Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer-Optik Orestor 2.8/135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Meyer-Optik Orestor 2.8/135 Reply with quote

Shots on superia 200asa film with a Canon T70 with M42 adapter, none wide open...I'm not sure whether it's the lens design but my copy achieves best results from minimum focus to about 40 yards.

Close focus, supermarket dev and scan:-

Portrait head and shoulders distance, supermarket dev and scan 1908X1272:-

about 20 to 40 yards distance, originally scanned by Epson V750 to 6656X4000, but reduced for posting to 2000X1202:-

Bokeh

Last edited by Excalibur on Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:16 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously good results! I like especially first one. Can you tell us, film, scanner ? Camera ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Seriously good results! I like especially first one. Can you tell us, film, scanner ? Camera ?

Of course for the small band of brothers who are still interested in film Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Taken at the same time, 800px reduced size shot:-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome ! Great work!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bicycle shot is amazing! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this lens the same as Prakticar 135/2.8 lens optically? I think Prakticar 135/2.8
was made by Meyer under WEB/PENTACON.

The colours are very nice to my eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Practicar is improved one, (better multi-coating) this lens is single coated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Meyer lens wide open @ f2.8, supermarket dev and scan, superia 200 asa Pentax S3:-

Last edited by Excalibur on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same lens, without flash:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll contribute a few of my better imiges from this wonderful lens...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyer-Optik Orestor 2.8/135 Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
I'm not sure whether it's the lens design but my copy achieves best results from minimum focus to about 40 yards.

I think there's chances that it happens by design. Although several people uses them for landscape, 135mm lenses have been
traditionally associated to portrait work, thus I think it's possible that Meyer did choose to optimize the lens for the portrait range.
The emphasis on the bokeh and the high number of blades (in the older models) are also signs that lead in this direction.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Meyer-Optik Orestor 2.8/135 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
I'm not sure whether it's the lens design but my copy achieves best results from minimum focus to about 40 yards.

I think there's chances that it happens by design. Although several people uses them for landscape, 135mm lenses have been
traditionally associated to portrait work, thus I think it's possible that Meyer did choose to optimize the lens for the portrait range.
The emphasis on the bokeh and the high number of blades (in the older models) are also signs that lead in this direction.

That would seem logical.
As comparing lenses on film is time consuming (esp trying to use different makes of lenses on the same roll of film to reduce errors) I rarely do comparison tests and rely on impressions over time.....but I did compare my 135mm lenses at 100 yards and the CZJ Sonnar 135mm f3.5 was sharper (equal top place with a Canon FD breechlock 135mm f3.5). Also on holiday the Sonnar was very good at a scene from about one third to two miles.
Now let me see? I'll need to carry two 135mm lenses..one for up to 40 yards and the other from 40 yards to infinity Laughing Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very old thread, but better to kick an old thread instead of starting a new one I guess.

I recently found out again why I like the Orestor so much. In post processing I only cropped and upped the saturation very slightly.
Dragonfly

This shot was taken with my Canon M50 up and about the MFD of 1.5m at f/8.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1