Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Your preferred 12 mf lenses and why
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bump up this good thread ... Smile

Manual lenses I’ve been explored so far are mostly portrait lenses (which could be mounted on Canon FF DSLR).
Mostly for close and medium distance shots. And ... mostly wide open! Smile Well I know that fast lens does not mean it's always to be used wide open but I was interested on exploring what they can do at wide open .. the rendering, that is color-contrast, sharpness, especially the bokeh character, what kind of background that looks interesting at WO, etc.

I hope next year I could explore more wide angle and tele lenses (but I have to sell lots of my current lenses first to finance that exploration Smile )

As I said previously I love all my MF lenses, but as I have to pick 12 of them, here they are :

All shots are at wide open

Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35/2.4
I like the color, very short MFD, sharp and .. small! Smile

Pentax K 50/1.2 SMC
I like the subtle color (less saturated than Nikon 50/1.2), smoother bokeh (compared to all my standard f/1.2 lens).
I wish it could be sharper at wide open. Very curious about the SMC-A version sharpness compared to this one but the price is too high.

Leica Summicron-R 50/2
Great color, sharp, very nice bokeh.

Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75/1.5
I knew this lens for the first time from Attila’s post somewhere in this forum. Smile
For a very old lens this lens is a surprise and amazing.
Quite sharp wide open (sharper than the Planar 85/1.4 C/Y), and what I like the most is that it has unique bokeh which looks harsh in some condition but looks very beautiful in right condition (only Helios 40-2 can do that but it’s heavier and not very sharp WO), great color when not much strong light source in the frame

Leica Leitz Wetzlar Summilux-R 80/1.4
I got it at very cheap price due to a quite bad beat up body, but luckily the optic still performs very well.
Though glowing at wide open but I like it’s color and unique bokeh and beautiful blur rendering.

Minolta Rokkor 85/1.7 MC
For slower aperture than f/1.4 this lens has very smooth bokeh like the f/1.4 (my MD version bokeh is less smooth), and I like it’s subtle warm color

Jupiter-9 85/2 silver
The color is a bit greenish but I like the rendering, compared to other J-8 version I’ve tested (black & black MC) the silver is sharper, less glow and has smoother bokeh and .. it’s silver!! Smile

Olympus MC 85/2
Very sharp, subtle color, smooth bokeh (smoother than Pancolar f/1.Cool and … it’s very small & light !!!! Smile My smallest 85mm lens ever.

Rokkor MC 100/2
Has the same character of Rokkor 85 MC above plus it’s quite small .. my smallest 100/2 lens ever! Smile

Olympus 100/2
Super sharp, good color-contrast, smooth bokeh. I am still comparing it with Planar 100/2 C/Y to choose which one to keep. For the color I prefer the 100/2 C/Y which a bit better (for my taste).

Nikkor 105/2.5 Ais
Perfect lens except it's not an f/2 lens ... haha Smile

Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 MC
Great color & contrast, sharp enough and it’s sonnar bokeh is very very pleasing and again .. it’s small!! .. Smile Good for traveling light.

Last edited by nixland on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:52 am; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonus pic : Flektogon 35/2.4 MFD ... Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swappo wrote:

10. Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon 28/2

Cracking Picture, I would swear that used to power a Mine at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nixland,
that photo of yours with the silver J9, is amazing for the lack of flares - I have the silver J9 too and although
a great lens, it's single coating is not the strongest defence one can have in a lens against strong lights straight in the visible frame.
Did you edit out flares in your photo, or is it natural?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nixland,
that photo of yours with the silver J9, is amazing for the lack of flares - I have the silver J9 too and although
a great lens, it's single coating is not the strongest defence one can have in a lens against strong lights straight in the visible frame.
Did you edit out flares in your photo, or is it natural?

Thanks Orio. It's original image. No PP at all except sharpen-resize.
That shot was one of the reason I put the J-9 on my fav list. I was surprised myself that it can handle flare very well.

Fyi, all my photos posted in MF forum are all original shots with no PP at all for adjusting color saturation and contrast, unless I said so in the comment.
PP only for sharpen-resize.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's see.

1. Kodak Aero Ektar 178mm F2.5

Namiki by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

Not an easy thing to nail focus with the Kalart rangefinder shooting wide open, when the FOV/DoF equivalent is a 50mm F0.7 lens on a full frame camera, but when things click… magic.

2. smc Pentax 67 105mm F2.4

Deckard's Dream by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

Now, with this lens on a Pentax 67(II), it seems like it's *always* magic.

3. Carl Zeiss Biogon 38mm F4.5

Visitor in Blue by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

Ever since discovering this non-retrofocus "true" wideangle lens, it's been hard to be satisfied with retrofocus designed WA lenses. The compactness of the lens combined with the SWC/M body makes the combo one of the most frequently used setups in my collection.

4. Noritar 80mm F2.0

Hemerocallis by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

What can I say, the fastest 6x6 medium format normal lens you can get; but there seems to be a characteristic about this lens that makes it extra special, though I won't know for sure I'd prefer it over a Schneider 80/2, until I get to use it on a Rolleiflex 6000 series Very Happy

5. Hartblei/Carl Zeiss Super Rotator 80mm F2.8

Comm Ave. & Mass Pike, Boston, MA (317/365) by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

Really the reason I originally got into photography seriously 3 years ago was these tilt/shift lenses. This one is just one of the best, optically and mechanically. A slightly cropped version of this photo was featured in the May 2011 issue of Popular Photography.

