Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Simple Portrait - Moskva 5 with 6x6 mask - Acros/Xtol
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: A Simple Portrait - Moskva 5 with 6x6 mask - Acros/Xtol Reply with quote

This is from my last roll before I sell this camera.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, one of your best, why on earth would you sell this camera?

Really need to try this film/dev combo, superb result! And good
choice of subject matter. Smile

What ISO did you meter, and was this a 1:1 dev, time?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, definitely great. I have a Moskva-5 myself, but it has a rather terrible light leak and I can't figure out where it's coming from. I'd love to use it more, especially as a 6x9 folder without the mask.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STUNNING B&W portrait Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
STUNNING B&W portrait Shocked

+1 dont't let it to go.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tone, textures and a lovely subject with a great expression. What's not to like?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. It's not that I don't like the camera. I've actually put many hours into it to calibrate the lens and rangefinder, install extra light seals, and clean the shutter. I think the result is just as good as what I've seen from the much more expensive zeiss folder that this is a copy of. I'm just planning on consolidating my collection to a few versatile systems. I figure the result I can get from my Kiev 6c + Industar 29 2.8/80 (also a tessar format) would be similar enough. My enlarger also only does up to 6x7 so there's less incentive to shoot 6x9 format.

Quote:
What ISO did you meter, and was this a 1:1 dev, time?

Picture was done at f3.5, 1/250th. Acros/Xtol is my favorite combo. I typically don't deviate much from box speed, so it was done at 100iso. I develop 1:2 in xtol. This yields higher actuance and more grain than the lower dilutions. Because xtol is a fine grain developer to begin with it still maintains a very tight structure. 10:30mins at 72degrees.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning portrait, and thank you for all the technical info. You, sir, are a hero of mine. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is, quite simply, one of the best portraits that have ever been published on this forum.
The pose and gaze intensity call for repeated viewing in a magnetizing way.
The quality of the B&W tones is professional, and reminds me of the work of the best American portrait photographers.
Really a gallery work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
This is, quite simply, one of the best portraits that have ever been published on this forum.
The pose and gaze intensity call for repeated viewing in a magnetizing way.
The quality of the B&W tones is professional, and reminds me of the work of the best American portrait photographers.
Really a gallery work.

Fully agree, I'm impressed by the lighting, the clear background, how well the light drafts the model outline (that would suggest some backlighting), and at the same time some front light that completes the scene.
Did you fire a flash?

Congrats, a fantastic portrait.
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+10 on that... and I'll add: you have perfect DOF for the shot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I honestly did not except this positive a reception. Thank you everyone very much.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice image. I owned a Moskva 5 once, also a Voigtländer Bessa II. Not much of a rangefinder fan, especially for shooting people.

I too love Xtol. I shoot Acros in Xtol, rated 80 ISO, 1:1 68ºF 12 minutes.

Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
This is, quite simply, one of the best portraits that have ever been published on this forum

+1 beautiful b&w quality !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterpiece Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - that is a masterpiece!

could ever someone thought that Moskva is the camera
to do ..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moskva is the copy of Super Ikonta, it's not surprising that it's good, the Commies were good at copies Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Moskva is the copy of Super Ikonta, it's not surprising that it's good, the Commies were good at copies Very Happy

Commies did good copies yes, but did they make any copy better than original? Surprised

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captivating shot!! I love the eye contact and pose of the model. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm late to the party, but really, that is an absolutely outstanding B&W portrait. I think any photographer, however renowned, would be extremely proud of it, even if it hadn't come from a quirky old Moskva 5.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very fine works indeed, great tonality, focus point and eye contact!
But we all know that she's a good model and the two of you work
very well together;-)