Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RE, Auto-Topcor 3,5/25
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very lovely pictures, and yes very vivid colour rendition.

Where were the photographs taken? The old castle and church look amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The campsite is on the beach at Point Sands on the Kintyre peninsula in Argyll and the castle just across the peninsula it`s called Skipness castle built in the 13/14th century as was the old chapel St. Brendans. It overlooks Kilbrannan sound and the isle of Arran, lovely spot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:
The campsite is on the beach at Point Sands on the Kintyre peninsula in Argyll and the castle just across the peninsula it`s called Skipness castle built in the 13/14th century as was the old chapel St. Brendans. It overlooks Kilbrannan sound and the isle of Arran, lovely spot.

Thanks for enlightening me. It does indeed look like a very nice place.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the pics, they are very vivid.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 great sets Macca !

Very Happy owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,the colours believe it or not were not over saturated, the light and colours at the weekend were just fantastic here ( a rarity for us), as Woodrim noted on another thread, the blue skies out of the Topcors are really something, the polariser probably added to that effect.

The old filter/hood was handy after all Mir.

I`ve never used a linear before and still not sure about LRs direct flickr uploading and can see some "effects" of the upload in blue skies ( I`ve noticed this before in other blue sky shots) I may try to redupload outwith the app at some point to see if it makes a difference.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Black 25/3.5 Reply with quote

The black 25/3.5 RE. Auto-Topcor is insanely rare. The "Topcon Story" book doesn't even list it as existing. I've seen one on eBay, serial number 933885.

No sign of any 20/4's in black yet.

The earlier black lenses may have the chromed brass filter nose. When they switched all production to black, with the extended "TOPCON" on the front ring, the filter noses were black anodized aluminum, like the rest of the lens. The production of the 20mm and 25mm lenses never switched to black, they weren't big sellers at the end.

Another lens that's rather rare in black is the 200/5.6.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive. Wish I could afford one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim, pm your budget and I will keep an eye out over this side of the pond if you like. I would like to see what you can do with one.

The Tocpon Club has some interesting points to make about black versions versus chrome, they seem to discuss the effects of "reflections" in some chrome models. Not sure my skills at deciphering google translations from Japanese make that accurate though!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Chrome filter rings Reply with quote

Yeah, the chrome-plated brass filter rings on the F. Auto-Topcor and earlier RE. Auto-Topcor lenses are not a good idea optically. They can definitely reflect sunlight into the lens. But the chrome ones are much less likely to gall (get stuck) with an aluminum-ring filter than the later black anodized aluminum filter ones.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More from a recent trip to Dubrovnik ,there`s some barrel or possibly even moustache type distortion?? which I don`t always try to correct, partly because I`m not always successful at it! So probably not ideal for those perfect architectural shots. It`s just a fantastic lens and I feel lucky to have one. There`s still occasionally blue colour bleed from the top of blue sky shots into buildings and I`m not sure if it`s the polariser that`s causing it, I also forgot to take off the rear uv lens sometimes so a fair few of these were shot with uv and the linear polariser on front.
I`m hoping to get some seascapes with it at some point as I suspect this will be where it excels.

9. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful images.
The last two are exceptional for me. Number 9 is a top shot!
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality shots from a quality shooter with a quality lens !

Great work !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 is my fav!

Very good series overall

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, great series, great lens! Reminds me when I have been there last year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive shots, lots of detail and nice natural colors.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, it`s a great city to visit but difficult to avoid a cliched shot, a walk around the walls is a must,it`s easier to avoid the crowds up there. Very hot and high contrast though when I did so, take a hat and plenty of water or better still time it for sunset!

90% of the original rooftiles were destroyed during the war, the shots I posted show the original colours which are more attractive than the chocolate boxy bright orange new ones IMO.

Lokrum island just off the harbour offers a few good photo opportunities also.

I`d be interested in opinions on the distortion and whether it`s worth processing all the time? Anyone used PTlens? or would I lose too much by cropping with the changes?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't notice any distortions. but i'm not picky:)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:
I`d be interested in opinions on the distortion and whether it`s worth processing all the time? Anyone used PTlens? or would I lose too much by cropping with the changes?

The images where you've corrected look good. Only number 2 seems to have a problem with the way the horizon dips on the right. Others where the distortion is severe, it becomes part of the image and is what it is. I wouldn't worry about those. I'd try to avoid using the lens where it would create issues like with number 2, but then just use your judgement as you did with these.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the horizon dip on #2 is just natural ? Why only on the right and not on the left ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series of shots, thanks for sharing. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterinex wrote:
Maybe the horizon dip on #2 is just natural ? Why only on the right and not on the left ?

I was hoping someone with more experience of distortion in lens than me could explain it, I have a similar shot taken when camping and the horizon dips almost identically towards the right. As Woodrim says it`s no deal breaker, I`m very happy with what I get from this lens and it was a general query as to what type of distortion folks thought it could be and whether other posters who use it or tried in the past think distortion correction is worth the effort.

For what its worth most of my Topcors including the 58mm 1.4 show some mild distortion characteristics on FF. It has not put me off in any way and I would collect them all if I had the money!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:
asterinex wrote:

I was hoping someone with more experience of distortion in lens than me could explain it, I have a similar shot taken when camping and the horizon dips almost identically towards the right. As Woodrim says it`s no deal breaker, I`m very happy with what I get from this lens and it was a general query as to what type of distortion folks thought it could be and whether other posters who use it or tried in the past think distortion correction is worth the effort.

For what its worth most of my Topcors including the 58mm 1.4 show some mild distortion characteristics on FF. It has not put me off in any way and I would collect them all if I had the money!

Well I have had similar results as well i.e. lifting at top left on full frame, testing a few lenses on a brick wall......... and no one gave an answer Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I`ve spotted a a black one, didn`t think they existed...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171193246013&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:3160