Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hiking Fourth of July Trail (RMC Tokina 17mm F3.5 lens)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Hiking Fourth of July Trail (RMC Tokina 17mm F3.5 lens) Reply with quote

I went hiking today up at Fourth of July Trailhead. This trail system is located in the Indian Peaks Wilderness just west of Nederland, CO. To get to the trailhead you have to drive 5 miles up a pretty rough dirt road, although not quite a four wheel drive road, it is none too smooth.

This is a pretty high set of trails which takes you up above timberline, so if you try it, be sure to bring plenty of water and get acclimated first.

All shots taken with my Pentax K20D and RMC Tokina 17mm F3.5 lens.

This is pretty typical of most of the trail. Pretty steep with exposed slopes.

Fourth-of-July-Trail-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Up towards timberline, there is an old mine site. Plenty of holes and some equipment are still left up there. The trail system gets its name from this mine, the Fourth of July Mine.

Fourth-of-July-Trail-4 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-6 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

I took a snack break while hiking up the Arapaho Pass Trail. This trail takes you over the continental divide and the scenery is breathtaking.

Fourth-of-July-Trail-7 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-8 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-9 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-10 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-11 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-12 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-13 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Fourth-of-July-Trail-14 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Well that's it. I got a late start today, so the sun really wasn't in the right place for most of the photos (shooting into the sun), but after around 10 miles of high country hiking, I'm pooped.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spectacular scenery, and your series makes it justice!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing landscape, really is breathtaking. And the lens is nice too. This is one of the lenses I've been looking to add to my photo bag but could never find for a good price.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Amazing landscape, really is breathtaking. And the lens is nice too. This is one of the lenses I've been looking to add to my photo bag but could never find for a good price.

Ditto. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an incredible series! The lighting is brilliant for the mining gear shots too Smile Many thanks for sharing!

P.s. Did you use a polariser?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent series, you sure have an eye for beauty and a hand for grad filters.. Just splendid work

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Spectacular scenery, and your series makes it justice!

Thank you, glad you liked it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:

Thanks, Colorado is an awesome place to go exploring in. The lens is definitely a keeper, I'm very happy with it's performance after having used it the past couple weeks.