Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Couple of falconry shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Couple of falconry shots Reply with quote

7D plus CZ 135/3.5, taken yesterday at the local castle. I only stayed around for a short while because I was not feeling quite right, don't know what's up but this keeps happening lately.
Anyway, here's a beautiful Harris Hawk called Meddler and a Saker Falcon I forget the name of.

Harris Hawk by Gaz Sutherland, on Flickr

Saker Falcon by Gaz Sutherland, on Flickr

And an indication as to how close the falconer, Andy, gets the birds to fly by the tourists...(you can see Andy's glove on the right)

Amongst the tourists by Gaz Sutherland, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing clarity on these shots Shocked ....birds in fly with manuel lens is always a challenge, very good job.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus on the last one is incredible!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great captures!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
Amazing clarity on these shots Shocked ....birds in fly with manuel lens is always a challenge, very good job.....

Thank you Pascal. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:

Thanks, that was a difficult one because the bird was coming towards me as well as flying across the front of me. Huge chunk of luck involved Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Great captures!

Thanks Orio. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible pics! With a manual focus lens.
What are the keepers, percentage,etc?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all very nice, number 2 is my favorite though, something about the side ways glance gives the bird a menacing look, "like hey what's that over there, I think I will kill it"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Incredible pics! With a manual focus lens.
What are the keepers, percentage,etc?

The falconry shows usually last around 30-40 minutes, normally there will be three different birds flown during that time. I'll come home with maybe 100 shots, I'll cull 70% in camera so only upload 30ish to the computer. Then it gets difficult, some shots will look great at first glance but if they aren't as good as the lens can produce they get binned.
So I'll probably end up with 10% keepers....ish Laughing

I fair a lot better than all these tourists who turn up with 'big' cameras but no idea how to use them. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Excellent.

Thanks. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramcewan wrote:
all very nice, number 2 is my favorite though, something about the side ways glance gives the bird a menacing look, "like hey what's that over there, I think I will kill it"

I tend to position myself in such a way that the birds will often fly over me, that way I get more head-on shots...and seemingly dirty looks too. I'd hate to be prey to these birds. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:

I tend to position myself in such a way that the birds will often fly over me, that way I get more head-on shots

Excellent strategy. #1 and #2 are very emotional rightly thanks to your position.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are superb!

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

I tend to position myself in such a way that the birds will often fly over me, that way I get more head-on shots

Excellent strategy. #1 and #2 are very emotional rightly thanks to your position.

I think it helps that some of these birds recognise me now, no really. Razz The European and Bengal Eagle Owls certainly know me by sight, as does Meddler the hawk in the first picture. Birds like these have tiny brains (the size of a finger-nail) but they use every bit of that brain. Harris Hawks are known to be the most intelligent of birds of prey, they have to be because they hunt together in packs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
These are superb!

patrickh

Thanks Patrick. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you`re passionate with BIF invest some money in a better beamer and a flash.
Both, second hand, shouldn`t go more $100.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Beamer? To me a beamer is a BMW car, please tell me what your beamer is.. Smile and to be honest my flash would be useless at the distances I shoot these birds from.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy your shots from all the shows. I'm not saying that yor shots need improvement but if you want to pursue something new and different maybe you could read up on flash use on distant subjects. I've seen amazing shots of surfers, the equipment being long lenses with flash. Not a bad idea from the previous poster...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Himself wrote:
Beamer? To me a beamer is a BMW car, please tell me what your beamer is.. Smile and to be honest my flash would be useless at the distances I shoot these birds from.

That's exactly what a better beamer is used for. To shoot BIF at a distance.
Read this one

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/better_beamer.shtml

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:

+1 beautiful captures, I love them all!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Aanything wrote:

+1 beautiful captures, I love them all!

Thanks Attila. Very Happy