Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

which "black paint" to use on lens element?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: which "black paint" to use on lens element? Reply with quote

Got the 20mm f3.5 Pen-F Zuiko 'relatively' cheap because it had bubbles covering an internal lens element.
Fortunately it was easy to open and the bubbles could simply be wiped away. The bubbles were in the middle part of a lens element which has a grease like black paint around it's outer rim. I had the impression that this paint had a function and that part of it had kind of 'evaporated' causing the bubbles. I did not to wipe away all of it when cleaning off the 'bubbles'

The lens is very sensitive to strong light and photos often look as if there was a veil, e.g. jpeg out of cam

( the same after PPing and my better samples: http://forum.mflenses.com/g-zuiko-auto-w-20mm-f3-5-pen-f-halfframe-lens-t51076.html
others: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157628125919493/ )

Now, could this be caused by the 'lack' of the black paint which is, was there e.g. to protect against internal reflections?
..or is it grease from the focus ring that causes trouble and must be cleaned off..
In case it has a function, what is it, and what's the paint / substance and can it be repaired?

thank you very much for any input,
best regards,
Andreas

Last edited by kuuan on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:23 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: questions -- Yes! Probably no. And:

Edges of lens elements are often painted black to eliminate reflections from those edges which can cause loss of contrast, or 'veil'. Painting the edges of lens elements can improve performance in those lenses without it. Same reason inside of lens is often painted black, even flocked, with non-reflective material.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
RE: questions -- Yes! Probably no. And:

Edges of lens elements are often painted black to eliminate reflections from those edges which can cause loss of contrast, or 'veil'. Painting the edges of lens elements can improve performance in those lenses without it. Same reason inside of lens is often painted black, even flocked, with non-reflective material.

right, so paint it is, thank you very much for that
hm..what kind of paint on the glass, how best to repair it? Smile

thank you,
andreas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the technical explanation: http://www.edmundoptics.com/learning-and-support/technical/learning-center/application-notes/optics/edge-blackening/

Some people use magic marker with some success, but I think India Ink would be better, some type of opaque glass paint best -- just guessing here; the primary requirements imho are to adhere to glass, to be opaque, and to be non-reflective -- flat black rather than high gloss. Wink Some paints will absorb more light. I didn't look, but Edmund might have a product, or micro-tools www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=15102-F

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kuuan,

Like visualopsins said, that effect on the lens surely is because of the lack of that paint, when i started cleaning my first lenses the black cover on the outer of the glass elements was dissolved and I ended up with photos like this.

Again like visualopsins said painting the edge of the glass will solve the problem, I use a permanent black marker and it has done the job every time with no problem (just be careful to paint only the edge!!!).

Good luck,

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very visualopsins and inombrable for all your very helpful information!

paint should adhere to glass, be opaque and non reflective..sounds good
I just tried a cheap black "marker" as sold in stationary shops but unfortunately it did not fulfill the first requirement, rather than blackening the glass it took off some of the priory remaining paint ;(

it's a very big area the paint should cover, fortunately it is very much defined Smile

I will have to open the lens once again to try another paint. As mentioned dis/assembly of this lens, at least as much is needed for this job, is very easy and straightforward. If anyone is interested I shall take and post more photos of that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: disassembly of Pen-F Zuiko f3.5 20mm Reply with quote

a second attempt with another, more expensive marker was much more successful, if not ideal but satisfactory.
I am very curious to see the difference of performance! ( just now there is tropical rain outside, hopefully later today )
and also still curious which paint would be best ( and just changed to title of the original post accordingly ) I would think acrylic paint resp. special air dry glass paint: http://www.ehow.com/video_4428575_painting-glass-choosing-glass-paints.html

#1 the name ring of a Pen-F lens has two holes, is very easy to take off. Total 4 rings come loose, be careful not to loose the ball doing the clicking aperture, for that one also could lift them up together as if they were one piece ( though every time again I am tempted to leave off the ball on purpose ) If taken off individually grooves determine their position for reassembly

#2 without these rings

#3 the front group screwed out

#4 turned around
s

#5 the front group screwed apart revealing the lens with the paint loss ( before repainting )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: disassembly of Pen-F Zuiko f3.5 20mm Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
a second attempt with another, more expensive marker was much more successful, if not ideal but satisfactory.
I am very curious to see the difference of performance!....

