Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best dual purpose Macro - Short Tele around 100mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Best dual purpose Macro - Short Tele around 100mm Reply with quote

I wonder which macro lens around 100mm is considered the best dual purpose lens, i.e. one that can be used for portraits and landscapes as well. I have a few candidates in mind:

Leica M 90/4 collapsible
Tokina 90/2.5
Zuiko 90/2
Zeiss 100/2
Voigtländer 125/2.5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think Tokina is best buy. all listed lenses are great, but pricey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently having a serious love affair with my Tamron 90 / 2.5 Macro, it really is a good lens on my NEX. And the Tamron has slightly edged my Minolta Rokkor 100 / 3.5 Macro into second place, but that's mainly because the Tamron is smaller and lighter, and a stop faster.
Both are such good lenses, so versatile on a crop camera. And the quality of the images is excellent, just be aware of the Tamron's blue spot and work around it. Just change position slightly and it generally goes away, it's a minor irritation on an otherwise superb lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Best dual purpose Macro - Short Tele around 100mm Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
I wonder which macro lens around 100mm is considered the best dual purpose lens, i.e. one that can be used for portraits and landscapes as well. I have a few candidates in mind:

Leica M 90/4 collapsible
Tokina 90/2.5
Zuiko 90/2
Zeiss 100/2
Voigtländer 125/2.5

We are so spoiled for choice! But you can add one more lens to the list - Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 100mm which is not as pricey as the M 90/4 or the Voigt 125/2.5 but it sure is no worse than these lenses! (The Voigtlander may give a smoother bokeh)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC macro 100/4

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=15443
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=11558

I've got the bellows 100/4 Tak and optically it's great, but this version would be a lot more convenient.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, a few good suggestions there. I had completely forgot about the Leica R and the Takumar never crossed my mind either.

Somehow the zuiko feels very right. It only does 1:2 macro bot that is rarely a problem. It manages to be almost as good at non macro as the zuiko 100/2 and that is a wonderful achievement for a macro lens.
+ fast
+ almost equally good at macro and non macro
+ relatively compact
- no built in lens hood
- expensive (but so are all of these)
- only 1:2 macro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss Contax 100mm f3.5 way sharper than most lens on above list, yes sharper than Olympus 90 and cheaper too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leica Macro Elmarit 100 F4 is not very nice for potraits imho. Minolta Macro-Rokkor 100mm F4 the same.
Color rendition etc. of these macros sucks for potrait-work

Leitz Leica Elmar-C 90/4 is nice for both, macro and potraits, when used with Leica-M macro/close focusing adapter.
It's also very compact.

Lens is costs about 200€ ´+ ~50€ for macro focusing adapter for your NEX

Here's a shot on NEX-5N, cropped slightly

+Sharp, contrasty
+Colors good for Potraits
+Very compact and light even with hood.
+Can be easily resold
+Good build and very nice haptics
+Cheap compared to other lenses in this class
-Only ~1:4-6 depending on adapter (most macro lenses suck below 1:2 anyway, because IQ is diminished)
-Only F4

Last edited by ForenSeil on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:37 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Carl Zeiss Contax 100mm f3.5 way sharper than most lens on above list, yes sharper than Olympus 90 and cheaper too.

I agree but it's not a dual purpose lens as it doesn't do macro without extension rings.

Last edited by Pontus on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was happy with Leica R 100mm f4 as portrait lens, in fact for portrait probably any lens is good at least to me, very nice butterfly shoot!
I did like much Leica skin tone rendering it was perfect no reddish , white skin is white.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which body are you talking about? If heavy lens is OK, it's one thing. If it's for mirrorless, then the best lenses IMHO are light macros such as Sigma 90/f2.8 or Cosina/Soligor/Phoenix 100mm/f3.5. Leica M 90/4 is not a macro. So I am confused. C-Elmar is indeed great, with a macro focusing adapter it would be my choice for a small camera.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Which body are you talking about? If heavy lens is OK, it's one thing. If it's for mirrorless, then the best lenses IMHO are light macros such as Sigma 90/f2.8 or Cosina/Soligor/Phoenix 100mm/f3.5. Leica M 90/4 is not a macro. So I am confused.

They can be used with macro-focusing adapter, something like this for example
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Leica-M-L-M-lens-to-Sony-E-Mount-Adapter-Macro-Focusing-Helicoid-NEX-5-7-5N-C3-3-/350557485307?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item519edab8fb
They don't become "real" macro lenses (they don't reach 1:1 or 1:2) but have imho sufficient close-focus abillities for general use, as shown in my example above.

