Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Easy non destructive Altix NEX adapter. NEW 23 Nov 2014
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Easy non destructive Altix NEX adapter. NEW 23 Nov 2014 Reply with quote

Edited 23 Nov 2014 since all the original pics have been lost. At the bottom is a new simpler method of adapting an Altix lens.

I've been reading a couple of threads on this and the Camera Collector forum too about the posibility of using Altix lenses on your NEX or M4/3 camera.

I knocked one together last night - of course taking no photos during the process so as not to disturb my wife.

However here it is, naturally this will work for any mirrorless camera and possibly some DSLR's as long as you can get a Pentax PK adapter for it.

The FFD of the Altix is almost identical to the PK so that part was easy.

Materials needed:

Pieces if this plastic less than 1mm thick (I used the lid of a fishfood container)
Hot glue gin and glue
Epoxy resin
piece of silicone paper (decal/sticker backing paper)
PK adapter

Part 1
Cut the plastic into shape that will fit on the flanges of the PK mount. I made a circle that would allow the Altix's barrel (inside the flange) to go through then cut the pieces out.

Glue them with the epoxy to the PK flanges, build them up until they are level with the surface. let the glue 'gel' then turn the whole thing upside down onto the silicone paper and apply pressure until the glue has set. Making sure that the sprung pin is depressed in.

While its upside down, push any glue you can see into and around the flanges.

The plastic pieces should be flush with the surface of the adapter flange.

Part 2
Try the lens for fit, depending how big the plastic flanges are the lens will 'bayonet' into the adapter.

Mark the flange with a marker pen where the lens index will go ( you can see it clearly on my photo above)

Remove the flange from the barrel of the adapter (this makes the next stage easier)

With the lens nose down, put the flange onto the lens, lining up the index with the mark you made.

Carefully hot glue all the way round, going into all the bayonet flanges of the adapter and lens. Push the hot glue with a wet finger into all the parts. Try to avoid getting any on the surface of the flange as this must screw back nice and flat.

I removed excess with a sharp knife.

Screw the adapter back onto the lens,

There is a tiny gap of less than a millimetre all the way round the lens. You can either paint the glue black or as I did cheated with a bit of blu tak.

Thats it. Simple and the hot glue will hold the lens in place until you want to remove it. Not recommended for tropical areas!

No harm to the lens as the glue will just pull off, the PK adapter will be no good unless you can get the epoxy from the bayonet flange.

Quick and easy and non destructive to your lens.

A couple of shots thru the window and a flower this morning with this setup. The 2 feet close focusing distance is handy.

Levels adjusted as the lens is fairly low contrast.

Last edited by philslizzy on Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Phil,

What is strange is that there is a difference of 3mm in the flange distance between PK and Altix, and your lens still seems to focus to infinity, doesn´t it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davichin wrote:
Hello Phil,

What is strange is that there is a difference of 3mm in the flange distance between PK and Altix, and your lens still seems to focus to infinity, doesn´t it?

It does, and only when I read your comment did I think it strange, so I checked.

from http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

I actually didnt know about the Altix FFD but someone on another forum said if you file the bayonet flanges down on the lens it will sit nicely in a M42 mount and get infinity. So I went down this path.

I don't want to modify the lens so thought I'd try it on a PK mount which has the same FFD as M42.

The lens itself sits slightly inside the mount resting on the bayonet flanges. This focuses well past infinity, I got perfect focus with the back of the lens on the face of the PK mount. This is why the flanges had to be built up.

I am happy with it but I think that the information about Altix lenses must be erroneous. I have another Altix somewhere I'll measure the FFD of both (as best I can).

It simply works, if the lens had needed a shorter adapter I have a Konica mount I use as a 'test bed', I'd have used that.

Thank for your input. And of course everyone else for theirs.

I'm checking...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no, thank you! Smile

I will wait for your measurements, as I think 3mm is "a lot" to be missed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery solved. It depends where you are measuring from.

The inner ring - actually the mount retaining ring is just over 42mms from the pressure plate, the front of the flange is just under 46mm, the front of the flange and the lens seat is what I used. Lucky really I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaaaaahaaa! Idea so, for what it is related to adapters etc..., the flange distance is the same as M42, PK etc... very good to know. Those 42.5mm stated in the charts are somehow misleading.

Thank you again!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not use who measured it but it seems to be the de-facto standard now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I've been reading a couple of threads on this and the Camera Collector forum too about the posibility of using Altix lenses on your NEX or M4/3 camera.

I knocked one together last night

Hi,
I would be happy if you could upload the pictures again so that I can see how you have done the adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.Dent wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

I knocked one together last night

Hi,
I would be happy if you could upload the pictures again so that I can see how you have done the adapter.

OK, here is a new version, simpler than my original. This method adapts the mount to M42. I used an M42 to PK adapter for this but the mod will work on any M42 from a camera body to a mirrorless adapter.

The lens is almost exactly the same FFD as M42 despite what the internet tells you. The lens flange will almost fit inside an M42 thread mount. Some users have filed the flanges down to fit. My approach is to file down the threads instead. My lenses have Altix cameras to work on.

line up the lens against the M42 mount and mark where the flanges mate. Obviously the focus index needs to be at the top. Simply file away the screw threads evenly in all three places. Try the lens for fit and keep going until the lens drops in. If the filing is done cleanly the M42 adapter will accept lenses as usual with no problems. Glue the adapter onto the lens or as I do use hot glue, pressing it all into the threads and flange. This will hold the lens on with no problem and is easily removed with a firm tug.

The adapter with the threads filed away

Lens dropped into the adapter (you can see traces of hot glue from last time I used it)

On my Pentax K10d. With the Tessar, there is a slight gap around the lens and body. This will let light in. I roll up a piece of blu-tak or use electricians tape wrapped round it. This is not a problem if you mount it on an M42 body or mirrorless adapter. Only with the M42-K adapter.