took a few pics today.
in a typical rather critical situation, edited and reduced in size:

to see the unedited full size:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/7542292346/in/photostream/lightbox/

in less critical situation, edited, reduced and sharpened:

too see edited full size: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/7542251954/in/photostream/lightbox/

I would be very curious how experienced people would judge it's IQ
regards,
andreas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contrast looks very much better to me Andreas. Not sure about the marker pen idea though, whenever I've tried using one to touch up paint chips it hasn't been as permanent as I'd like. You might get condensation inside the lens at some time. I'd go along with the Indian ink suggestion - Pelikan Scribtol is the most opaque and best quality I know, and once it's dried it's permanent. Most of the other inks for drawing pens these days are very thin and still water-soluble after drying.
http://www.pelikan-shop.co.uk/shop/Pulsar/en_GB_SHOP.ShopTwo.displayShop.89486./518--30-ml-17-black

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to Peter's suggestion of India Ink. It's good to have around. It works very well for filling in deeper lens scratches as well. I know it sounds weird, but it really works. Use a toothpick or similar to fill the scratch with the ink and then wipe off any excess. It will negate any contrast lowering flare which the scratch might have caused and have no discernable negative effect on IQ.

P.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, Indian ink is just 'plain ink' as used in fountain pens and thus easily available, right?
and ink used for Chinese calligraphy should be just as fine too, right? because that I should be able to find very easily here in Saigon.

thank you very much Peter and pdccamera for you suggestions and hints, great to know that it even can be used to fill scratches, great to know!

note on the lens performance:
yes Peter I also believe that the performance has improved.
All my 3 Pen-F wide angels have problems with light coming in from the front, with light often strongly 'bleeding' into objects in front of it. I hope these words describe what I want to say. I don't know and would love to know the technical term for that.

I think that this is even true for my undamaged Pen-F wide angle lens and that this limits their use somewhat. I like them still, they give me the impression of 'brilliance in detail', to describe it somehow. That together with that 'light bleeding', in this case even the 'haze' of the still unrepaired 20mm, 'can' benefit certain images:

thank's again and best regards,
andreas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
ah, Indian ink is just 'plain ink' as used in fountain pens and thus easily available, right?
and ink used for Chinese calligraphy should be just as fine too, right? because that I should be able to find very easily here in Saigon.

This is the kind I have used in the past - it works well - because it is very opaque and dries water resistant. Stay away from the water soluable inks, they won't last.

http://www.amazon.com/Higgins-Waterproof-Black-India-Ink/dp/B001E6CUPC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342009064&sr=8-3&keywords=india+ink

Your staircase shot is very nice, but I still think the contrast is low. Also, are you using a lens shade? That can help boost contrast on vintage lenses. Is the B&W staircase image a JPEG right out of the camera? If so, what you do you the contrast set at?

Best of luck!

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much once again Paul!
so first I shall try local / Chinese ink as sold for calligraphy

thank's for the hint using a lens shade. I am much aware of it being much recommended for the reasons you state. Because of the bulk they add and even more so because imo a lens shade makes a camera, on the street, look more 'important', 'serious' even 'threatening' I rather strongly dislike them and plea guilty of hardly ever using one. I bought a lens shade specially for my Pen-F lenses, the cheapest, plastic foldable kind whose shape can be changed to fit wide to tele lens and which is the type I like best. Sometimes I use it but not that day. Some metal one's I had bought because they are so cool Wink never make it to the street. I often use my hand to shade but if I remember right I did not for this shot.

and the staircase is not jepg out of the camera but already had been edited incl. boosting contrast.
jpeg out of the camera looks like this:

another go at editing

best greetings, and regards,
andreas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
and ink used for Chinese calligraphy should be just as fine too, right? because that I should be able to find very easily
here in Saigon.

Andreas, I don't know anything about Chinese calligraphy ink, it may be the same stuff I mean but I'm not sure. My
experience is with using black ink for architectural drawings (using a 'Graphos' pen), and hand-drawn lettering using dipping
pens, (before computers and CAD were invented Smile).

Indian ink can't be used in ordinary fountain pens, unless you use it like a quill pen and just dip the knib in the ink. It's
much thicker and dries faster than say Parker or any other ordinary fountain pen ink, and the pen would soon clog up if you
tried filling it. Indian ink dries very hard and waterproof and to remove it you would need to chip or scrape it off in flakes. I
think you'd recognise it for it's thickness as soon as you use it.

