Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

When was the last time I told you I...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: When was the last time I told you I... Reply with quote

... love my manual lenses? Yesterday was a rare and unwelcome dreary and cold day, much like what the English experience all too frequently. I decided, partly because of circumstances and partly by choice, to do more wide open photography than I would normally choose. As I have said before, the NEX-5N seems an amazing camera in that the sensor (and internal processing) has given new life to some of my favorite lenses. Of course the results I'm enjoying are reflective of the lens' capabilities, but I had not been able to get these results from my A200 camera. I had to be very selective with the lighting to get useable images at full aperture, but I suppose it could have also been a focusing issue as well. The NEX has wonderful focusing aids, in particular the focus zoom feature, so I'm able to hit it perfectly in most cases.

So this is for those who deal with poor lighting on a more regular basis. All of these are either fully open or a partial stop down.

Planar 50/1.7 at f/1.7

Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 at f/2.5

Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 at f/2.5 or 2.8

Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5

Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 100mm f/3.5 at 3.5

Vivitar 135mm f/2.3 Series 1 at f/2.3

Vivitar 135mm f/2.3 Series 1 at f/2.3 or 2.8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lenses, fine shots.

(?sharpening?)

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely set, full of colour and interest, thank you for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful set.
I don't have these lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colours from your Vivitars remind me of my Tokina. Like!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:

+1

the bird is my fav - you see "your interaction with it " in the pictures

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Nice lenses, fine shots.

(?sharpening?)

Yes, but minimal. I have a standard processing routine in Photoshop of Auto-Contrast; then Auto-Tone and/or Auto-Color, depending on which I like best, but most often I like the original colors best after the auto-contrast; then last I use Smart Sharpen at 100% / 0.8 PX. The change in sharpness is minimal and without risk of leaving evidence. It's really hard to see the difference in sharpness, but I'm in the habit of doing it.

patrickh

Lena wrote:
The colours from your Vivitars remind me of my Tokina. Like!

Well, the 90mm shots are from a Tokina made lens.

56 DIN wrote:
tikkathree wrote:

+1

the bird is my fav - you see "your interaction with it " in the pictures

Thanks, the birds are pretty much used to having people walk by, so some of them will stay perched and allow close proximity. And I've been there so many times they may know me by now. It's my favorite place to go, not just for the photography, and I try to resist more bird pictures, but it's difficult with so many of them right there close and personal. As for interaction, how about these? (although not wide open):

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love also your pictures with the vivitar and the sonnar, the birds are also very well catch, lovely series with some great lenses!
the last one is also great with the two birds but has too busy bokey for my taste....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
I love also your pictures with the vivitar and the sonnar, the birds are also very well catch, lovely series with some great lenses!
the last one is also great with the two birds but has too busy bokey for my taste....

+1 great lens great photographer.... great images

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The birds are awesome. I never able to catch them as nice.
Also the purple color on the vivitar is very nice.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series