Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Sonnar 100/3.5 and NEX-7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Contax Sonnar 100/3.5 and NEX-7 Reply with quote

I love this lens, it may well become my new travel tele. The following pictures are just snapshots from a 10 minute walk. Exposure and WB adjusted in Aperture on a couple of the pictures.

1. Wide open, strong sunlight

2. 100% crop of above

3. Wide open

4. Wide open

5. Wide open

6. Wide open, almost into the sun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good images.
Look a little cool to me - is that from PP or does the lens always show that.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a nice focal length on a NEX, well, I think it is anyway. I use my Tamron 90 a lot on the NEX, and I'd like a good 100mm. the Sonnar looks very good indeed. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My NR1 lens Smile congrats for camera too Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. The cool WB is from post processing, I think I went too far on a couple of the images. The lens itself is typically warm Zeiss.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, bit too much on the greenish side, white flowers are no longer white (shadow side, not sun)... Wink

Nice!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens, I lost an auction 2 weeks ago at ebay for just some bucks, my intention was to use it at my home studio,

Renato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^lol
I do like my Canon RF 100/3.5, I wonder if its a clone?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that these images are anything special, they are not. I was just shooting away, to get to know the lens a bit. But what I did learn and what I was hoping to show was the following:
- the lens is extremely sharp ( picture 1)
- the lens handls flare very well (the last picture)
- the bokeh is smooth (flower pictures)
- high contrast (bridge)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not want to take sides in those 'friendly' disputes but just to add my 2c. Digital photography often times requires at least basic PP (curves, brightness, contrast) to get the image closer to reality (or reality as seen by the photographer). All the more with old manual lenses. These pictures could be easily edited into more contrasty and/or sharper but that would defy the purpose of this forum - to show what the old lenses are capable of. For that, we need unprocessed pictures so as not to be biased by someone's photoshop skills. I'm sure, most members here do not put into their personal portfolios what they post here (although many times, the pictures are great enough for that even without PP). I see some pictures in this thread that are very nice (and will be even better with some basic PP)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens looks quite capable! I mean, after all it IS a Sonnar design. What is the 'multiplier' of the 100mm lens? In other words, what does it become 'equivalent' to from a 35mm system perspective? Is it 200mm, or something else? Just a curiosity.

The flare resistance is astonishing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 150mm on the NEX. I agree, the flare resistance is incredible, especially taking into account that I was shooting without a hood.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
It's 150mm on the NEX. I agree, the flare resistance is incredible, especially taking into account that I was shooting without a hood.

I see. Might be a nice focal length for portraits as well. The last two images (5,6) are showing an impressive detail output from the lens, especially for wide open. I have a very capable Yashica ML 100 lens on C/Y mount for my Contax AX, but I'm almost positive it WOULD have some flare if I had tried to take a picture of #6. The flare would most probably have shown between the leaves.

Ummm...a keeper for sure, right? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens my all time best portrait lens, superb sharpness, contrast whatever you can say positive from a lens and not huge like faster Planar 85mm.

I did clean topic from useless, rude comments. Please follow a simple rule as always critics , must be polite and detailed , to say crap not helps just hurt no matter true or not if you can't do, ignore post, only polite and detailed critics can help to learn we don't need anything else.

Last edited by Attila on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot agree more - on lens and remarks about common courtesy in forums.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image slightly adjusted in Aperture. Some nice pop and 3D going on here. f8 near minimum focus distance