Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Summicron 90mm f2 - Do people user a magnifer with it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Leica Summicron 90mm f2 - Do people user a magnifer with it? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've just got a Leica Summicron 90mm f2 lens, 1973 version. I have been toying with the idea of either the 75/1.4 or 90/2 for a few weeks but the 4x lower price of the 90mm won me over.

Here are 2 sample shots with model Emma in the studio using the 90/2 lens at roughly 1M at f2.

Leica Summicron 90mm f2 Colours by MatthewOsbornePhotography - Leica Photographer, on Flickr

Leica Summicron 90mm f2 by MatthewOsbornePhotography - Leica Photographer, on Flickr

The second shot looks a bit airbrushed on the skin but I promise it isn't. It is edited but I tend not to blur skin. I try to let light soften it.

Anyway the reason for my post... I'd love to hear from anyone who uses a Leica camera with a magnifier on the viewfinder such as x1.4. They are not cheap so I want to know if they are beneficial to focusing or not. I would find it useful for both my Cron 90/2 and Elmar 135/4 lenses, especially using them wide open.

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't answer to your question, but the color shot is Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only had a cheap one and cannot recommend it (out of MY sight!):
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Phottix-1-25x-Viewfinder-Magnifier-for-Leica-Black-/400609907774?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Objektive&hash=item5d4636143e#ht_151wt_1005

I don't know, if the original Leica one are better, but these are indeed not cheap!

I need to wear glasses and looking through the magnifier was incomfortable, precise and slow focussing without loupe gave similar, if not better results....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So beautiful!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinions on the value of viewfinder magnifiers vary tremendously. If you want to see examples of indecision and agonising, look at Leica User Forum Very Happy Still, the consensus seems to be that, at the very best, the device is less than convenient for out and about use.

I had some focus problems with my M8 and was agonising over taking the plunge when prudence intervened and My Dear Wife said 'Why not go and see your optician?" A wise girl, to be sure.

The Leica M8/9/240 rangefinder system is inherently sufficiently accurate to manage focusing a 90mm f2 correctly, if both camera and lens are correctly set up. All we have to do is superimpose the images . . . very carefully.

The key factor in precise image alignment is actually the clarity with which you see the view/rangefinder images and that's principally dependent on the relationship of your eyesight with the M viewfinder system. The presence of even a small degree of uncorrected astigmatism will compromise focusing efficiency, as can even a small amount of un-corrected long- or short-sightedness. The M viewfinder has a small amount of 'power' which means that the image seen through it is at a virtual distance of around 1.5/2 meters (I think that's right) and any inablity of the eye to compensate may well take the edge off the clarity of what's seen with a resulting diminution of focusing accuracy.

If you already wear either specs or contact lenses of any sort, it's worth going to see your optician and asking him/her to let you borrow one of their little lenses look through the camera finder. Try minus and plus 0.25 diopter increments up to 1.5 diotpers and see if there's any change. And even if you think you don't need specs, try it anyway. Plenty of English opticians do free eye tests these days.

In my case, adding a +0.5 diopter viewfinder correction lens wiped out the focusing inconsistencies I'd been getting at wide apertures.

But, be warned, a Leica-brand correction lens will set you back well over £100, an utterly ridiculous price indeed. My optician made mine up for me for a fraction of that, and I got a retaining ring for a nominal price.

Er, if you already knew this, please forgive my prattling on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Opinions on the value of viewfinder magnifiers vary tremendously. If you want to see examples of indecision and agonising, look at Leica User Forum Very Happy Still, the consensus seems to be that, at the very best, the device is less than convenient for out and about use.

I had some focus problems with my M8 and was agonising over taking the plunge when prudence intervened and My Dear Wife said 'Why not go and see your optician?" A wise girl, to be sure.

The Leica M8/9/240 rangefinder system is inherently sufficiently accurate to manage focusing a 90mm f2 correctly, if both camera and lens are correctly set up. All we have to do is superimpose the images . . . very carefully.

The key factor in precise image alignment is actually the clarity with which you see the view/rangefinder images and that's principally dependent on the relationship of your eyesight with the M viewfinder system. The presence of even a small degree of uncorrected astigmatism will compromise focusing efficiency, as can even a small amount of un-corrected long- or short-sightedness. The M viewfinder has a small amount of 'power' which means that the image seen through it is at a virtual distance of around 1.5/2 meters (I think that's right) and any inablity of the eye to compensate may well take the edge off the clarity of what's seen with a resulting diminution of focusing accuracy.

If you already wear either specs or contact lenses of any sort, it's worth going to see your optician and asking him/her to let you borrow one of their little lenses look through the camera finder. Try minus and plus 0.25 diopter increments up to 1.5 diotpers and see if there's any change. And even if you think you don't need specs, try it anyway. Plenty of English opticians do free eye tests these days.

In my case, adding a +0.5 diopter viewfinder correction lens wiped out the focusing inconsistencies I'd been getting at wide apertures.

But, be warned, a Leica-brand correction lens will set you back well over £100, an utterly ridiculous price indeed. My optician made mine up for me for a fraction of that, and I got a retaining ring for a nominal price.

Er, if you already knew this, please forgive my prattling on.

Many thanks Stephen, that sounds a good idea. I am normally -1 prescription but have not had an eye test for a while.

I like to think I do not need a magnifier as it would be a lot of hassle (taking on and off when using wider lenses) and expense.

Thanks for the push in the right direction!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this lens or maybe earilier version on Leica M5 and used an "cheap" chinese magnifier (not original by Leica but did fit the same screwmount) for the viewfinder. But it was very hard to get everything in focus wide open anyway, maybe my lens copy had some RF missalignemend (my copy looked hardly used and had a fingerprint inside). It had much less problems with 50/1.1 Nokton with the same magnifier.

I didn't like the old 90 Cron very much, newer ones are supposed to be much better though.