Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Silly question: one lens lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Silly question: one lens lens? Reply with quote

It's boxing day and presents are all packeted out, have nothing to do....

So thoughts divagate around:

I love simple lens designs! The for me most impressing one is the 3 lens Hologon design from the early 1970's:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/RF-Nikkor/Contax_RF/Zeiss-Hologon/index1.htm

Three lenses for a perfect ultrawidewide angle!

Now we're 4 decades later and aspheric design is used in cheapest consumer cameras, new glass types of optical dispersion and diffraction are found.

But most lenses are zooms with so many lenses in there....Crying or Very sad

Is a fixed focal length with only one (or maximal 2) lenses possible?
Using glass of different refraction zones melted together in one lens, aspherical design and of rectangular shape (different diffraction in the corner regions), especially fitted to the film or sensor. Of course this lens must have straigness of linear guide, must not turn if focused.

Am I crasy?
Wink
Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meniscus is one kind of single lens lens. Different glass kinds in the same "lens" maybe could be better described as single group, more than single lens (e.g., achromatic doublet).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novoflex 40cm f5. 6 is a doublet, it has two lenses only and pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In long lenses, there are many that are achromatic doublets.

In 'normal' lengths, there was the Periskop type, which was two elements arranged around a central stop.

You could also use half of a dialyte, which is a 4/4 lens, so the half is 2 elements in 2 groups.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many types of achromatic doublets of many focal lengths in the Edmunds catalog if someone wants to experiment.
Also some of the better closeup lenses are doublets. For that matter all closeup lenses would work as camera lenses also.
Not good ones, but maybe interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you can live with small coverage and are willing to work at small (and smaller) apertures, there's nothing wrong with simple lenses (meniscii, doublets). If you want large coverage, a large aperture and well-tamed aberrations then you'll need a lens with more elements. If you want all that and zooming too, still more elements are needed. The minimum for reasonable coverage, reasonable speed and reasonable corrections seems to be three elements. Reasonable people can disagree reasonably with reason about how much coverage, speed and corrections are reasonable.

Its all a question of your resources and your preferences.

I want good corrections, can live with relatively slow lenses. So the lenses I use most have no more than eight elements in four groups and most are simpler. This wasn't always true, my cine cameras' zoom lenses are incomprehensibly complex, but I no longer use them.

I've had and used two achromatic doublets, still have one. Both Century Tele-Athenars, both lousy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Silly question: one lens lens? Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:

Using glass of different refraction zones melted together in one lens, aspherical design and of rectangular shape (different diffraction in the corner regions), especially fitted to the film or sensor. Of course this lens must have straigness of linear guide, must not turn if focused.

Another note: a similar theoretical scheme, with different glasses melted together, is not simpler than a multiple elements scheme - it's only packed together in a different way, you cannot call it "simple design". The various schemes above mentioned are simple in a straightforward sense.

The mentioned thread on meniscus is http://forum.mflenses.com/meniscus-lenses-t63197.html#1359792 . I quickly put up a meniscus lens some time ago - I have to make it better as soon as I have some free time: http://forum.mflenses.com/meniscus-diy-t57964.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some toy lenses, such as Sima and Portragon, have one element.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the old days when negatives were huge and diffusion was not a worry there were many single and double element lenses.

The achromatic doublet in my VPK is about as sharp as anything made in the era - but the max aperture is f/11! Laughing

Remove the aperture and the lens becomes a nice soft focus job, with a max speed of about f/5.6

Last edited by Mos6502 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Silly question: one lens lens? Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:

Am I crasy?
Wink
Thomas

Melting together different types of glass does not give you back the properties of each. It just does not make sense.
Different types of glass are required for different functions in complex optical schemes where the position and the shape
of the glasses is important as much as the optical characteristics of the glasses.

it is possible to make lenses with only one glass, but you have to accept that the unavoidable optical problems are not corrected.
Meniscus lenses work well only in the center. This is why most of the oldest cameras have fixed apertures of f/8 or f/11 that
are smaller than the diameter of the front lens: the builders limited the aperture of the iris in order to prevent the outer sides
pf the meniscus lens to contribute to the image at all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Silly question: one lens lens? Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:

Using glass of different refraction zones melted together in one lens....

Your question prompted a search for "variable refractive index lens", which took me here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luneburg_lens

And searchs for "Luneburg lens" and "Maxwell Fisheye" took me to all kinds of interesting places.