BTW: ~1:1-1:2 is needed only very rarely in my experience - or how many decent 1:1 shots have you made during the last decades? I've made only one - and didn't even use a macro lens for that, because a repro lens worked better there.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
Attila wrote:

I agree but it's not a dual purpose lens as it doesn't do macro without extension rings.

You can buy on low price helicoid and problem solved easily.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Which body are you talking about? If heavy lens is OK, it's one thing. If it's for mirrorless, then the best lenses IMHO are light macros such as Sigma 90/f2.8 or Cosina/Soligor/Phoenix 100mm/f3.5. Leica M 90/4 is not a macro. So I am confused. C-Elmar is indeed great, with a macro focusing adapter it would be my choice for a small camera.

I'm mainly talking mirrorless so yes, size is important.

Leica calls it a Macro: http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/lenses/2191.html and it goes to 1:3 with the extender. With a helicoid adapter like the Hawk's you get closer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Pontus wrote:
Attila wrote:

You can buy on low price helicoid and problem solved easily.

You do have a good point there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

They can be used with macro-focusing adapter, something like this for example
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Leica-M-L-M-lens-to-Sony-E-Mount-Adapter-Macro-Focusing-Helicoid-NEX-5-7-5N-C3-3-/350557485307?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item519edab8fb
They don't become "real" macro lenses (they don't reach 1:1 or 1:2) but have imho sufficient close-focus abillities for general use, as shown in my example above.

BTW: ~1:1-1:2 is needed only very rarely in my experience - or how many decent 1:1 shots have you made during the last decades? I've made only one - and didn't even use a macro lens for that, because a repro lens worked better there.

Yeah, I've figured that this must be the idea and altered my previous message while you were typing yours Laughing However, these adapters do not do a whole lot for teles. For example, the one that you've linked to pushes max magnification on C-Elmar from 0.11 to 0.17. That's probably more useful for tight portrait shots than close-ups.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:

I'm mainly talking mirrorless so yes, size is important.

Well, in that case I'd automatically throw large macros such as Bokina or Macro Planars out of consideration. I have a big 1:1 Macro (Soligor(Komine) 90mm f2.5 1:1) and while it's superb in every optical aspect, it's just too big and heavy, so it's my least used lens in this focal length.

I'll just call your attention to this test of mine: http://forum.mflenses.com/real-life-test-of-5-90mm-lenses-t56155.html
Skipping to the conclusion (that I have not written yet) the miniscule differences in IQ that one sees between these lenses are far less important in practice than convenience (small size, features and haptics).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if size is a big consideration and money isn't, then the macro-elmar 90mm is the best.

Also people seem to be confusing the macro-elmar 100/4 and the besets and much improved macro-elmarit 100/2.8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielT74 wrote:
Well, if size is a big consideration and money isn't, then the macro-elmar 90mm is the best.

Also people seem to be confusing the macro-elmar 100/4 and the besets and much improved macro-elmarit 100/2.8

Very interesting and possibly true, but best in what way? it is the smallest of the bunch but other than that?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
DanielT74 wrote:

Also people seem to be confusing the macro-elmar 100/4 and the newer and much improved macro-elmarit 100/2.8

Very interesting and possibly true, but best in what way? it is the smallest of the bunch but other than that?

From what I've seen (but I haven't owned the lens) it is optically superb. Doesn't go to full macro (1:3 with extension I believe) though.

As I said, if you want small, then this is the lens. All others are a lot bigger.

I have had the Voigtlander, the Macro-Elmarit, the Tokina and the Kiron macros. All very competent lenses. My preference is probably the Leica (still have it - the others are gone). Some people prefer Voigtlander which goes to full macro without an extension. Vogtlander is a touch softer for portraits wide open. Leica is sometimes too sharp!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem using macro for portraits is focus throw -- for example, majority of Macro-Takumar focus throw is between 0.45m & 2 meters, leaving only a few degrees turn between 2m & infinity.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:

As I've recently bought one of fermy's Sigma 90/2.8 for exactly this purpose (some macro and short tele capabilities within a compact lens to be used on a Nex), I can confirm on compactness and lightweight of those. Macro is 1:2 what I considered as sufficient for the time being and optical quality looks quite OK to me from the couple of test shots I did - and fermy proposed a very good price Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the plug ylyad, I still have one Sigma and 3 100mm/f3.5 Soligors, which are all lenses of the same class. Any 3 of those can go, one will stay Wink