Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

testing my lenses - part 88 - Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: testing my lenses - part 88 - Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm/3.5 Reply with quote

Kiron made version

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thus its great reputation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i got it yesterday and it's already one of lenses that i really like

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet optics, what's the aperture in the first picture?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilguercio wrote:
Sweet optics, what's the aperture in the first picture?

wide open, i wanted to show bokeh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A LOT better than the Tokina made v2, the one of those I had was nowhere near this level.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new samples made with Olympus E-M5

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW snail orgy for the win! Laughing great capture.
im really hoping to own this lens some day... i think it is on par with modern zooms (like the canon 70-200 2.8 L) of that focal range only its a stop slower, but either way you get an awesome piece of glass!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoli4 wrote:
WOW snail orgy for the win! Laughing great capture.
im really hoping to own this lens some day... i think it is on par with modern zooms (like the canon 70-200 2.8 L) of that focal range only its a stop slower, but either way you get an awesome piece of glass!

yeah, it's nice lens, and with nice macro option.

just be sure to get Kiron made version like mine (22 serial)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my favorites, also a Kiron. And I only paid £10 for it because PK lenses are not that saleable, the guy at the camera fair had two on sale, the Nikon was £20 Laughing
The only thing it lacks is a tripod bush, otherwise it has to be the best in its price range ?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got mine in OM mount for 400 kuna at local photo fair. that's about 44-45 £

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they sold really well back in the day, so there's still a lot around to keep prices sensible, especially in the 'less favored' mounts.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won a Kiron made version in Olympus OM mount on ebay at the weekend for £17. I hope mine performs as well as yours! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I won a Kiron made version in Olympus OM mount on ebay at the weekend for £17. I hope mine performs as well as yours! Very Happy

when you target specifically certain lens you can get better deal, i got my copy at the local photo fair and couldn't pass up the oportunity to get it, so i payed for it more than you

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kiron one in Minolta MD mount in EX+ condition I will sell for $50.00 + shipping if anyone interested pm me.Reason for sale I have 2 Tamron 19AH which I use most of the time but the Vivitar is still a fine lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples! And the close focusing feature is really nice.

I had the Kiron version and it performed well, but I ended up selling it because I felt that it was too heavy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an auction for one in my country :

It seems that the grey part is a EOS adapter.
How to know if it's a Kiron one ?
Seller price starts at 45€.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This list is generally accepted as being accurate,

So how do you know which factory really made which Vivitar lens? I have it on good authority from a proverbial "reliable source" that Vivitar used the same lens numbering coding system from at least 1970 to 1990, perhaps earlier and later, for all their 35mm lenses.

The 1st TWO digits generally indicate lens manufacturer, except serial numbers starting with 6 or 9, which are single digit lens maker codes

The 3rd digit indicates the year of manufacture. This is a bit confusing, as you have to know which decade a particular style and type of lens was made. 8 as the third digit might mean 1978, or 1988, or even 1998. Hopefully you know enough about your lens to guess its decade.

the 4th and 5th digits indicate the week of the year of manufacture, from 01 to 52

the digits thereafter indicate the manufacturing serial number

Vivitar Subcontracted Lens Makers
(1st two digits of serial number)
6 Olympus
9 Cosina
13 Schneider Optik
22 Kino (aka Kiron)
25 Ozone Optical
28 Komine
32 Makinon
33 Asanuma
37 Tokina
42 Bauer
44 Perkin Elmer (US)
47 Chinon
51 Tokyo Trading
56 Kyoe Schoji
61 Samyang (?)
75 Hoya Optical
77 Kobori
81 Polar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lloydy Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost2501 wrote:
There's an auction for one in my country :

How to know if it's a Kiron one ?
Seller price starts at 45€.

that is first version of that lens and it is made by Kiron. those "ears" near the mount were only on that version.
http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

also 22 serial number is kiron, as stated by lloydy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'grey part' as you call it looks to me like a Canon FD mount.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 19AH as well. How does it compare to the Vivitar?

kryss wrote:
I have a Kiron one in Minolta MD mount in EX+ condition I will sell for $50.00 + shipping if anyone interested pm me.Reason for sale I have 2 Tamron 19AH which I use most of the time but the Vivitar is still a fine lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar is more robust and heavier than the Tamron and I think better made but I have found very little difference in the optical performance between the two but then I am a retired pro.I am sure someone will post and provide a lengthy technical post with why one is better than the other.I have about 80 + Tamron lenses and 6or 7 mounts for the various cameras I own so my basic lens selection is easy and I can use them on any of the cameras I am using that Day,the lens is in excellent shape optically,mechanically and cosmetically,it may have some zoom creep,nearly all do but is easily fixed by rolling back the grip and tightening the screws.Regards.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I need to take my 19AH out more often. I use the 35-80/2.8-3.5 01A more as it's a more comfortable walkabout range. The images from the 01A is really great.

kryss wrote:
The Vivitar is more robust and heavier than the Tamron and I think better made but I have found very little difference in the optical performance between the two but then I am a retired pro.I am sure someone will post and provide a lengthy technical post with why one is better than the other.I have about 80 + Tamron lenses and 6or 7 mounts for the various cameras I own so my basic lens selection is easy and I can use them on any of the cameras I am using that Day,the lens is in excellent shape optically,mechanically and cosmetically,it may have some zoom creep,nearly all do but is easily fixed by rolling back the grip and tightening the screws.Regards.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did miss this thread, due to location, but #4 and #6 are two great portraits, with perfect lighting, they would deserve to be in the Galleries.