Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Bugle of the Bull Elk -- Takumar 300mm F4 Preset
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: The Bugle of the Bull Elk -- Takumar 300mm F4 Preset Reply with quote

I went hiking in the mountains today to try out my new Nex 5n. I also tried out a new (to me) lens I just received, a Takumar 300mm F4 Preset (18 aperture blades).

It is getting into the rut season for elk here in northern Colorado. When you go into the mountains this time of year, you can hear elk bugles echoing through the mountains. It is an awesome sound to hear, especially when you are hiking all alone up in the high country.

Right from the start of the hike today, the elk bugles were numerous. There were many bull elk in the area and they are starting to compete to build their harems. An hour or so into the hike, I heard a loud bugle close by, just up the ridge. I started to climb. Now this time of year you have to be careful getting close to the big bulls, they are pretty touchy and it doesn't take much to set them off.

As I got up to the ridge line, another bugle sounded. It was VERY close. So, I squatted down and started looking through the trees to see if I could spot the bull. It didn't take long to spot him as he slowly moved through the trees (you could hear his antlers hitting against the trees and branches).

I took my time and slowly worked my way towards him. I was none to eager to startle that bull.

15-Sept-2012-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

He had a small harem gathered at the top of the ridge. There were a half dozen cows and a couple of yearlings.

15-Sept-2012-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

15-Sept-2012-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

15-Sept-2012-4 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

I sat close the the small herd for about an hour. The bull would bugle every few minutes, answering other bugles from other bulls in the area. On a few occasions, other bulls would get too close and he would run down the side of the mountain to chase them off.

During one the bulls absences, a cow grazed up to within 20 feet of me.

15-Sept-2012-5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

15-Sept-2012-6 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

I started to get uncomfortable as more bulls were moving into the area. The bull I've been photographing was starting to get more agitated and huffing/bugling a lot, so I took a couple more photos, then eased away from the herd.

15-Sept-2012-7 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

15-Sept-2012-8 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

It was a great hike and a memorable experience.

I kind of wish I had my K20D with me since this was my first day out with the Nex 5n and I wasn't real comfortable with it, especially with a 300mm lens. The Nex 5n didn't let me down though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it did you proud. Very fine series

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so beautiful captures, and the pentax did a great job too !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful series, hearing the story behind it just makes it that much better aswell, I can just feel the clear breeze and excitement when I look at them.

And good call on moving away. If they are anything like the Moose we have here, they turn bat-crap crazy during mating season, very dangerous. A nature photographer knows when to bail out, before you get eaten by a bear. They do look very fluffy tho Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Elk Reply with quote

Great stuff here. Did they not react at all to the shutter sound? In the stillness of the woods, I would think the slightest sound or movement would really carry...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great series and commentary! Your focusing looks great and their expressions say it all! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone!

You do have to be quiet and move very slowly if you want to get this close to wildlife, especially with elk during the rut. You don't want to move very fast, taking as much time as needed to slowly move toward the herd. It can take upwards of a couple of hours to get close enough some times.

Many times after spending an hour or so with a herd, they get somewhat used to you and individuals will actually approach you, this is mostly true for mule deer though as elk are a little more standoffish.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado CJ wrote:
Thank you everyone!

You do have to be quiet and move very slowly if you want to get this close to wildlife, especially with elk during the rut. You don't want to move very fast, taking as much time as needed to slowly move toward the herd. It can take upwards of a couple of hours to get close enough some times.

Many times after spending an hour or so with a herd, they get somewhat used to you and individuals will actually approach you, this is mostly true for mule deer though as elk are a little more standoffish.

Completely and unequivically the same experience up here on the Olympic peninsula, Colorado. My grandfather and I usually
had a fun time of just slowly mixing into the herds of Roosevelt Elk. And yeah, with a couple of hours of just mingling, the herd
was pretty accepting of our presence. The first time my grandfather showed me this I was about 12 years old - the elk were like
MONSTERS to me! Yet, after a while it seemed that their size was no longer intimidating because they were so gentle as long as
there were no sudden moves. A good bunch of memories.