Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

120 spool sizes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: 120 spool sizes Reply with quote

Is there more than one standard 120 spool size? I mean flange diameter?

Here are two 120 spools, the metal one out of a Voigtlander Bessa and the wooden one from my Icarette. The flange size is different 25mm for the voigtlander and 21mm for the Icarette. The voigtlander spool will not fit in my icarette. I dont have a modern 120 spool to measure against. Which is right? and can I use 120 in my Icarette as I'm supposed to do?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like some kind of 620 reel? When I get home tonight I'll take a picture of a 120 and a 620, plus I have a few wooden reels too...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

620 same long , but diameter is less on ends.I use nail clipper to make 620 film from 120.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one seems like a strange combination, 620 also has a smaller spindle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
That looks like some kind of 620 reel? When I get home tonight I'll take a picture of a 120 and a 620, plus I have a few wooden reels too...

Nesster wrote:
This one seems like a strange combination, 620 also has a smaller spindle

Yes, 620 has a smaller hole and thinner core and was introduced in 1932 this camera pre-dates 620 by about 10 years. Wierd.

It seems that I must re-spool 120 onto a 620 spool or nail-clip it.

Anyone got a spare 620 spool I can buy?

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at all the old spools I have, and verified I haven't seen something like this before. The wooden ones may have small or no rims to their ends, but are about the same size as the metal and plastic ones. Plus, I hadn't been completely aware that there are two styles of spools - one with the drive slots on both ends, and another older style where one end is round rather than keyed.

I should have included a 620 spool with these -- it's FAR more delicate, a tiny spindle and of course the spool ends are small. Plus, the holes at the ends are again tiny compared to a 120 spool

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 120 spool sizes Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Is there more than one standard 120 spool size? I mean flange diameter?

Here are two 120 spools, the metal one out of a Voigtlander Bessa and the wooden one from my Icarette. The flange size is different 25mm for the voigtlander and 21mm for the Icarette. The voigtlander spool will not fit in my icarette. I dont have a modern 120 spool to measure against. Which is right? and can I use 120 in my Icarette as I'm supposed to do?

It may be an effect of perspective due to the relative positions of the camera and the spools, but the spools appear to be of different lengths. What width of film do they respectively accommodate? (The thought of 116 or something else film size for the one on the left is going through my mind, but then I would more commonly associate e.g. 116 with variants of e.g. the Voigtlander Inos rather than Bessa. But the Bessa did have a 6.5x11 model http://www.ukcamera.com/classic_cameras/voigt7.htm . ). Confused

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
I looked at all the old spools I have, and verified I haven't seen something like this before. The wooden ones may have small or no rims to their ends, but are about the same size as the metal and plastic ones. Plus, I hadn't been completely aware that there are two styles of spools - one with the drive slots on both ends, and another older style where one end is round rather than keyed.

I should have included a 620 spool with these -- it's FAR more delicate, a tiny spindle and of course the spool ends are small. Plus, the holes at the ends are again tiny compared to a 120 spool

Thanks for this, interesting that a couple don't have the key slots. There seems to be quite a variance in 120 spools!

I think I may have a solution, the Ica spool flanges are almost identical to the spool in a 35mm cartridge. Bottom left.

I could make a couple of spools using 10mm dowel and the 35mm ends. It would require re-spooling 120 film though.

While investigating this avenue I made a 35mm adapter I could use 35mm film in this camera.

The body is too thin for a 35mm film cartridge so It would require taking it out of the cartridge, rewinding in the dark and replacing in a re-useable one.

I may go down this route initially rather than spend lots of money on 120 film that may get ruined. I will make a mask and put a pressure plate behind the plate holder.

What a pain!!

Thank you Nesster for your help in this.

I have learned that 120 spools have some variance - at least in early cameras. I suspect you had to buy Ica's own brand film for this camera.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got a bunch of 35mm spools from ASDA and I'm about to make a couple of 120 spools and a 35mm adapter. Having a digiback is good, but I'm bursting to put a real film of some sort through it!!

pic taken on the Icarette with digital back!