Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cyclop - The One-Eyed Monster
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think you must also try out the proper Cyclop version.

What do u mean by proper version? Looks like ROMZ did several different versions...
I know this one is not derivated from Helios 40, but still funny to use Smile .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
Quote:
I think you must also try out the proper Cyclop version.

What do u mean by proper version? Looks like ROMZ did several different versions...
I know this one is not derivated from Helios 40, but still funny to use Smile .

There is only one Helios 40-2 clone version. Maybe some differences in coating depending on date of manufacture...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here have samples of photos taken with the 85mm 1.2 version of this lens lens fully intact? Macro is fine. I am looking at getting one to adapt to Leica M mount, no mirror problem with the protrusion. Still not sure if it would cover full 35mm format but it would be nice to see what the IQ is like with all the glass intact. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long live The One-Eyed Monster thread. Was out yesterday in totally inappropriate light for this fast lens. My shutter was maxed out at 1/4000 and blinking warnings, but I used it anyway. The Cyclop really can be quite sharp when focused spot-on. I was at least close on most focus. I do miss the whacky bokeh I was getting before I fixed the crooked element. Has anyone shot birds in flight with the Cyclop? Challenging. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice serie !
I especially like #2, 7 and 8.

#5 is amazing. Shocked

Congratulations, Woodrim. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Very nice serie !
I especially like #2, 7 and 8. #5 is amazing.

+1!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I had some fun with my cyclop next to the sea...

Like woodrim, it was in the sunny day, so was hard to deal with the f/1.5

I guess the Woodrim's cyclop is the Helios 40 copy, cause mine (not H-40 copy) have a lot more of blur in the "corners", and it's very soft... But I like extreme Very Happy .

Those shot are not perfect at all, but I like the "savage" bokeh in the #1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check for a reversed element, or at least if they aren't misaligned.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd check for a reversed element, or at least if they aren't misaligned.

Thx for advice Smile , but I like this lens Very Happy. When I screw it on my Nex, that's the result I'm looking for.. when I want sharpness and good IQ, I use another lens then . Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox: That's a very nice effect. The first can maybe use some contrast, unless that's the way you wanted it. The rear lens is prone to loosening on the Cyclop, but is very easy to fix. Mine had much more strange bokeh when the glass was loose. In some ways I liked it better. Shake yours and listen for glass rattle.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same loosen glass issue. Smile

I like your second shot very much.
I only regret the cut feet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
BurstMox: That's a very nice effect. The first can maybe use some contrast, unless that's the way you wanted it. The rear lens is prone to loosening on the Cyclop, but is very easy to fix. Mine had much more strange bokeh when the glass was loose. In some ways I liked it better. Shake yours and listen for glass rattle.

It's not Helios-40 Cyclop he is shooting with.

Nice pastel images nevertheless.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I only regret the cut feet.

I too :/ , but fact is that if I wanted the feets, the head would enter into the "blurry area" :/.

I'll check if I hear something when I shake it Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love the second image Pierre Very Happy

Perhaps if you had been further away, a different crop may have perfected it. But still, I think it's one of the best images I've seen in a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
I really love the second image Pierre Very Happy

Perhaps if you had been further away, a different crop may have perfected it. But still, I think it's one of the best images I've seen in a long time.

+1 Smile

Pierre, did you shoot it in France ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pierre, did you shoot it in France ?

No, it was in Yujniy (Южний), near Odessa, Ukraine Smile .

I dunno yet exactly when I'll come back to France.

I've shaked the lens (I guess I looked smart at this moment), no sound inside.

Btw, thx everyone for comments

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted these in the Digital Forum, but will post here again to keep this thread going. As you all know, the Cyclop requires very precise focusing, but when done right, can be quite sharp. However, this was not my best day for focusing - blame my bad eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bokeh is quite busy ... Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stilian wrote:
The bokeh is quite busy ... Smile

Such is the nature of the beast.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite nice IMO Woodrim, I now how hard it is to nail with the Cyclop Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
Yesterday I had some fun with my cyclop next to the sea...

Like woodrim, it was in the sunny day, so was hard to deal with the f/1.5

I guess the Woodrim's cyclop is the Helios 40 copy, cause mine (not H-40 copy) have a lot more of blur in the "corners", and it's very soft... But I like extreme Very Happy .

Those shot are not perfect at all, but I like the "savage" bokeh in the #1

Woww ... what kind of Cyclops lens is that? .. or something wrong with the optic? But the dreamy bokeh is awesome Smile I like it ... for certain purpose it might be great (video, dreamy concept, etc.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Woww ... what kind of Cyclops lens is that? .. or something wrong with the optic? But the dreamy bokeh is awesome Smile I like it ... for certain purpose it might be great (video, dreamy concept, etc.)

The classical non-helios type version with protuberant stuff on the back (since I use it only on Nex, I don't need to cut it) :

I used it 2 days ago, still give the same softness wih crazy bokeh... but I like it Smile I prefer to keep it and buy an Helios 40(well, need to wait for some years to gather money Very Happy ), than trying to "repair" this Cyclop, even if nothing looks to go wrong on the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre: I notice on that last B&W shot that there are some areas that are fairly sharp, but notice they are in the darker areas. Try underexposing by 2/3 or even a full stop, then correct in post processing. My Cyclop works pretty well on my NEX, but with my SLR I needed to underexpose by a full stop for a good image.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I will try this next time I'll use it, thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Comparing Canon 85 1.2 II and Cyclop 85 1.5 Reply with quote

dfsfsfd

Last edited by MoonPix on Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total