. I prefer the entire expression of the "other" image, so I didn't just fix the eyes. The JPG artifacts of the original images were quite a problem.

peterqd wrote:


OK, here is the picture I'd like to rescue. Let's see if Olivier knows exactly where it was taken in Paris Smile



PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote



PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my version after having treated levels and distorsion in DxO and some work on the clarity, contrast in LR4.



PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was not so easy.

It was a loooong time since I removed that amount of dust and I had to re-educate myself.
The picture was also small size 8 bit BW that is not easy to work with.

I really liked the corrections posted so far, and there was really no point to add another one to it.
Therefore I took some liberties Smile



PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

This is my version.
I really liked this challenge. Hard but not impossible. I found myself looking at increasingly smaller areas of pixels that seemed to have an increasingly larger impact of the overall impression of the image. I'm not sure I knew when to stop. The people look very nice, so maybe thats why.
Anyway, I had a lot of fun doing this, and learned a lot too.



Best regards Thomas


PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent a long time comparing the different entries. A lot of work has been done by everyone, especially cleaning up the image.
Changing the eyes proved to be a challenge. I found out myself how hard this is, and the different camera positions in the two
pictures means it will never be perfect. However, some efforts are better than others.

CBokeh, my wife has Parkinson's disease, which affects her expression. I'm not sure exactly what you did but it was a great idea and
the best entry on that score by far. As for the aberrations, I'd welcome some help from you on them, what exactly is wrong? I tried
to paste the original scan of the neg but it was rejected by the forum software, I assume because of its size, so I had to post a
resized version.


Please don't think my remarks are being too critical - all the efforts are very good. This is just my way judging the winner.

CBokeh
Thankyou for entering. Very good eyes, cleaning is fantastic. For some reason the picture has become slightly squashed vertically.

Tedat
Brightening the image has shown up even more dust. Eyes don't look quite right.

Olivier
Very good effort, but again the eyes aren't quite right.

Olivier2
Ditto but it looks a little oversharpened.

Bernhard
Very good cleaning again, but again the eyes aren't quite right and the picture looks too dark for my taste.

TKL
Very good. The face is not quite right. The side cropping is good, but what did you do to the focus of the streetlamp standard?

Very difficult to judge a winner. I really like the entries by CBokeh and TKL but I can't choose which is best, so I make them joint
winners this week. I also give a highly commended award to Olivier's first pic.


PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Peter.

Congrats to Cbokeh and TKL Thomas ! Very Happy

I understand Cbokeh's post as not willing to participate to a challenge, so I propose that Thomas posts the new challenge for the week.
Cbokeh, if I misunderstood your message, please feel free to post a new challenge.

The first one to be posted will be this week's challenge.

Smile


PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Thank you Peter.

Congrats to Cbokeh and TKL Thomas ! Very Happy

I understand Cbokeh's post as not willing to participate to a challenge, so I propose that Thomas posts the new challenge for the week.
Cbokeh, if I misunderstood your message, please feel free to post a new challenge.

The first one to be posted will be this week's challenge.

Smile

Yes, Oliver, you understood me correctly, I only did the challenge to see how far I could take the image with a 20 minute limit of work (and I stopped wherever I happened to be when exactly 20 minutes arrived). I use Photoshop professionally, so I don't feel it would be fair to compete, but I couldn't resist the challenge.

Here is the image with another 2 minutes of work.


Everyone did a great job, especially Oliver!

Peter, what you might want to consider in the future is to post your original scan to an outside photo server and then post a link so we could download the file that way. Also, consider saving the image inside an archive like ZIP RAR or SIT to stop any additional additional file compression.

As for your wife's eyes, I actually just pulled her entire head from the other image and cleaned up the edges. Faster and more natural looking, I feel.


PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:
As for your wife's eyes, I actually just pulled her entire head from the other image and cleaned up the edges. Faster and more natural looking, I feel.

That was a brilliant idea!

Would you mind telling me what you did to the picture? It appears that the subjects are closer to the camera but with virtually no
cropping. That's a very clever technique, I have Photoshop but I wouldn't know how to do it. Did you use a distort tool?


PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
CBokeh wrote:
As for your wife's eyes, I actually just pulled her entire head from the other image and cleaned up the edges. Faster and more natural looking, I feel.

That was a brilliant idea!

Would you mind telling me what you did to the picture? It appears that the subjects are closer to the camera but with virtually no
cropping. That's a very clever technique, I have Photoshop but I wouldn't know how to do it. Did you use a distort tool?


Well, I applied noise reduction, rotated the image slightly to make it appear more level and adjusted both exposure and sharpness of the foreground and background independently. For that, I made a duplicate layer, made a separate pass in Camera Raw for each layer and then masked out the foreground exposure/sharpness from background.

I added the layer with your wife's head, cleaned up the mask and merged that layer with the foreground.

Next, I adjusted lens distortion. To do that, I merged the foreground/background layers mentioned above and headed back into Camera Raw. The Lens Distortion correction, plus the cropping, is partially why the people appear closer, but the lens distortion correction I initially applied also "made them fat." I almost undid it, but then I decided to leave the image stretched as a flaw that I knew I could "fix" quickly later. I then made all my image repairs using the Rubber Stamp and the Healing Brush.

