Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Visioflex, extension tube & Diopter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Visioflex, extension tube & Diopter Reply with quote

First off, sorry for asking some silly questions. But I am relatively new to the photography world. Trying to familiarize myself with different things within the shortest time. I was seeing a fixed price item on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130900743478

This one. It says the lens comes with a focusing adapter OTZFO. What is this? How is it even beneficial? Also what is Visioflex system? I don't seem find enough information on this. Please help. Also the lens itself looks short to me comparing to other telephoto pre-war Leicas. The seller doesn't know much that's why I am here asking for help.

On another note, I have seen a lot of posts on this forum about diopter. Where it does look kind of weird to me but I am interested in using it. I don't know which one is good though, any suggestion?

Lastly, should I get an extension tube or a good macro lens? Macro lenses are much expensive from what I have seen thus far. If I were to pick up an extension tube do I pick one that goes with a particular lens (what the lens mount is) or my camera (NEX mount)?

Awaiting your responses.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It says the lens comes with a focusing adapter OTZFO. What is this?

On the Visoflex system lenses were provided without an integrated focusing helicoid, which may be purchased separately. The OTZFO is the focusing helicoid for the 90mm f/2.8 Elmarit (and other lenses). That is the reason why the lens itself is so short.

Quote:
Also what is Visioflex system?

Visoflex is a system developed by Leica with the goal to transform the Leica M rangefinder cameras into a kind of SLR cameras. In order to do this a mirror & ground glass adapter, focusing adapters and special lenses (with very long register distance to allow the use of the mirror adapter) were used. Just google for "Visoflex" and you'll find more.

Quote:
On another note, I have seen a lot of posts on this forum about diopter. Where it does look kind of weird to me but I am interested in using it. I don't know which one is good though, any suggestion?

A diopter is a simple lens, just as glasses lenses. It can be positive or negative. The positive ones, mounted in front of your camera lenses, helps those lenses to focus closer (just like glasses with positive diopter lenses are helping one's longsightedness eyes focus closer and read).
The good ones are not simple lenses but achromatic ones and are more expensive. Leica , Nikon, Canon made quality achromats.
Leica achromatic lenses are called "Elpro" and are very good ones.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the absence of a macro lens, a cheap set of extension tubes will work super. I have a set for my NEX in Sony NEX E fitting. So any of my lenses will work using the normal adapter. Mine cost about £8 from China.

Better than close up lenses (diopters)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Dan!

I bought a snap on macro lens Raynox 250 and ordered some ext tubes. Let's see how much magnification I get out of this system. Smile