Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Practicing With Contax AX and Ultron
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Practicing With Contax AX and Ultron Reply with quote

I'm leaving Monday for a week in the rain forest of the Quinault River. I can't wait, this will be a nice 5 day hike up to Enchanted Valley, giving me plenty of time to work with the Ultron lens!

These are some practice shots I took a few days ago, just to make sure I'm operating things correctly.

Bear in mind that these are not intended to be 'beauty images', rather just to show the output from the AX with Ultron lens.

All looks acceptable and I feel that the Ultron shows good sharpness. Maybe the reds could be toned down, but that is in the scanning of the 35mm slides. Perhaps I would sharpen these, but maybe not.

Velvia-F 100 speed film.

The Epson doesn't really 'like' 35mm slides, as medium format slides are its sweet spot.

The combination of lens and film shows the true pinkish-reddish coloration of the bark.

Blasted the highlights a little, on the right side. But that's a learning process about cutting my exposure a little. I'll more than likely bracket exposures when I'm on my hike:

Infinity shot. If anything, I would work on the colors of the hillsides in Photoshop, but not too bad from straight out of camera
and scanner. I am pleased with the AF capability of the AX, and I am pleased about the sharpness of the leaves on the right
side of the image. I also like the sharpness near the edges - for instance the trees in the water at the edge of the image show
nice sharpness and detail. The old Zeiss Ultron is a pretty good lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad Larry!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Not bad Larry!!

Thanks Klaus. Of course, my judgement is on the technical aspects rather than the composition. I think that I should be
able to get some good images from the Ultron on the upcoming trek. We'll see what happens. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you'll get some excellent results Larry!

Personally I would have underexposed a bit like 1/3EV (could be the scanning SW also),
to achieve a bit richer colors, but that's a matter of personal taste...as you have been
there, not me, and you better know how it looked like. I try to match what I see when
I shoot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I'm pretty sure you'll get some excellent results Larry!

Personally I would have underexposed a bit like 1/3EV (could be the scanning SW also),
to achieve a bit richer colors, but that's a matter of personal taste...as you have been
there, not me, and you better know how it looked like. I try to match what I see when
I shoot.

I totally agree; in fact, mentioned above that I 'blasted' some highlights. Very Happy Also, I'm
going to bracket until I better understand the nuances of the camera and lens combination.
Thank you VERY much for the reply and suggestion. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most welcome Larry! I know you're just testing, hence I gave you my feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you back with your mountain pictures Larry. They are always a welcome view!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you really improve on these?

The colors look great for the tree/undergrowth...I am basing this on typical NZ bush scenery.Which I am sure is fairly close to what you see and capture so magnificently on slide film in your part of the world.

Is the tree a Redwood variety?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nice to see you back with your mountain pictures Larry. They are always a welcome view!

+100

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great trip, Larry! I look forward to your results. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing images, result is far better than most 35mm scan on Epson, can't wait to see more!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Can you really improve on these?

The colors look great for the tree/undergrowth...I am basing this on typical NZ bush scenery.Which I am sure is fairly close to what you see and capture so magnificently on slide film in your part of the world.

Is the tree a Redwood variety?

Hey Mo! No, the tree is a Western Red Cedar. There are some really huge ones about 300 meters away from this one.
I shot this one because it was right beside the trail. The Redwoods are found in northern California, and a tiny little bit
of them near Oregon's south border in the coastal areas. The world record Western Red Cedar is across the valley
about 4 miles from here. It is 74 feet around, which equates to about 24 feet in diameter. So that would convert to
about 7.3 meters in diameter. Most of these bigger trees are over 1000 years old, and some approach 1200 years old.

In this same area are the world record Mountain Hemlock, Red Alder, Douglas Fir, Sitka Spruce, Yellow Cedar, Silver Fir,
Vine Maple, and some others that I have forgotten about. Quite a panoply of big trees!

Of course, 14 feet (about 4.3 meters?) of yearly rainfall helps a bit, too. Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Thanks for the details,the size of these trees just blow me away...could you actually fit that one in a frame to take its picture?
That amount of rain sounds crazy, but I know down the bottom end of NZ in Fiordland it's very similar.I have not been to this part of NZ but assume it would have similar sized trees and lots of sandflies ...like mosquitoes but worse IMHO.

Anyway you capture the Greens and Browns very nicely and it's always a pleasure to see your work.Australia has a different coloring of Greens and Browns....at least where I live.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

+1

Have a good time on your hiking trip, Larry!