Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My current shooting kit, arrived at after a year's testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: My current shooting kit, arrived at after a year's testing Reply with quote

Hi folks

In the last year I've been through more lenses than I care to remember looking for really great ones, finally I think I've got a shooting set that is as good as I can get without selling an organ to buy T*...

Here's what I have chosen after much testing and testing:

1. Tokina RMC 3.5/17 - just awesome, sharp across the frame, only slight barrel distortion, great colours and contrast, low CA, this lens has everything you could want in an ultrawide.

2. Konica Hexanon 4/21 - so sharp it could slice yer eyeballs, low distortion, no CA, just all-round superb, even has some 3d pop.

3. Konica Hexanon 2.8/24 - another super-sharp Konica, not found any weaknesses yet.

4. Konica Hexanon 3.5/28 - earlier 7 element EE version, incredibly sharp, very contrasty, has some 3d pop, I use this lens all the time and it has never failed to impress me. Only weakness is the single coating but as long as the sun isn't in the frame, it's no issue.

5. Meyer Primagon 4.5/35 - just stunning, my favourite lens, sharp like a razor at all apertures, has an incredible 3d dimensionality to it's rendering, colours are wonderful and it has fantastic bokeh. My best lens to use in bad light, these days it's rarely off my NEX.

6. Canon FL 2.5/35 - I was only going to choose one lens in each focal length but this one is so good I had to include it. Critically sharp even wide open, wonderful bokeh, such strong vivid colours, it has a special character to it's images.

7. Konica Hexanon 1.8/40 - usual Konica sharpness and quality, lovely tiny lens.

8. Minolta Rokkor 2/45 - as sharp as the Konica 40 but rather different rendering with vivid colours and such smooth bokeh, it has a certain charming character to it's rendering.

9. Konica Hexanon 1.7/50 - possibly my sharpest lens, great bokeh and colours, the best 50 I've tried and I've tried a lot, has some 3d pop.

10. Jupiter-8 2/50 - 1955 red P version, typical Sonnar sharpness and rendering, just a superb optic with a wonderful character.

11. Petri CC Auto 1.8/55 - an unknown gem and the best 99p I ever spent, razor sharp even wide open, swirly bokeh, really excels at infinity so I use it for landscapes, also wonderful at closeups at large aperture settings.

12. Topcon RE Auto Topcor 1.8/58 - I just love how RE Topcors render, critically sharp, fantastic contrast, smooth bokeh, I prefer this to my Pancolar, it's that good.

13. Pentax Super Takumar 1.8/85 - a recent acquisition but I immediately fell in love with it, pretty sharp, good contrast, smooth bokeh, a really nice focal length on my NEX. I might replace this if a better 85 comes along later.

14. Carl Zeiss Jena Cardinar 4/100 - the best Jena lens I've tried, a stunning optic, tack-sharp at all apertures, wonderful colours and bokeh, has some 3d pop, just a stunner.

15. Topcon RE Auto Topcor 3.5/135 - I've tried a lot of 135s and this is the best I've found, even better than the fantastic Konica Hexanon 3.2/135, it has everything, sharpness, contrast, bokeh, 3d pop, just wonderful.

16. Topcon RE Auto Topcor 5.6/200 - the best 200 I've found, like the 135 it has everything, it gives a great depth and dimensionality to images and is laser-sharp.

17. Tair-3C 4.5/300 - yes it's old, huge, rusty and feels like it's made out of an old artillery shell but it's a joy to use and is sharp and without CA at all apertures, a great telephoto by any terms.

18. Konica Zoom-Hexanon 28-135 - huge and heavy but as good as a prime lens at all settings, best zoom lens I have found and a really useful range of focal lengths on the NEX.

19. Konica UC Hexanon 4/80-200 - also huge and heavy but like the shorter Konica zoom is a truly superb optic and better than most primes in the same focal length I've tried.

20. Micro-Nikkor 3.5/55 - my macro lens of choice, sharp sharp sharp, does it's job very well and doesn't take up too much space in my bag unlike a bellows solution.

