Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mushrooms with Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Mushrooms with Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm/1.4 Reply with quote

I love shooting mushrooms, simply because they're so weird and different. And there are a lot of them all around. All sizes, shapes and colours. But on the other hand making a good quality photo of a mushroom is difficult (for several reasons). I don't have it figured out yet, but I still like to try. These were made with a Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm/1.4 lens with various combinations of extension tubes. Maybe a 135mm with a closeup lens or a dedicated macro would be better, I don't know. And I need a better tripod. My little gorillapod isn't good enough for this...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#16 look like jellies, not mushrooms Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, and #18 looks like cotton candy. But I don't dare try it. Very Happy

Actually several are probably not mushrooms really, but some other class of fungi to be technically correct. Smile

Last edited by miran on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good series , miran ! What camera ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good hobby and results........I've never thought of shooting mushrooms but do like shooting pond/river weed in sunlight for colours and patterns.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What camera ?

Sony NEX-5. All are at ISO 200 on a tripod. In some I also used a cheap macro LED ring light. No heavy PP except a slight crop in two or three and two are focus stacked (albeit from only two frames).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series very naturally . I like mushrooms photo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice series, great details, colour and textures.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots Miran, I know how difficult this can be so well done.

It looks to me as though the equipment you're using is doing the job OK, including the gorillapod. A longer lens would allow you to be further away from the subject and give a greater depth of field, but I can see situations where this might not be helpful - when you want to photograph from a low angle for example. And lighting might not be so easy unless you use a remote flash.

I think it would help to keep practising with what you've got for the time being, and give some extra thought to the settings of the shots - camera angles, clearing away dead leaves and things like that.

I'm not sure about the white balance setting in some of the shots, some of them appear to have quite a strong yellow cast.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The gorillapod really isn't very good for this. I have the medium size version (supposedly intended for mirrorless cameras). It's ok for normal use, but a setup with the lens on a couple of extension tubes and with a macro ring light at the front gets very nose heavy. Maybe the largest gorillapod would be strong enough. The yellow colours are a problem this time of year in the woods. In high summer you get lots of nasty green casts but now all the yellow and brown leaves reflect a lot of warm colours. I set the white balance to around 5000K and this is what I got.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting subject and thanks for sharing. Never realise this little mushrooms can be so nice. Need to go and find some - it is not easy to see them in a city

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done Miran!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series! I wanna buy some mushroom to eat after reading this thread. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting and various mushrooms parade, my favourite photo is @15.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Smile

@calvin83: Don't do that if you're not sure you can handle them. As much as I like looking for them and photographing them I can't eat them. Just the other day I foolishly ate a few pieces of a common boletus mushroom, I thought I would be ok, it's supposed to be completely harmless. I was then ill for a whole week. Shocked