Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ain't it good to know that you've got a friend
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Ain't it good to know that you've got a friend Reply with quote

...when people can be so cold? Very Happy

( Planar 1.4/85 Contax AEG, Canon EOS 60D @ ISO 6400 )

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expression is worth a thousand words !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cute. Sell a copy to their grandparents - they will pay whatever you ask! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great capture. You live in a very interesting part of the world. Seems people are always dressed up for an event of some kind.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful candid capture! Orio, what event was this?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely image, you were again at the right place and the right time to captured this peaceful moment......

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all guys!

@ Erkie: isn't it? Very Happy And I have more of these two girls, they were a continuous show of expressions. So candid! It makes me feel good to see people so happy. I look at this photo and it cheers me up Very Happy

@ Pach: this was the Palio delle Contrade in San Secondo Parmense. I go there every year. It is a joyful event. Smile The edition of this year was dedicated to the young people, so there was a lot more children than usual, and like always, children are the best subjects for a photographer, because they are spontaneously showing their emotions and they are not camera-shy.

@David: Yes, in spite of our recent disgraces, I think I am still lucky to live here, because differently from other regions, we still have not lost the ability to enjoy life together socially. To be welcoming and relaxed is part of our being Emilians, we accept the stranger as if it was a long time friend. In these three days of Palio I have been offered food and wine continuously, from everyone. And never a single time had I problems photographing, on the contrary, people asked me to photograph them! Laughing

@ Patrick: You're right! Smile In fact, I took so many pictures, that I even thought about selling them, since I still have no job I could really use some money. But I don't know how to contact the people, and also, I do not feel very good in selling the photos when all people there has been so kind with me all the time. I think I'd rather ask them for a free donation instead. Or, make a very low price.

@ Pich: Yes, right place and right time... that's really what most photography is about, isn't it? Smile Luck plays a big part in our work, I always repeat it.

One note about the colours: they are not post-processed. This is what photos taken under sodium lamps look when you white-balance them. They look like old aged Agfachromes. In this case, differently from the Soap Bubble photo, I opted for a colour final, because B&W did not give me enough separation from the background.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful and so emotional Orio! Very well done!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much Klaus!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual print did not turn out with good colours, so I made a B&W version for the contest:

The image quality is so-and-so, but I prefer to entry a photo that for me is better in content, than a photo that is better for image quality.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

+1 excellent really!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice again Orio. You seem to deliver content that tells a interesting story every time, I should become better in hunting events my self instead of just shoot bush, family and flowers Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
kds315* wrote:

+1 excellent really!

Thanks Klaus and Attila Smile

Nordentro wrote:
Very nice again Orio. You seem to deliver content that tells a interesting story every time, I should become better in hunting events my self instead of just shoot bush, family and flowers Laughing

Thank you Nordentro. Smile When I was younger, I tried to make photos that looked grand and spectacular. Showy. Technically accomplished.
Now that I'm getting older, and that I have (more or less) learned the technique, I feel the need to take photos that move my heart,
with a laugh, a smile, a compassion, a sadness, whatever happens in front of me.
And I found that I don't need to travel far or go to special places for that, like going to wars, or to exotic places.
I can find everything in this "little world" of mine, that I live in. Where people is still real, and still like to meet and enjoy living together in harmony.
I don't know how long this will last. The challenges of the future are tough, the society is changing fast. But I sure want to document it while it's still here.
Jacques Prévert once said of Edouard Boubat, that he was a "peace correspondent".
That definition hit me deeply and stayed with me since then, like an illumination: it is exactly what I feel the need to be, as a photographer!
Now I know that when I'll not be here anymore, I can leave a legacy of some photographs that in the future might even become little gems for someone else
interested in getting a glimpse back on how everyday people lived in our present times.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely. Good luck in the contest. Must say I prefer the colour version though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the pixel-peeping image quality! That is a marvellous shot!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this photograph has lot's of impact; in B&W even more.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that, with the color image I tend to look at the color against each other first, and then finally lock onto the
faces of the girls.

With the black and white image, my eye immediately goes to the faces.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for your comments my friends.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A moment in time can pass as quickly as a blink of the eye, but when captured in a photograph, it becomes special in another way. Excellent capture. The black and white version has a greater impact, but I couldn't help thinking that the original color lacked vibrance that might be corrected in post processing. I hope you don't mind, Orio, but I did take liberties in giving it a go in PS.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Attila wrote:
kds315* wrote:

+1 excellent really!

Thanks Klaus and Attila Smile

Nordentro wrote:

Thank you Nordentro. Smile When I was younger, I tried to make photos that looked grand and spectacular. Showy. Technically accomplished.
Now that I'm getting older, and that I have (more or less) learned the technique, I feel the need to take photos that move my heart,
with a laugh, a smile, a compassion, a sadness, whatever happens in front of me.
And I found that I don't need to travel far or go to special places for that, like going to wars, or to exotic places.
I can find everything in this "little world" of mine, that I live in. Where people is still real, and still like to meet and enjoy living together in harmony.
I don't know how long this will last. The challenges of the future are tough, the society is changing fast. But I sure want to document it while it's still here.
Jacques Prévert once said of Edouard Boubat, that he was a "peace correspondent".
That definition hit me deeply and stayed with me since then, like an illumination: it is exactly what I feel the need to be, as a photographer!
Now I know that when I'll not be here anymore, I can leave a legacy of some photographs that in the future might even become little gems for someone else
interested in getting a glimpse back on how everyday people lived in our present times.

Very wisely said Orio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Woodrim for the kind words.
I'm not keen on oversaturation. Here it also creates artifacts on the columns.