Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 2.8/300mm L + 4.5/500mm L on 5DII + NEX 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Canon FD 2.8/300mm L + 4.5/500mm L on 5DII + NEX 7 Reply with quote

Some of the best telephoto lenses you can buy are the 2.8/300mm and the 4.5/500mm Canon Supertele lenses.

Both lenses are excellent, because of the fluorite glas elements, they use.

And this is my newest aquisition.. the 4.5/500mm L

Elements/Groups: 7 Elements in 6 Groups
9 Elements aperture
4.5-5.6-8-11-16-22-32, in half stops
close distance: 5 m
Dimension:
Length ~ 43 cm
Diameter of frontglas: 128mm
Weight: 2610 g

Comes with Ed Mika 0.75mm FD to EOS Adaptor (was the wrong one, 0.5 type is necessary. I corrected this by myself)

For testing the lens performance, i did use my NEX 7 and my Canon 5D MKII to combine the cams with the lenses.

First shoot only to see, how the 500mm lens performs on infinty and whats about CA's for this combination with the Canon 2 x Extender.

Therefore i did use my NEX 7 via FD Adaptor and attached a Canon 2x Extender (Version 2) to the FD 500mm L lens.

Let us count a bit for the focal lenght.. (2x 500mm=1000mm) x cropfactor 1.5 = 1.500mm for shooting the moon as the ultimate infinity point... this is a crop!

Not bad at all.. Very Happy

After adjusting the infinity to get this results in the moon shot, i want to see, how the lens performance is on EOS 5D MKII

So i did a walk in the nearest Zoo..

Lets see some pictures of a flamingo first..

and now lets go in details for that shot..

BOAH... thats really great.. Very Happy

Want some more..?

and the details again..

I own a second telephoto lens from this FD L-Series, the Canon FD 2.8/300mm L... also a very, very great piece of glas...

Before i did the decision to buy the 500mm L lens, i was interested in compairing the

Canon 5D MKII + Canon FD 4.5/500mm L, which gives real 500mm

against

SONY NEX 7 + Canon FD 2.8/300mm L which give virtual 2.8/450mm focal length

So the difference in focal lenght is small.. but whats about image qualitiy?

Let us see.. how the NEX + 300mm combination works against what we have seen from the 500mm lens on the 5D MKII..

NEX 7 + 2.8/300mm L

Details...

All shots are open aperture shots without tri- or monopod, only leaning myself or the lens on walls, edges or something which helps reducing the shake. (no sharpen applied !)
The lens is not to heavy for that kind of use and the easy to use inner focus mechanic (only one floating group inside construction) makes it easy work with those lenses at about 500mm

IMHO both lenses are the best you can buy for telephoto shooting..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these Canon L "telecsopes" Smile
IQ is always impressive for such problematic focal length/speed combos.
I whish I had one Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Canon FD 2.8/300mm L + 4.5/500mm L on 5DII + NEX 7 Reply with quote

The FD 500/4.5L is really a greta quality lens!
I was amazed when I got some years ago (pre Ed Mika adapter time) on to convert and repair.
The image quality - even with extension tubes - was absolute great.
And the weight and size make hand holding still possible. With my FD 400/2.8 or 800/5.6 (more than 5kg) it is possible too for me, but quite exhausting and one need much light.

hinnerker wrote:
Comes with Ed Mika 0.75mm FD to EOS Adaptor (was the wrong one, 0.5 type is necessary. I corrected this by myself)

Thanks for the info here, so it was like I wrote the old thicker adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Shocked

These pictures are really impressive !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed they are stunning!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 impressive quality !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Wow Shocked

These pictures are really impressive !

Shocked +1 Shocked