Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Anastigmat 50mm f/1.6 on Sony A7r
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Kodak Anastigmat 50mm f/1.6 on Sony A7r Reply with quote

picked up this vintage beauty for about $100 on ebay.
some vignetting, will have to cut the protruding tube at the bottom of the lens.

ALL shots taken wide open.

thanks for looking !

Last edited by Igor on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has a great unique look. i love kodak lenses, congrats. for me personally, i generally prefer the rendering of the ektars to the anastigmats, as i find them sharper. have you a preference?
tony

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, in these pictures, artistic part is also important. The flower pot one looks great, I'd like to see it in larger size, if possible.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the flower pot image as well,it looks like a nice lens to own.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pics are awesome, any images of the kens itself?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's effects there that a lot of people pay a lot of money to achieve, I love it. There's terrific sharpness in parts of the image that make them good images - the viewer can see what it is. But the overall effect is excellent as well. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
There's effects there that a lot of people pay a lot of money to achieve, I love it. There's terrific sharpness in parts of the image that make them good images - the viewer can see what it is. But the overall effect is excellent as well. Cool

Totally agree. The important sharp bits and the OOF areas all hang together nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a 16mm cine lens. Correct?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done.
The daisies in particular are a stunning shot.
Some considerable vignetting on this but it works well for this sort of look.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW - nice work. The flowerpot with daisies is my favorite too.

'Anastigmat' (literally "no astigmatism") was Kodak's name for most of its top line of lenses made in the 1920s and 1930s. The name for Kodak's premier lenses changed to 'Ektar" around 1936. The Ektars were typically superior in optical performance and mechanical construction to the earlier Anastigmat range. Many Anastigmats were discontinued around 1948-49, and those that remained were re-named "Ektanon".

Your "S" type Anastigmat was a high-end 16mm Cine lens most likely made between 1936-48. The Kodak Type S mount was Kodak's universal cine lens mount, adaptable to nearly all of Kodak's interchangeable lens cine cameras. Type S lenses were introduced in the mid 1930s, sometime after the Cine-Kodak Special and more than a decade before Kodak's only camera with a native Type S mount: the Cine-Kodak Special II. Nearly all of Kodak's cine lenses from the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s were available in the Type S mount, and there were many more Kodak lenses in Type S mount than in any other mount.

Check out the info below about cine Kodak lenses including yours.

You certainly proved how well this lens can perform in the right hands!!

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures! Interesting lens, it seems perfect for this kind of photography. Me too would like to see a pic of the lens and how it mounts on your camera!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

№4 very nice contrast between warm and cold color Exclamation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you show us the adapted Lens too?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
has a great unique look. i love kodak lenses, congrats. for me personally, i generally prefer the rendering of the ektars to the anastigmats, as i find them sharper. have you a preference?
tony

thanks much Tony, actually this is my first Kodak lens, so can't compare it to any other... but I love it for sure Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
Actually, in these pictures, artistic part is also important. The flower pot one looks great, I'd like to see it in larger size, if possible.

Thanks much for your comment, the vignetting does add that artsy look. Will have to dig for the original pot/daisy image...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I like the flower pot image as well,it looks like a nice lens to own.

thanks a lot Moira !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:
the pics are awesome, any images of the kens itself?

hi, just posted the image of the lens on the A7r.
thanks much !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

thanks a lot LLoydy ! appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

Totally agree. The important sharp bits and the OOF areas all hang together nicely.

Thanks a lot !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
This is a 16mm cine lens. Correct?

yes, S-mount. thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Very well done.
The daisies in particular are a stunning shot.
Some considerable vignetting on this but it works well for this sort of look.

thanks much, glad you liked the photos !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
WOW - nice work. The flowerpot with daisies is my favorite too.

'Anastigmat' (literally "no astigmatism") was Kodak's name for most of its top line of lenses made in the 1920s and 1930s. The name for Kodak's premier lenses changed to 'Ektar" around 1936. The Ektars were typically superior in optical performance and mechanical construction to the earlier Anastigmat range. Many Anastigmats were discontinued around 1948-49, and those that remained were re-named "Ektanon".

Your "S" type Anastigmat was a high-end 16mm Cine lens most likely made between 1936-48. The Kodak Type S mount was Kodak's universal cine lens mount, adaptable to nearly all of Kodak's interchangeable lens cine cameras. Type S lenses were introduced in the mid 1930s, sometime after the Cine-Kodak Special and more than a decade before Kodak's only camera with a native Type S mount: the Cine-Kodak Special II. Nearly all of Kodak's cine lenses from the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s were available in the Type S mount, and there were many more Kodak lenses in Type S mount than in any other mount.

Check out the info below about cine Kodak lenses including yours.

You certainly proved how well this lens can perform in the right hands!!

Best,

Paul

thanks much for the detailed info ! appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Beautiful pictures! Interesting lens, it seems perfect for this kind of photography. Me too would like to see a pic of the lens and how it mounts on your camera!

thank you ! the pic of the lens is posted.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serkol wrote:
№4 very nice contrast between warm and cold color Exclamation

Thanks much ! glad you like it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldMark wrote:
Will you show us the adapted Lens too?

already posted, thank you.