Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Test of several 85mm in Pentax Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Test of several 85mm in Pentax Mount Reply with quote

It's here Wink
http://www.monuniverspentax.com/test_85mm_pentax.html

Enjoy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome lenses, lot of effort and result ?? I love to see them in portrait action instead of boring pixel pipping.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A second part would be in line during next 2 weeks.
Bokeh + Portrait test (it takes time so...)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Test of several 85mm in Pentax Mount Reply with quote

fourmix wrote:
It's here Wink
http://www.monuniverspentax.com/test_85mm_pentax.html

Enjoy Very Happy

thanks for what you did. I'm waiting for next part.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work! Congrats + Thanks for sharing!!
You could join forces with Peter (spotmatic) here,
since he might have the largest collection of 85mm
lenses!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, even more when pentax will go full frame

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much! can't wait to read part 2. merci encore.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great test for 85mm even I can not read the characters. Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome test, thanks for putting in the effort.

I loved seeing how well the 50-135mm did against the big bad primes. I own the Tokina branded one for my Canon, and it is a very, very good lens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:
Awesome test, thanks for putting in the effort.

I loved seeing how well the 50-135mm did against the big bad primes. I own the Tokina branded one for my Canon, and it is a very, very good lens.

Thought the same... DA*50-135 is also my latest purchase. A really nice lens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: A bit disappointed in the Samyang Reply with quote

I know, Samyang has never done much in the past to brag about, but I thought this time might be different. I have a friend who is pretty happy with their new 8mm f3.5 fish-eye. Oh well, I can stick to my Nikkor AF 85mm f1.8. It's one of my sharpest lenses. I was hoping to step up to f1.4, but I guess that'll have to wait. There's rumor that Nikon is working on an AF-s 85mm f1.4, but I'm sure I can't afford it. Confused

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all Surprised

Here you have the second part of the test:

http://monuniverspentax.com/nikon/test_85mm_portrait.html

Enjoy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An extraordinarily thorough test, and one can hardly imagine how much love and labour were involved here.

Thank you very much indeed!

Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madamasu wrote:
An extraordinarily thorough test, and one can hardly imagine how much love and labour were involved here.

Thank you very much indeed!

Thomas

+1, and please thank the beautiful model for her patience while you changed lenses! Smile

This series of tests, for me, is like comparing a Ferrari with a Maserati. I'll never be able to afford any of them! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ZF lens seems a rather clear winner to me at f/1.4.
I'm appalled by the poor performance of the Summilux wide open: lack of detail, flarish, and loads of purple CA. Maybe it will better stopped down, but wide open, it seems the worst of the bunch.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice review, all lenses tested are good to excellent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I'm appalled by the poor performance of the Summilux wide open: lack of detail, flarish, and loads of purple CA. Maybe it will better stopped down, but wide open, it seems the worst of the bunch.

Yep, the Zeiss 85mm would be my choice (and it's a good thing since the lens for the test is mine Laughing )

The Leica is really a big piece of glass, quite heavy (700g) and produce surprinsing pictures in daily use (a mix of crisp sharp and softness + 3d effect and "vibrant" colours).

About the Ca's, you can see with the trees test that the leica is not the worst Wink .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me also the Planar is the winner at f 1.4.
The Leica Sumilux is known to be a softie at 1.4, but starting at f 2.8 it is very sharp, as the pictures show, and the CA is mostly gone too.

Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nicely surprised by the samyang's performance!
And definitely in love with the 50-135!
Must buy both!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reviews, and a tremendous amount of tedious work went into them. Amazing!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the other day that I had a gap in the 80mm range, I have very little between 50 and 135. But I do have the wonderful DA* 50-135, which I rarely use.

Please don't stone me when I say I really will have to use it more often ! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

What? Are you looking at the same test I am?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

I was depressed when found out that the FA85/1.4 was not as good after a week. But this lens has a sweet spot that few other can beat. It's also the only AF in 85 i have. Focusing in very low light without giving up. Sharp wide open, enough for my use, and razor sharp step down.

The test/review, however, makes me want to buy a nikon 85...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-o8lzmyfid1k/TvKCNz5LusI/AAAAAAAABPI/wazXPiS_2Ho/d/_C121583.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zKufRsYaCrc/TvKBuOP8veI/AAAAAAAABO0/B-5sq1vhakY/d/_C121453.jpg

[Pics too large]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FluffPuppy wrote:
Orio wrote:

What? Are you looking at the same test I am?

Probably not - that website has changed since the link was first posted. The Summilux CA at f1.4 is here:
http://www.monuniverspentax.com/nikon/test_85mm_portrait.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Great job fourmix. Super great job. Thanks a lot.

First, I myself like to compare lenses during last year, mainly portrait lenses (23 lenses), but I still find time to recap the result. I only did portrait shots not a chart test and not as comprehensive as yours.

Second, the trio Pentax-A, the FA 85 and FA 77 are my dream lenses Smile Till now I still can not found one of them at my acceptable price limit. Hope someday I found one, like I found the Summilux-R 80 with a super cheap price last year (but with a beat-up body)

About the Summilux-R, your test result is sharper and less glow than mine at f/1.4. Mine was the first version with words "Leitz Wetzlar" on the front ring while yours has a "Leica" name. Is it the latest R version?
Though often the glow at f/1.4 bothers me and sometimes frustrates me, especially if I pixel-peeping it at 100%, .. I love the color and rendering. On some condition it looks unique and gorgeous.

And about the Samyang, I had 2 version, the first one and the UMC version (only in Nikon mount) and the UMC is significantly way way sharper and more contrast than the first version. But trade off is that the bokeh of the UMC is harsher than the first version.
Anyway I only use Samyang if I need the smooth bokeh, and Canon if I need f/1.2, otherwise I use R 80, Rokkor 85 or Zeiss 85 C/Y Smile