So, even though I can't answer it, thanks for your question.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Silly question: one lens lens? Reply with quote

sichko wrote:

Your question prompted a search for "variable refractive index lens"

That is not what he wrote about. He wrote about melting together different types of optical glass.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Silly question: one lens lens? Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
sichko wrote:

Your question prompted a search for "variable refractive index lens"

That is not what he wrote about. He wrote about melting together different types of optical glass.

Imagine two pieces of glass, A & B, with matching geometrical surfaces but different chemical compositions and different refractive indices. Heat the surfaces of A and B so that they soften (i.e., begin to melt). Then press the two surfaces together and allow to cool. If we are lucky (or clever !) then as the two glasses mix at the interface we obtain a region which has a refractive index which is intermediate between that of pure A and that of pure B. In principle we could take very many thin pieces of glass, with small differences in refractive indices between adjacent pairs, and fuse them together, to give a thick lens with a large difference between the refractive index at the front of the lens and that at the back.

I thought that this was what the OP meant by “melt together” (? = verschmelzen in German ?).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Novoflex 400/5.6 and 600/8
Both are doublets and quite good.

There are also some more modern "semi-Apo" ED doublets used for telescopes in focal lengths from ~400mm to ~2000mm with prices ranging from a few hundred to many thousands € in telescope shops. They are outstanding in terms of resolution and CA control but have a slightly curved field of sharpness without further correction elements. There are dedicated correctors for that available for (astro-)photography with large sensors (APS-C and larger). Another problem is that they are mostly produced in China with bad quality control - sometimes recalibration of the lens assembly on an optical bench is necessary to get everything out of the lenses (Here in Germany there are several companies are offering such a service, starting at 50€)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I also understood.
Gluing two pieces of glass together with different refractive indexes seems like a rather crude and inelegant solution.
I don't think there is a practical alternative yet however. There are quite a few patents filed on this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Silly question: one lens lens? Reply with quote

sichko wrote:

Your question prompted a search for "variable refractive index lens", which took me here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luneburg_lens

And searchs for "Luneburg lens" and "Maxwell Fisheye" took me to all kinds of interesting places.

So, even though I can't answer it, thanks for your question.

THANK YOU sichko!
This is absolutely what I was thinking of!
As so often, good ideas are still thought by an other person (even if a German again Laughing ) years ago ....

Sorry to ori and others, perhaps I did unprecise formulation, but sichko hit the thing!

Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the link above, you can find the link to GRIN lens http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradient-index_optics . Some lens makers do try to put GRIN glass to the photography lens but never make on till now. I heard that theoretically you can make a high quality lens with only two GRIN elements.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Silly question: one lens lens? Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
duckrider wrote:

Using glass of different refraction zones melted together in one lens....

taken from Wikipedia: "In practice, Luneburg lenses are normally layered structures of discrete concentric shells, each of a different refractive index". That is, not really a simple, single lens at least from my point of view (application: antennas, by the way). Anyay, if the OP is glad, I'm glad too Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplest single-piece-of-glass camera out there (that I know of and that returns usable results on a regular basis) is the Kodak Brownie Hawkeye Flash. There are other box camera, too, but the BHF is a lot of fun.

So for simple lenses, I've been experimenting with this a bit the last month and plan to try and get at least one good pictorialist-style photo this year. So that end, I picked up a plastic half-sphere cabochon (which is basically a 75mm 1:1.5 lens) and three lenses from Surplus Shed (plano-convex, Meniscus, and one other I forget the type of.) Each has a positive focal length that ranges from about 80mm to 100mm (making them all about f1.5, too.) I've not tested the image circles yet, but they're probably large enough to at least cover medium-format.

Anyway, single lenses can provide good results -- the BHF being an example that provides good (if slightly low-contrast) images with sufficient detail. The cheapest thing to do if you are really eager it to pick up a positive meniscus lens from Surplus Shed or eBay. Make sure it has a focal length at least double your camera's flange to prevent it from contacting the mirror, etc. Then grab some black plastic (such as the bags that film or photo paper come in) and tape a skirt around the lens. You can then free-lens without light entering the space between the lens and camera. More intense would be a tube-in-tube structure that allows focusing and possible even some removable aperture rings. The results won't ever be Zeiss-like, but they may produce interesting results.