Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Portrait Contest
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good one, attack.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon D7000 + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AI

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50D, Planar 50/1.7@2.8

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, it was a quite 'wet' party..not only missed focus, also much underexposed, made visible again through PP
wonder how the red circle came to be, he was smoking a cigarette and might have been exhaling, Zuiko 1.4/40 on NEX5N

next day sober again Wink a woman selling lottery tickets in Saigon
8 element Super Takumar f1.4/50 on NEX5N

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/1.4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two good results, Andrea. Body is posed well in both photos. Lighting is good and also exposure.
Lovely shadow in the second photo!

Now the criticism (you know you can't escape it Laughing )
Head position could use improvement. In first photo, chin pressed against shoulder does create a grimace in the mouth.
In the second photo, head is too low and looks uncomfortably recessed. You should have used something under the head,
or ask her to keep head more behind and also above from ground.
Also in second photo, the foreground arm gets too much importance, a better composition would be to crop just under the shoulder.

But overall you did quite nice Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Jupiter 11A

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much Orio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burstmox, simply delightful closeup portrait, I love it.

Andrea, quite good, I like the choice of blurring the feet, very cleverly done, that's what I would have done also.
Two things I don't like, one of them you can fix:

- I don't like the slant, and this is not fixable because you don't have enough room around the figure to rotate the image.

- the legs have perfect exposure, but the upper part of body and the head are too dark. This causes the attention to focus on the legs and feet which is not ideal
You can fix by selectively dodging the upper body and head until you bring them in the same zone as the legs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Orio Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help but want to post in here after looking over everyone's subsequent special others Razz I feel I need to add this context to this oneline persona just to be fair. Razz

Clicky

This was more an experiment in flash. I used an Industar 50 on my Pentax K10 with a said flash pointing to the left across the image. I was trying to set it as to bounce of the wall some 4, 5m approx from her face, to light up said face. She was busy in her morning ritual of reading everything on facebook (laptop is just off scene down from eyes haha) to care so much that I was bouncing light across her head Laughing

I believe f was set to somewhere between 3.5 and 4..

VIVE la Industar 50 Razz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, that guy has the worst haircut and beard I've seen in a long while Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Amish, right?!?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he is Amish. Henry Yoder is his name. He, and his family were waiting for a bus in Nashville. They don't drive modern autos, only horse and carriage. Their homes do not use electricity. But there is a great deal of variance among the different groups of Amish, as far as, clothing, etc. Generally, they do not wish to have their photos taken. It is considered rude to do so. But I introduced myself and showed him the shots, and explained that I wanted to share them. He was fine with these two, but there were shots of his little girl and wife which he asked not to post. You'll have to take my word that the little girl was precious.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous shot, Ian!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspen wrote:
Yes, he is Amish. Henry Yoder is his name. He, and his family were waiting for a bus in Nashville. They don't drive modern autos, only horse and carriage. Their homes do not use electricity. But there is a great deal of variance among the different groups of Amish, as far as, clothing, etc. Generally, they do not wish to have their photos taken. It is considered rude to do so. But I introduced myself and showed him the shots, and explained that I wanted to share them. He was fine with these two, but there were shots of his little girl and wife which he asked not to post. You'll have to take my word that the little girl was precious.

Fascinating people, I once saw a documentary about how they live Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lovely wife Jolanta.
I think this photo captures her personality.
She doesnt like the sharpness of this photo, its very honest, no makeup or anything. I snapped this as we were going to the local shop.
I used Nikon D3200 with a super Paragon 28mm f2.8. The exposure was guessed and there is no post processing at all apart from resizing it for this fantastic forum.

The lens was bought for £7.50 in OM mount, but I have converted it to fit my Nikons and was giving it a trial run.

The focus is just off the eyes I know, I find it difficult to manual focus with the clear screen on my digital camera. Anyone know of a source of microprism/split screen for the d40/d3100/d3200? I mean for cheap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
My lovely wife Jolanta.

Nice, relaxed portrait; sympathetic!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
philslizzy wrote:
My lovely wife Jolanta.

Nice, relaxed portrait; sympathetic!

Thanks Minolfan, it was relaxed, she was hardly aware I was taking it, despite being about 2 feet from her. The ducks on the pond were having an argument with a bullying seagull, this is what she is smiling at.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo of my friend's son. Nikon d40 18-55 lens bounced flash

here is a lady in period costume at Sherdley park fair St Helens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: first post...first upload... Reply with quote

Hi...first post...some really beautiful stuff on this site guys...so glad I've found it.

I have faffed about trying to get an image up...not sure if this is right...hopefully it needs to be cleared by a moderator and then it will work.

Anyhoo...taken on a nex5 with a rokkor pf58mm f1.4 wide open...not a well accepted lens by many, but I love the warmth and glassy look to it...

Bit soft...but then so is the rest of my life..!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: first post...first upload... Reply with quote

tobymcmillan wrote:
Hi...first post...some really beautiful stuff on this site guys...so glad I've found it.

I have faffed about trying to get an image up...not sure if this is right...hopefully it needs to be cleared by a moderator and then it will work.

Anyhoo...taken on a nex5 with a rokkor pf58mm f1.4 wide open...not a well accepted lens by many, but I love the warmth and glassy look to it...

Bit soft...but then so is the rest of my life..!

"I have faffed about trying to get an image up...not sure if this is right...hopefully it needs to be cleared by a moderator and then it will work."

Hi Toby, welcome to the forum. Pictures and links don't show on your first post, this is an anti-spam measure we had to take. You should be OK to post pictures from now on.

Very nice shot, a touch of softness is great for portraits. I love my 1.4/58 Rokkor, but I love my MD 1.4/50 even better! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks...here's another from the same day...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 105mm f2.5 on a Nikon D600. ISO 100, f2.5, 1/800th.

Last edited by gaeger on Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total