So that's it, covers all my needs and not much I would want to add, a fisheye like the Konica 15mm would be nice, maybe a Zenitar 16.

I'll add pictures later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, impressive list. Has me drooling a bit!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing your experience!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I better not tell you how much I paid for them, you might be a bit upset, the most expensive was about 100USD but all the rest were less than 60USD.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Thank you for sharing your experience!

Thank you for all the help you've given in guiding me to this kit, without mflenses.com I'd not have 95% of these lenses...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it great to have the chance to pick from a list of 20 lenses what you want to use each day?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Isn't it great to have the chance to pick from a list of 20 lenses what you want to use each day?

Oh yes, and when all the lenses can be relied upon to produce high IQ if you treat them properly then it is a great feeling.

I used to have more than 50 but many were of lesser IQ so happily I've sold most of those now.

In all, I have pretty much gathered up my 20 lenses for nothing as I've made enough profit on selling the lesser ones, which is a really nice feeling for a poor peasant like me! lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive..... Cool

But you've worked hard to get what you want, well done. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Great selection Reply with quote

What a great selection and quite a few i have never heard of and will have to check some out. Having said that i'd hate to fit that lot in my rucksack! Wink
Look forward to seeing some photos of the precious things
Brian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I have worked hard, hate to think how many crap lenses I tried. I do think you have to try all kinds of lenses to really appreciate how good the best ones are though.

I didn't think of taking pics of the lenses themselves, I shall have to do that, perhaps a group shot too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, some sample pics:

1. Tokina 3.5/17:

2. Konica 4/21:

3. Konica 2.8/24:

4. Konica 3.5/28:

5. Meyer Primagon 4.5/35:

6. Canon FL 2.5/35:

7, Konica 1.8/40:

8. Minolta 2/45:

9. Konica 1.7/50:

10: Jupiter-8 2/50:

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20122/big_4077_St_Georges_3_WEB_1.jpg]
[/url]

11: Petri CC 1.8/55:

12: Topcor 1.8/58:

13: Auto Takumar 1.8/85:

14: Cardinar 4/100:

15: Topcor 3.5/135:

16: Topcor 5.6/200:

17: Tair-3C 4.5/300:

18: Konica 28-135:

19: Konica UC 4/80-200:

20: Micro-Nikkor 3.5/55:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many nice images ! Great lens collection!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful list of gear you got there. A definite thumbs up to those Topcors! They are hidden gems no more after you publicizing it! Wink

Konica's of course are fab too!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topcors are not cheap to begin with and not many appear on ebay, the three I've got are by far the cheapest three. Not far off Oberkochen quality, not far off Oberkochen prices sometimes, sadly....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Great series of photo's Reply with quote

Wow what a cracking series of shots! those mountain shots are superb but my favourite is the Purple Gnome Wink great detail
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow......
there's some classy shots there Ian. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, all with NEX-3 apart from seagull on chimney.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Congratulation Ian. And thanks for sharing about your favorite lens.

So you could be more relax now Smile No sleepless night anymore ... thinking about lenses you would buy or dissapointing any bad lenses you just have bought .. It happened to me throughout last year Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great kit!!!

Thank you for sharing these precious info. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of work must have gone into acquiring and selecting those lenses. It looks like it paid off.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old topic, but I never replied to it.
This is a nice, useful list and I saved it to my bookmarks a couple of years ago.
I am curious are there any updates to this list?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting if Ian revisits this list, I'd like to know what's still on the list, and what's been added.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess: Fewer Hexanons.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

H'mm surely that would depend on how deep is your pocket and what you want a lens to do for the results you want.....if it was that simple there would be say only 1, 2 or 3 lenses recommended to buy from a range say from 15mm upwards Smile but even then there is the problem of copy variation. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it would be interesting to see your updated list after 4 years, Ian.

blotafton wrote:

...And the zooms replaced with Minolta AF zooms, fewer Topcors, no Tair (too havey), the 35mm replaced wit an older Biogon (if I remember well), some adapted Schneider cine projection lenses added and the overall list reduced with ~50%. That's my guess.