Sorry if it seems like I'm boasting. In another life, I have been known to work very quickly under deadline...


PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:
Well, I applied noise reduction, rotated the image slightly to make it appear more level and adjusted both exposure and sharpness of the foreground and background independently. For that, I made a duplicate layer, made a separate pass in Camera Raw for each layer and then masked out the foreground exposure/sharpness from background.

I added the layer with your wife's head, cleaned up the mask and merged that layer with the foreground.

Next, I adjusted lens distortion. To do that, I merged the foreground/background layers mentioned above and headed back into Camera Raw. The Lens Distortion correction, plus the cropping, is partially why the people appear closer, but the lens distortion correction I initially applied also "made them fat." I almost undid it, but then I decided to leave the image stretched as a flaw that I knew I could "fix" quickly later. I then made all my image repairs using the Rubber Stamp and the Healing Brush.

Sorry if it seems like I'm boasting. In another life, I have been known to work very quickly under deadline...

CBokeh, thanks a lot for your explanations (and your special mention about my trials). Smile

If you wish, you could post us a challenge for this week. Wink


PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all. I'm sorry I'm a little late to respond.

peterqd wrote:
Very difficult to judge a winner. I really like the entries by CBokeh and TKL but I can't choose which is best, so I make them joint
winners this week.


Thanks Peter. I really appreciate it. Especially when there was a pro involved. I'm honoured (and surprised). CBokeh did a really good job I think, and in just 20 minutes. Shocked I must admit that I spend a bit more. Minutes is not the unit I would choose to count in.

peterqd wrote:
TKL
Very good. The face is not quite right. The side cropping is good, but what did you do to the focus of the streetlamp standard?


I'm glad that you like it. The face was very difficult. I made several attempts and improved some during the process. As for the streetlamp. I actually really liked the look of it. So much that it took away the attention from the people, so I decided to sacrifice it. I used the gaussian blur filter for the whole background in Photoshop. And then I cropped it.

CBokeh wrote:
Well, I applied noise reduction, rotated the image slightly to make it appear more level and adjusted both exposure and sharpness of the foreground and background independently. For that, I made a duplicate layer, made a separate pass in Camera Raw for each layer and then masked out the foreground exposure/sharpness from background.

I added the layer with your wife's head, cleaned up the mask and merged that layer with the foreground.

Next, I adjusted lens distortion. To do that, I merged the foreground/background layers mentioned above and headed back into Camera Raw. The Lens Distortion correction, plus the cropping, is partially why the people appear closer, but the lens distortion correction I initially applied also "made them fat." I almost undid it, but then I decided to leave the image stretched as a flaw that I knew I could "fix" quickly later. I then made all my image repairs using the Rubber Stamp and the Healing Brush.


This is very interesting. I used some of the same tricks, allthough much simpler. I also rotated the image. First I cloned the face and removed the most visible scratches. Then I duplicated the layer and blurred the one on top. I just simply erased out the outline of the people, leaving the sharp layer underneath exposed, and that was it. Then CBokeh went on to do things I didn't even know you could do Very Happy

CBokeh wrote:
Sorry if it seems like I'm boasting. In another life, I have been known to work very quickly under deadline...


Not at all. I like people that are good at what they do, and you clearly are. Personally I think you should take part in the game. I wouldn't mind picking up at few tricks from you from time to time.

As for the new challenge, I'm away from home the next week, so if someone else would post a new image it would be better. Maybe CBokeh will change his mind.
I really should get back to packing. I still haven't decided what lenses to bring Confused

Thomas


PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKL wrote:
I'm honoured (and surprised).

You did a geat job, Thomas, well done. If CBokeh hadn't squashed the image making the heads look fatter I would have made him the
winner. If you hadn't blurred the lamppost, you'd have won! Smile

I hope everyone enjoyed my challenge and thanks to all who entered. I thought it would make a change from what we've had
previously, and I'm going to keep the winning images instead of the originals. I'm embarrassed and sorry there were so many scratches
and dust spots to heal. It made a lot of work I'm sure. I can't remember how that happened, it was nearly 7 years ago when I
developed and scanned the neg. Maybe I dropped it on the carpet or something. Embarassed


PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ladies and gents.
As no new challenge has been uploaded yet, I post a new one.

Here is a negative of a shot taken in november 2013 at the entrance of old Calais harbor.
It shows a monument to the dead sailors.
There are 3 seagulls on the cross which attracted my eyes.
In the foreground are fishermen's nets.
It was shot with a Zorki-1D with Industar-22 3.5/5cm mounted, and Fomapan 400 film.

I can't wait to see what you'll do with this one. Smile

Size : 5616x3744 (please when uploading your works, reduce the size Wink ).


PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first try:




Very Happy


PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant work Bernhard!

I couldn't do much with it myself. I played around a bit with the magic wand and the paint bucket and ended up with a mess! Smile


PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote