Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hexanon 1.8/52mm+ macro rings on D700 [+pict 20/06]
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Hexanon 1.8/52mm+ macro rings on D700 [+pict 20/06] Reply with quote

The only way to use this lens on my Nikon is with macro rings so again some macro shots Very Happy ...
All are cropped (about 50%), post-processed with PS4 and very light sharpening after resize...
1/

2/

3/

4/

Probably the cheapest lens from Hexanon, I must say I'm pretty pleased with the results, this lens is extremly sharp but I did not try the lens wide open so may be it's an other story!....
Enjoy Smile

Last edited by pich900 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting and beautiful images. Coincidentally, I have been using the Hexanon AR 50mm f1.8 lens with extension rings on my NEX.
I could swear that the 50 f1.8 works better on extension rings than without them. I wonder if you feel the same way about your 52mm?
I love the bokeh in your images!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
Very interesting and beautiful images. Coincidentally, I have been using the same lens with extension rings on my NEX.
I could swear that the 50 f1.8 works better on extension rings than without them. What do you think? I love the bokeh as well.
An underrated lens.

It's the first time I try an Hexanon lens and I don't have an adapter to use it on my nex so I can't tell you if this lens perform better with or without extension rings! What impressed me with this lens is the sharpness (all these shots are almost unsharpened) and the color rendering, but that's also true that almost every lenses are good between f8 and f11....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots Pascal. You and RenseH are here the masters of macro shots. Beautiful captured.

Would you pls so kind and show us a pic of the gear you used (incl. flash etc.). What was the distance of the bee ?

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another great series Pascal, you are getting better with each one Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
Very interesting and beautiful images. Coincidentally, I have been using the Hexanon AR 50mm f1.8 lens with extension rings on my NEX.
I could swear that the 50 f1.8 works better on extension rings than without them. I wonder if you feel the same way about your 52mm?
I love the bokeh in your images!

I also have the 52/1.8 from my father and my copy is faulty or you are right Smile I've never done any PP on my few pics with that lens though.The pics have stunning colors and very good sharpness! The lens seem to be a dream on tubes! I'm currently not interested in macros but If you would I would give it a try now.

Very great series! You've made it very very well. These pics are really masterlike Smile

#1 and #3 are the best for me bye the way, while I think I would have cropped #1 slightly different.
#4 has a slightly suboptimal DOF and seems to be not perfectly focused but it's not bad anyway. I would make the pic a bit smaller. Size depends on the monitor and its resolution though

Does anyone know the name of the critter in #4? I think I've never seen it before. It looks a bit like an anime alien.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:02 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning shots again, 2 and 3 are just fantastic. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the detail and composition on the first one, great results.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the nice com, I really appreciate and it is a great motivation to go further with macro experimentation Very Happy ...

Rolf wrote:
Great shots Pascal. You and RenseH are here the masters of macro shots. Beautiful captured.

Would you pls so kind and show us a pic of the gear you used (incl. flash etc.). What was the distance of the bee ?

Wink

I don't have any picture of the combo but I will do it for you Wink ...and the distance from the bee was between 5cm and 10cm, don't know for sure ...

ForenSeil wrote:

....#1 and #3 are the best for me bye the way, while I think I would have cropped #1 slightly different..

I have tried some differents crops but unfortunatly I don't have enought space on on the right side of the bee to make a different and landscape crop Confused ...

ForenSeil wrote:
#4 has a slightly suboptimal DOF and seems to be not perfectly focused but it's not bad anyway. I would make the pic a bit smaller. Size depends on the monitor and its resolution though ..

you are right, the focus is not perfect on these one....this bug was quite small (less than 2mm I guess..) and very difficult to correctly focussed....that's why I have too crop so much to be abble to see some details of the bug...I have tried to used more extension rings and an other reversed lens but I was too late and the bug did not wait for mee Laughing ....

ForenSeil wrote:
Does anyone know the name of the critter in #4? I think I've never seen it before. It looks a bit like an anime alien.

I also don't have any idea what's the name of this bug and it was the first time I saw one! Indeed an amazing bug and if renseH comes here, I'm pretty sure he will tell us everything about it Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works well! Nice shoots!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third shot just JUMPS out at me - looks almost like selective focus the way you have utilized the
depth of field. Gosh, that LENS! What can I say? Very Happy Would a person REALLY need another lens in the
same focal length? I just don't see how it could get much better, at least viewing on the web.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work! Only a good lens couldn't to that Very Happy
Top class macro, all of them!

Wonder if my Hexanon 50mm 1.8 is as good as this (I doubt it), I never tested mine because I have not bought any AR adapter yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 is divine. The angle that captures the background is one of the best that I've seen. The colors have a depth of sensuality that transcends the eyes, alone, as if an aroma can be smelled and tasted. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply remarkable. The hexanons are really coming into their own on this forum. Thanks Attila for the starter

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that this has very little to do with the lens. Hexanon 52/1.8 is a very good lens, but it's not any "better" than other similar lenses, say Hexanon 50/1.7 or Minolta MD 1.7 or Canon FD 50/1.8, or Meyer Oreston 50/1.8. Chapeau to the photographer!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys for your very kind comments Embarassed .....
yesterday, I have quickly tried a reversed Helios H44 and it seems also to be on the same level as with the Hexanon, for this kind of macro shots , I think every single lens will do the job.....but I have to try with more difficult light (in the early morning or late evening) and also with backlight, then it should be more challenging for the lens and above that for myself as well Very Happy

here a sample with the (reversed) Helios 2/58mm+extension rings:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results with the NikonFF/Hexanon !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks phenix Smile ...
some more from today with the hexanon, first one with flash @ f16, the others with natural light between f/4 & f/5.6:
1/

2/

3/

4/

5/

6/

Sorry, it's always the same subject Embarassed ..I have to shoot outside my garden to find some different kind of bugs but no time at this moment.......

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salut copaing ! j vois que tu passe plus ici que sur HFR ! LoL

otherwise your last serie of photo are all very nice ,good job, i m jalous (what camera)

i love flower shoots but i prefer much more children's between 2 and 6years old ,i ve good contacts whit children and they more natural front of the lenses (no mimic)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salut l'ami Smile ...oui c'est vrai que je passe plus sur HFR mais j'utilise tres peu de M42 en fait, c'est sans doute une des raisons Wink ...
Anyway, thanks for your nice word, I also like children's pictures but mine are getting older and they don't want anymore to be in front of my cam Laughing ....
cam use is D700 on this last serie Wink
See you around, who knows!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb results again Pascal.
Do you find a spot in your garden and sit and wait for the bugs to come to you? I'd expect that to be easier than chasing the bugs around the garden like I do. Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Do you find a spot in your garden and sit and wait for the bugs to come to you? I'd expect that to be easier than chasing the bugs around the garden like I do. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Thanks Gary Smile ..
Well, I work at home so quite easy for me and during my (smoking Embarassed) break in the garden, like you said, I just sit and wait Very Happy .....

Last edited by pich900 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Thanks Gary Smile ..
Well, I work at home so quite easy for me and during my (smoking Embarassed) break, I seat in the garden and like you said, I just sit and wait Very Happy .....

Aha, I thought so Razz I too would like to sit and wait but I don't have a garden of my own. Next time I visit our castle gardens I'll take a small foldable stool with me, it will give me a lot more patience too.
I now have two 'L' shaped flash brackets and two Yongnuo flashes, the idea is to have very even lighting for macro. I still need to fabricate something for these brackets to attach to but that should be easy enough. Maybe I will soon have macro shots nearly as good as yours. Surprised Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Aha, I thought so Razz I too would like to sit and wait but I don't have a garden of my own. Next time I visit our castle gardens I'll take a small foldable stool with me, it will give me a lot more patience too.
I now have two 'L' shaped flash brackets and two Yongnuo flashes, the idea is to have very even lighting for macro. I still need to fabricate something for these brackets to attach to but that should be easy enough. Maybe I will soon have macro shots nearly as good as yours. Surprised Very Happy

I don't have so sophisticated flash equipment, only a diffuser attached on the flash is enough for my purpose, but can you shot without tripod with this combo????....... And you are going to blind the bugs with two flash Laughing ......

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

I don't have so sophisticated flash equipment, only a diffuser attached on the flash is enough for my purpose, but can you shot without tripod with this combo????....... And you are going to blind the bugs with two flash Laughing ......

Laughing
I'll use a monopod to take the weight of all this, plus focusing will be done by gently swaying back and fore.
I can fully control the two Yongnuo flashes so I hope I won't fry the bugs Laughing I have a couple of mini softboxes on them so I'm hoping mid-low power with a narrow aperture should get me the shutter speed I'll need to freeze the action.
I'll put this all into practice as and when the rain stops. Rolling Eyes
Very Happy