Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Concert with Tamron 500mm f8 55BB, TC 2x 200F, on K5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Concert with Tamron 500mm f8 55BB, TC 2x 200F, on K5 Reply with quote

Tamron mirror 500mm f8, model 55BB, and TC 2x model 200F, on Pentax K5

Handheld at relatively far distance 60-80m in dim light.
The K5's shake reduction has max at 800mm, iso bumped up (4000/6400) to get non blurred images.
K5 equiped with katzeye split screen.

Click to enlarge.

500mm f8

500mm f8 + TC 2x = 1000mm f16:
I feel here is the limit of what K5 can deliver in this case: iso6400, 1/800s, 1000mm, handheld.

and more of 500mm:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive results. I'm still looking for a good deal on one of these lenses, I already have the 3M-5CA but I'd like to compare the two.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive, especially for handheld! I notice a bit of purple CA in the first image -- the violin bow crossing the sheet music at an angle. Since mirrors don't have CA, this had to be coming from the 2x. But still a very minimal amount.

I have the 55BB and I've found that it is surprisingly sharp for a mirror lens. Plus that extra long focusing throw it has (almost 360 degrees) makes it much easier to nail focus than other mirrors that have much shorter focusing throws.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Gary and Michael.

No Michael, the first photo is the lens alone. Only the photos I noted as 1000mm has the TC 2x 200F.
The purple color might came from the scene flood light. They did have color spots, but still dark.
Focusing at this distance is about 1-2mm focus throw. The K5's SR did a great job.

The lens is sharp and light weight.
It's an semi outdoor event. Best distance is <50m. I was hoping to get a seat around 30-40m.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:

No Michael, the first photo is the lens alone. Only the photos I noted as 1000mm has the TC 2x 200F.
The purple color might came from the scene flood light. They did have color spots, but still dark.
Focusing at this distance is about 1-2mm focus throw. The K5's SR did a great job.

Ah, well, I would have never thought of there being colored spots. But it makes sense. It reminds me of one photo that is in my portfolio -- it was dark and the subject was lit in part by fire and in part with very deep blue floods. This blue color was almost undetectable, except in the deepest shadows, and actually became a challenge to get rid of in post processing. Anyway, with your photo, the dark purple/bluish is almost not noticeable.

Yeah, I've noticed with my 55BB that, even with the long throw, precise focusing often requires a very small amount of movement. All the more reason to love having that long throw, eh?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long focus throw is critical for me to select a lens.
I read about nikon reflex (Calvin), that it has even longer focus throw.
I had a chance to buy it cheap ealier, but already have the tamron, and pass the deal.

Regarding focus throw, i really dislike the nikkor 35/1.4 ais. The samyang has longer (1m - infinity)
I read the distagon cy has even shorter, but i got tried distagon 1.4/35 zf.2 and it is the longest so far...
Takumars have long focus throw, just love them...