Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some from my Rokkor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Some from my Rokkor Reply with quote

Minolta 50mm f/1.4 MC Rokkor PG This is my oldest lens, having been with me since early '70s. I'm emotionally attached to it, but also love it for what it does. Through this lens has traveled images from all that I have loved. My girlfriends, including my wife; my parents; family; relatives; all of my children; friends; myself as a young man; my cars; all the dogs I have loved; etc. The lens has seen my life come into focus.

On Sunday I used the lens as I have many times before, but never before have I used it wide open as much. I was somewhat surprised by the bokeh in some of the photos - I didn't think it would provide this type of specular highlight rings. Some shots are stopped down.

This was shot at f/5.6 and is a merge of ten images. The door had cars parked in front where I could,'t get a picture of it without obstruction, so I took ten images, close up, and merged them to create the entire door. This is similar to the Breziner method, except stopped down and not for the same effect. This also creates a very crisp image since it is essentially the same as using a much larger format.

During our walks downtown, I mope along finding things to photograph. When my wife gets far enough ahead, she parks herself somewhere and reads while waiting for me to catch up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very fine series. The door is especially stunning

patrickh

BTW: what an understanding wife!

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something seriously wrong here - they are all so consistently good, that it cannot be just then lens.
Unfortunately it must be you then... Wink

Amazing work!!

Oh, you even wrote it so wonderfully personal + emotional "...I'm emotionally attached to that lens...", so no wonder the results are so good!!

Let somebody else explain that way better than I can:

"Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera" – Yousuf Karsh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make any lens to gold just like Luis or Lars or Klaus .... long list luckily from good photographers here , great series , excellent presentation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shhh the first thing about Rokkor club is you don't talk about Rokkor club
I have the same lens, and i love it attached to my very first Minolta that i owned the lovely x300, I bought it with aterrible sigma zoom lens and it is a surprise i ever got in to taking photos it was such a terrible lens, but now i can afford these cheap excellent lenses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats, fine colorful series!

kds wrote:
There is something seriously wrong here - they are all so consistently good, that it cannot be just then lens.
Unfortunately it must be you then... Wink

+1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice story, great series, thanks for sharing,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very good plus.

Did you use ring attached to the lens for close up ? It focus from 50 cm, and some of your excellent pics are closer than this, I guess.

I have that lens too, and love it.

Actually don't use a lot like time before, because use more the PG 1,2/58. Almost the same.

Congratulations for that images, so nice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great set.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are really great. The detail on the old door, especially, is incredible. I like how weathered wood looks photographically, and that's a pretty good rendition.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a great series!

I have the same too, but can't recall that this lens is as good. may be it's time to bring it forward.

Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so many nice comments, thank you all so much. I will try to answer questions...

David: Yes, as I indicated, merging images results in very crisp results. Notice how many repairs that door has had.

Dr, Juan: No rins or extension tubes, just the adapter to mount to my NEX-5N. However, I do crop images as part of my post processing routine. The close-up of the bee was cropped about 50%.

eddieitman: This lens came on my SRT-102 which I bought in 1973.

Attila: Thank you for regarding me with such good company.

Klaus: I love the quote, thank you. And by the way, I have stopped sharpening my images post camera since you convinced me a while back.

patrickh: Yes, my wife is very supportive. And I had the lens before her. Used it to capture her sentiments our first summer together in 1974:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice series, I cannot write better comment than above. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice photos..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last image from your wife a crown on series, so lovely !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
last image from your wife a crown on series, so lovely !

+1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All excellent! I haven't seen a bad Minolta lens, but you make that one sing!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful series. I, too, have a bunch of 50mm rokkors. I've been waiting for a FF mirroless to take them out again.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More recent from my beloved Rokkor...

Soft - handheld at 1/10 sec.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super images. From the last batch I especially love the man on the beach and the dog.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good lens with a good eye behind it, what more do we need? Very good set! I'm also a Minolta fan, but i should definitely use them more !!