Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta X700 with a Minolta 50mm F2 on Agfa vista film
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Minolta X700 with a Minolta 50mm F2 on Agfa vista film Reply with quote

Last Monday my Minolta X700 arrived along with the 10 rolls of agfa vista I had ordered. So I quickly went round the house doing some test shots. I must say I am very happy with the results.
My full thoughts, with all the photos are here:
http://protas.metalforfishes.com/?p=527

Here are just a few of my test shots. I hope you enjoy. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice colour ,I'am enjoy too.
Surprised

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both camera and film seem to do very nice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you obtained better results than I did with that film...mind you I can't remember where I got it, and how old it was. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice acquisitions, i,m sure youre happy with the very good results.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers fellas! Very Happy

Excalibur wrote:
Well you obtained better results than I did with that film...mind you I can't remember where I got it, and how old it was. Rolling Eyes

Yeah I was googling last night and I came across a question about someone having trouble with the quality of thier Agfa vista film, was that you?
Either way I must say I am very impressed, the grain profile is actually less than both the Fuji superior and the Kodak ultramax that I have also tried for my own comparison. I now hear that with the increased film and developing sales that are being reported world wide, that Agfa might be firing up their film factory again. This would be great. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood wrote:
Cheers fellas! Very Happy

Excalibur wrote:

Yeah I was googling last night and I came across a question about someone having trouble with the quality of thier Agfa vista film, was that you?
Either way I must say I am very impressed, the grain profile is actually less than both the Fuji superior and the Kodak ultramax that I have also tried for my own comparison. I now hear that with the increased film and developing sales that are being reported world wide, that Agfa might be firing up their film factory again. This would be great. Very Happy

Well I have posted first impression results, on forums, using OOD Vista and used a Nikon 50mm, Haninex 28mm Tamron 80-210, Fuji 50mm, on one roll and wasn't impressed with the quality on any shots....maybe the development was bad Crying or Very sad , anyway I wasn't worried as I'm basically a Fuji superia 200 and reala guy but will try other films that I come across.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot, i like number 4, i use X700 too and love it. If you like close/macro shot, you must try MD 35-70mm f/3.5 macro, nice lens and cheap too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the heads up. Infact I might even have that lens in my collection already. I may have to fish it out and give it a whirl. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results!
The Minolta MD 50/2 lens is the best 50mm in this price league I've seen so gar Smile
And I had more than 30 manual ~50mm lenses and it did beat most even much more expensive lenses.

Sadly I've never used mine on color film. What a mistake Very Happy

I hope Sony will produce a fullformat NEX in the near future to get anything out of this lens.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:54 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely forenseil!
When I compare my results from my X700 with the minolta 50 f2 with those of my 500si or 700si with my minolta 35-80mm zooms, despite being much newer technology, I feel the X700 with the minolta 50mm f2 wins hands down...

I totally agree about a full frame Nex. The new 24.7 megapixel Nex7 looks almost like a home run with the EVF and tilt screen etc.
But imagine if they threw that 36mp sensor they are producing or Nikon in there? That would be.stellar! The only hole in sony's game then would be their optics...

Where did all that great optic engineering knowledge go when sony aqcuired minolta? Minolta really did produce some of the best gear. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood wrote:

Where did all that great optic engineering knowledge go when sony aqcuired minolta? Minolta really did produce some of the best gear. Very Happy

Well Sony kept it/the Minolta engineers!

The following new Sony lenses are optically identical to their older Minolta counterparts (except improved coatings etc.):
11-18
16/2.8 Fisheye
20/2.8
24-105
28/2.8
28-75
35/1.4
50/1.4
70-200 G SSM
75-300
100/2.8 Macro
135/2.8 STF
500/8 Mirror
...and a few more

Sony made also some new lenses like the Sony 85/2.8, 50/1.8, 50/2.8 Macro, 35/1.8, 30/3.5 Macro, and a few more Zooms but I guess they are also all made by Ex-Minolta developers.

So the knowledge is not gone... the Minolta MD 50/2 survives in the 50/1.8 Smile

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not realise they were using the same optics...
Then why do I hear so many complaints about Sony's Dslr optics? surely they should actually be quite excellent.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood wrote:
I did not realise they were using the same optics...
Then why do I hear so many complaints about Sony's Dslr optics? surely they should actually be quite excellent.

Where did you hear compaints about Sony DSLR optics? In Canon Forums etc. Wink ?
All lenses I mentioned are optically very good to excellent+++ . No doubt.
There was at least one real lemon though, the old 18-70 Sony/Minolta kit lens (from Minolta DSLRs and first Sony DSLRs). But there's now a new and much better 18-55 kit lens (which is similar to the Nikon and even a tad better than Canon Kit lenses).

Or are you thinking about the NEX 18-55 and 16/2.8 kit lenses? They are optically truly a little under average, but to be fair their price is also fairly low and there are no comperable lenses so that we could say that anyone else is able to do it better.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a few other photographers that I have met around the place, and yes on other forums that probably are more canon or nikon orientated forums, have all mentioned that they thought Sony glass was the weak point of their Dslr systems. But if this is just not true, they are probably just talking crap and have probably not owned these systems themselves, just commenting from someone elses opinion. While I was refering to the A mount Sony Dslr lenses, the Sony E-mount lenses have been put down pretty much all over the net. While I admit the 18-55mm is not really fantastic, I think the kit 18-55mm you get with the Pentax Kx may just be superior, the more I have used the kit 16mm prime lens I have found it quite a reasonable performer.... still nothing much beats great old manual Minolta glass in-front of this awesome sony sensor. Very Happy