Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Zeiss 50mm 1.4 Planar Cleaning
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Contax Zeiss 50mm 1.4 Planar Cleaning Reply with quote

On my recent trip to Asia, a bug got into my beloved 50 1.4 planar and I can also see some slight fungus growth behind the first element. So I decided to take it apart for cleaning. Removing the bug was easy enough, I unscrewed the name ring, and screwed out the front lens group, and the bug was just on the back side of the front lens group.

Now onto the fungus, which is a bit more difficult. I unscrewed the 3rd element retaining ring and was able to wiggle out the 3rd element, but I can't seem to get access and separate the first two elements. The first two elements seem to be in a one piece housing sealing them together. I can't seem to find any threads or lens wrench points to work with. Can someone give me some pointers on how to separate the first two elements? Many thanks!

Pic attached is how far I got.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Contax Zeiss 50mm 1.4 Planar Cleaning Reply with quote

banpreso wrote:
On my recent trip to Asia, a bug got into my beloved 50 1.4 planar and I can also see some slight fungus growth behind the first element. So I decided to take it apart for cleaning. Removing the bug was easy enough, I unscrewed the name ring, and screwed out the front lens group, and the bug was just on the back side of the front lens group.

Now onto the fungus, which is a bit more difficult. I unscrewed the 3rd element retaining ring and was able to wiggle out the 3rd element, but I can't seem to get access and separate the first two elements. The first two elements seem to be in a one piece housing sealing them together. I can't seem to find any threads or lens wrench points to work with. Can someone give me some pointers on how to separate the first two elements? Many thanks!

hi and welcome to the forum
photos of first post don't show as anti spam measure, now it should show

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh thanks, i was wondering how come i couldn't get it to work...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Contax Zeiss 50mm 1.4 Planar Cleaning Reply with quote

banpreso wrote:

Hi Banpreso, for many years I have tried to figure out how to take apart of a Zeiss 50 mm 1.4 lens for my Contact RTS-2. I have two of this lens that need repair. One has oily aperture blades that are now stuck to open. The other has the aperture mechanism broken inside.

Could you give more detail how you unscrew the front barrel? This lens has a different design that you can't remove the name ring of the lens alone. The name ring is part of the barrel. I could not figure out how to unscrew the front barrel to get into the internal of the lens. I have tried to disassemble from the rear of the lens. It won't allow getting into there from the rear.

I see that in your posted picture you have the front barrel taken off. That is really amazing. Could you please advise how you did it? Thanks a lot.