Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Legendary" 28mm f/2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: "Legendary" 28mm f/2.5 Reply with quote

This looks very similar to my Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 Click here to see on Ebay

Does that mean my Vivitar is legendary and very expensive? Shocked

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this as a Panagor (x2) Vivitar (x1) and Miida (x1) so I am beyond wealthy... Smile

I wish there was a 'spam' option like Craig's List... It would cut the dross on ebay and save fools from themselves..

Doug

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same guy....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Chromed-Minolta-XD-7-Film-Camera-with-50mm-f1-4-rokkor-lens-/261015702649?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item3cc5bf8c79#ht_3761wt_1397
which means I'm now rich ! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

credit doesn't go for vivitar, its kiron made.
Legendary? I think tamron 28/2,5 is better

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same serial... Click here to see on Ebay
That's some mark up! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternate Internet ID wrote:

LOL Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utterly ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gobsmacked at those prices, I would never buy from a seller that only uses 'private' auctions.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha. The ad reminds me of a lot of threads I see here, of people waxing on eloquently about lenses that are rare because when they were made, everyone knew they were crap, from third rate companies, and no one bought them. Now they're "classics" and undiscovered masterpieces. :-)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how some people fall for this or even how some people find logical to ask so much beyond the acceptable value, whatever that is anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as the saying goes there is a sucker born everyday...

mdarnton - good point about rarity not being equal to quality, for example Konica made many many 40mm f1.8 hexanon lenses (and 50mm etc), they are very good even though completely not rare.

Also reminded me of the 6mm f2.8 Nikon fisheye that is being sold for $160k+ USD - I saw the sample pictures and yes it was cool to be able to see behind the lens but damn this thing would be absolutely useless

http://blog.graysofwestminster.co.uk/2012/04/24/amateur-photographer-article-monster-nikon-6mm-f2-8-lens-turns-up-in-london/

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramcewan wrote:
Also reminded me of the 6mm f2.8 Nikon fisheye that is being sold for $160k+ USD - I saw the sample pictures and yes it was cool to be able to see behind the lens but damn this thing would be absolutely useless

That is a whole different matter.

The "one of kind" league is not meant to many items and photography is no different. If you want something that is unique or close to that you will have to pay to deserve belonging to that group of happy owners.

I totally get it when one asks for a ridiculous value on a rare, mint condition lens. If preserved that will remain a hugely sought after collector's item and a profit is to be made if some day one finds out he doesn't need to own it anymore.

The problem with the example that started the thread is in my opinion the probable increase in prices for the rest of the exemplars that will be sold in a near future of that lens because some people look for quality and have no trouble in paying a moderate amount of money for a quality lens but others, despite the quality of the lens they just look for collector's value which sometimes is not really there.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this Panagor and the 2/35 Panagor too.

Good lenses, better than most third-party ones, pretty much the same level as good lenses in the same length from bigger makers such as the Canon FD 2.8/28, Pentacon 2.8/28, etc.

If that makes them legendary, I dunno, they are well built. Smile

I sold my 2/35 Panagor in mint condition for 60ukp, I was happy with that price as I paid 30ukp for it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I offered him 20, since he only paid 17. Smile
God, I hate profiteering bastards like him.

ramcewan wrote:

http://blog.graysofwestminster.co.uk/2012/04/24/amateur-photographer-article-monster-nikon-6mm-f2-8-lens-turns-up-in-london/

It'd be a bugger trying to keep your feet out of the shot. I'd think that lens would get boring very quickly, just like the fascination for fisheyes when they first started appearing.

Last edited by Farside on Thu May 24, 2012 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now his Panagor is indeed legendary...

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just robbery, he's turning ebay purchases around within days for rip off prices.

If you put the post code from his business address into Google street view you can see it's just someone working from home, there's no shop or anything like that on the street - you can actually see the house number.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens to, but I think mine was closer to 16, maybe he got the last number by mistake? Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "legendary" bargain!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, that Topcor is worth 180ukp, it's a sought after and superb lens.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

I offered him 20, since he only paid 17. Smile

Very Happy
Who's going to own up to the other offer? It would be awful if he got a rash of sub 20 offers!
Good luck to him if he thinks he can get half of that... but I suppose that might be his thinking, and he sells enough stuff so there are a lot of people willing to pay way over the odds for stuff.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Err, that Topcor is worth 180ukp, it's a sought after and superb lens.

Damn =P