There are many other types of thinner drawing ink intended for "technical pens" (which have ink reservoirs like fountain pens),
for example made by Rotring or Mars-Staedtler - these are water-soluble and thinned down so they don't clog the pen up.
Make sure you steer clear of these, they will dissolve as soon as you get any condensation in the lens.

Last edited by peterqd on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite some helpful ideas I got from this discussion, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up with dipping pens, and still have a complete set of caligraphy dipping pens with some very old black ink. The ink I have might be permanent, but not completely non-reflective. Never tried on glass, never tried to see if ink is permanent. I think they are. Many of my pens have a black coating that is not washable, but the ink might react on metal surface only.

What I know about quality of the chinese ink (in saigon) might be vary alot. The good quality ink in wet bottle won't develop bad smell after a week or two, while bad quality ink will have some kind of bacteria and smell badly after a while. In case you paint the glass element or inner metal parts with the bad type, you may introduce rare fungus at the later time.

I haven't use any ink that is non water based. Quality ink I had looks like small crystal/stone alike, not the man-made shape tiny sylinders. Crystal type dissolved completely and can be very thick, while the other type leaves some rest compound that make fine dipping pen useless.

Ink can be found in black, semi glossy or more like matt but not 100% non-reflective. My other fav color is dark fiolet with some magenta.

I use destilled water, air tight small container.

And my ink supply is very short for the moment...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Andreas, I don't know anything about Chinese calligraphy ink.....Indian ink can't be used in ordinary fountain pens, unless you use it like a quill pen and just dip the knib in the ink. It's much thicker and dries faster than say Parker or any other ordinary fountain pen ink...
There are many other types of thinner drawing ink intended for "technical pens" (which have ink reservoirs like fountain pens),
for example made by Rotring or Mars-Staedtler - these are water-soluble and thinned down so they don't clog the pen up.
Make sure you steer clear of these, they will dissolve as soon as you get any condensation in the lens.

hoanpham wrote:
...What I know about quality of the chinese ink (in saigon) might be vary alot. The good quality ink in wet bottle won't develop bad smell after a week or two, while bad quality ink will have some kind of bacteria and smell badly after a while. In case you paint the glass element or inner metal parts with the bad type, you may introduce rare fungus at the later time.

thank you Peter and Hoan, very much appreciated!
As it might not be easy to get the right ink I won't look out for it in Saigon any more. The repair with the marker is quite alright, I will leave Vietnam in a few days and shall better look for the right ink later elsewhere.

best regards,
andreas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Quite some helpful ideas I got from this discussion, thanks for sharing!

happy to know that Klaus!
maybe of interest then, I had raised this question in another forum and got good answers there too:
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/messages/2/24924.html?1342110242

best regards,
andreas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion going on here.

I doubt that Chinese Ink is permanent. As far as I remember, it can easily be washed with water. Therefore, I don't think it is the best choice for coloring the edge of your lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank's

the suggestions from the other forum in order of occurrence:
    Ultra Flat Black Crylon acrylic
    model railroad flat black paint
    Kodak Brushing Lacquer No. 4, Dull Black ( + I would think a solvent based paint would work better than an acrylic in this application )
    Scalecoat 1 flat black ( from well stocked hobby shop )
    Stove paint ( It is used for painting wood stoves flat black. It is very flat and very durable )

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Basic India ink is composed of a variety of fine soot known as lampblack, combined with water to form a liquid. A binding agent such as gelatin or, more commonly, shellac may also be added, to make the ink more durable once dried. India ink is occasionally sold not as a liquid, but in solid form (most commonly, a stick), which must be moistened before use.

from Wikipedia: India Ink

A waterproof India Ink would use some type of waterproof binding material thinned with a solvent dryer. The waterproof binder should be flat not gloss. There is no reason why a quality waterproof flat-balck India Ink cannot be found in a Chinese calligraphy shop, even one in Saigon -- ask for the waterproof kind. If I were closer, there is an excellent Chinese Calligraphy shop in San Francisco Chinatown. The kind gentleman there is very knowledgeable and helpful to new students in selecting brushes, ink, and paper. They also have supplies for the professional. I suspect all such specialized shops have like personnel.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for very much visualopsins for the clarification of what exactly Indian Ink was and the importance of the waterproof binder.

( I am sure you are right, the correct ink should be available in Saigon, I am also sure that a branded 'model' flat black paint could be found too. It's just that this is my last few days in town and most likely I won't take the time to look for it anymore )