Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sand Highlights - Zodiak 30 and Provia
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Sand Highlights - Zodiak 30 and Provia Reply with quote

I have the Zodiak 30/3.5, the Mir 26B, and a spare CZJ Sonnar 180/2.8 (single coated).

These are the only lenses in my possession, as the whole lot was stolen - but that's over and done with,
and I just want to take pictures.

This was just before sunset, cropped, with the Zodiak.

This is straight from the camera/scanner:

This is after applying small amount of USM and Color Curves to try to match what I saw with my eyes.
As usual, you will need to click to the larger image in order to see effects of USM and Curves. Confused

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, awe inspiring!
tony

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
wow, awe inspiring!
tony

+1 stunning!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just goes to show you do not need alot of lenses to take excellent images, you just need skill and a good eye to look thru the ones you have.
That said, It's still incredibly sad you had your collection stolen.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Tony and Attila! Very Happy It felt really good to start to get back into photography again.

And Attila, I don't know if I thanked you for spotting a Zeiss 50/4 for me. So...THANK YOU! Still saving some money for
my photographic fund.

Here is another. Only a few minutes later, but the light changes drastically as the sun goes down.

I actually had to REDUCE the saturation a bit, in order to bring the image close to what I remembered. Shocked

There were many small Sculpins in this tide pool.

So anyway, Master Saturation reduced -6, went with Auto Sharpen this time, and cropped to wipe out footprints of course.
Perhaps could have done a little more sharpening - it's a fine line between looking normal or looking oversharp.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning too!! Certainly you did say thank you, you are most gentleman what I know Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nisseliten wrote:
Just goes to show you do not need alot of lenses to take excellent images, you just need skill and a good eye to look thru the ones you have.
That said, It's still incredibly sad you had your collection stolen.

Yes, it IS sad, Nisseliten. Thank you for showing compassion. Smile However, it doesn't sting quite as much now that some
time has passed. It hurt of course, to have the lenses stolen, but it was really upsetting to have all the filters and adapters
and other accessories stolen. A hard lesson, but a good lesson for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, all great, tonality is magic !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
wow, all great, tonality is magic !

Thanks poilu! Now, if I could just get you to post some more sunny images from the Mediterranean, I would be very happy. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

I love your surprising compositions, excellent colouring and ligthning.
Nice to see you are in focus again Wink

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, you have a lot of talent, seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes and Tony, you are very kind. Thank you. I'm just starting to feel comfortable with the Zodiak.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This image was a good test of corner sharpness of the Zodiak. Of course, it's naturally soft in the
corners, but not as pronounced as I expected.

The sand is picking up the light from the sun, which was just touching the horizon, so this was
definitely the last direct light. The sand is full of crystalline quartz as well as mica, so it reflects
the sun's colors very well.

I was shocked Shocked to see 2 photographers pack it up and hit the trail back to the cars about
15 minutes prior to this. Shocked I politely said to one of the guys, "You ought to stay, because
even though it doesn't look like it now, sometimes the last light can be pretty nice." He just shrugged
and said something like: "It's a waste of time waiting for something to happen when anybody can see
that it's just going to be a gray sunset." Shocked I don't know much, but even if the sunset was not so good,
why the hurry to leave a beautiful place like this in favor of a parking lot?

The only post-processing was Auto Sharpening in PS Elements 8, and cropping, so this gives an
idea of the extremely warm light at this time of the day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first shot is perfect and needs no post processing of any type. Very nice work and composition.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order of posting:

Wow!
WOW!
WOW!
WOW!

I have tried many times to take stunning low sun beach shots, and although the results were pleasing, my spotting "the right bits and shapes" left something to be desired. These all look just about perfect: The details seem just right with the frame. Well done!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
This image was a good test of corner sharpness of the Zodiak. Of course, it's naturally soft in the
corners, but not as pronounced as I expected.

The sand is picking up the light from the sun, which was just touching the horizon, so this was
definitely the last direct light. The sand is full of crystalline quartz as well as mica, so it reflects
the sun's colors very well.

I was shocked Shocked to see 2 photographers pack it up and hit the trail back to the cars about
15 minutes prior to this. Shocked I politely said to one of the guys, "You ought to stay, because
even though it doesn't look like it now, sometimes the last light can be pretty nice." He just shrugged
and said something like: "It's a waste of time waiting for something to happen when anybody can see
that it's just going to be a gray sunset." Shocked I don't know much, but even if the sunset was not so good,
why the hurry to leave a beautiful place like this in favor of a parking lot?

We are given a chance at glorious light twice a day. Seems like a shame to miss it when one is already there anyway Sad
I'm glad you hung in there ! Very nice indeed !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are really fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for your loss. But happy you can still share with us gorgeous images !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said, these are absolutely stunning! And I can't believe a phtoographer would walk away before the last bit of magical light hits the earth! Blasphemy!