6. Olympus Zuiko Auto-W MC 21mm F2.0

Kaze ga tomatta. by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

Long-time members here know what a steal I got this for; and it's likely one I won't be able to let go for quite some time, considering you get these pictures from such a compact form-factor.

7. Olympus Zuiko Auto-S 50mm F1.2

1 Down, 19 to Go (113/365) by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

I've owned several 50/1.2s, and this is the one I ended up keeping. I guess part of it has to do with the fact that I consider it part of my Zuiko family (along with the 21/2, 28/2, and 90/2), but it's definitely a great little 50/1.2.

8. Voigtländer Macro Apo-Lanthar 125mm f2.5

Japanese Anemone (283/365) by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

What can I say? Color rendition is just superb. The only problem with it is that I need to use it more Very Happy

9. Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm F2.8

Yo, wait up! I'm checkin' my prevs. by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

Man, this one lens… really, it's just this… and the 45/3.5 Super Rotator… that's keeping me locked into the problematic Pentacon Six mount system. But man oh man, it's such a great lens. Like the Pentax 105/2.4, every time I shoot with it seems to produce magic. The problem is the body. What I need is a way to convert this to use on a more reliable body.

10. Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F1.4

New Face by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

It's one of those lenses… kinda like the Pentax FA 31mm F1.8 Limited I had in the past… it's really just a super good all-rounder that I end up using it for pretty much everything… except for the actual "artwork", so to speak. Regardless, it's the lens that is almost constantly attached to my 5D Mk2 these days.

11. Kern Macro-Switar 26mm F1.1

On the Top of Its World by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

Had it once, let it go cuz I couldn't resist the price it fetches at the auctions; but then I had to get it again, because it's just so good on my GF-1. I'll not let it go again, until I decide I'm going to get out of the m4/3 system altogether.

12. Cyclop-1 85mm F1.5

In Action by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

I had an absolutely pristine Helios 40-2 85/1.5 at one point; I idiotically sold it on Ebay (to one of the members here) for less than half of what it would fetch today. This is the *one* lens that I've really regretted having let go and just haven't had the opportunity to get one back again. Fortunately, the Cyclop does a pretty good job of keeping my Helios-envy at bay, as it renders pictures in a very similar fashion as long as I'm OK never being able to stop down. And I'm totally OK with that Very Happy

Last edited by rawhead on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:19 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nixland, Rawhead....what fantastic images Smile Plus, I now have serious lens envy in something like 21 ways Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
Well, let's see.

1. Kodak Aero Ektar 178mm F2.5

Namiki by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

Not an easy thing to nail focus with the Kalart rangefinder shooting wide open, when the FOV/DoF equivalent is a 50mm F0.7 lens on a full frame camera, but when things click… magic.

2. smc Pentax 67 105mm F2.4

Deckard's Dream by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

Now, with this lens on a Pentax 67(II), it seems like it's *always* magic.

For such a picture I would kill somebody Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewStuff wrote:
Swappo wrote:

10. Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon 28/2

Cracking Picture, I would swear that used to power a Mine at some point.

Hm, I'm not sure there are any mines around there... But I'm not sure what it was used for either.
The shot was made in Ofredal, Norway.

Fun thing thou, the road to Ofredal goes through a very special tunnel.
It has a slope in the middle of it, and it really has the feeling of beeing in a mine. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a treat - beautiful samples!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
What a treat - beautiful samples!

+1 Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawhead, those images are amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Graham.

@Rawhead: Woww ... outstanding shots!
The Deckard's Dream is beautiful ... Blade Runner is my fav movie Smile

I saw you have Noritar. Week ago I was interested in Noritar 135mm f/1.4 on eBay, but since there is no reference at all about this lens on the internet, I have no confident to enter the auction Smile Can you share a bit your experience with your Noritar?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: My top 12 Reply with quote

These are the top 12 lenses:
Zess 21mm f2.8
Quite possibly the best landscape lense. Every picture taken by it is magical.

Zeiss 35-70 f3.4
My number one go to lense for landscape

Zeiss 85mm f2.8
Small and super shape, plus very nice signature drawing style

Leica 100 APO macro
The best macro lense money can buy. Optically it's just about perfect

Summicron 50mm f2
The colors from the lense are amazing. Lovely bokeh as well.

Summicron 90mm M mount
Soft bokeh, shape wide open, awesome lense for portrait

Zeiss 35mm f1.4
My copy doesn't quite reach infinity, but for everything else it's perfect especially in lowlight

Summicron 50mm collapsible
A very nice match for my Leica M4P, small and compact plus excellent colors and sharpness

Contax G 90mm f2.8
Similar charateristic to its 85mm Zeiss twin

Contax 28mm f2.8 Biogon
Very similar performance and style to the Zeiss 21mm

the last two are from Canon
17mm TS: very versatile, sharp give excellent control over depth of field as well as perspective

40mm f5.6L: my go to lense for wildlife.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the compliments! Smile

nixland wrote:
@Rawhead: Woww ... outstanding shots!
The Deckard's Dream is beautiful ... Blade Runner is my fav movie Smile

I saw you have Noritar. Week ago I was interested in Noritar 135mm f/1.4 on eBay, but since there is no reference at all about this lens on the internet, I have no confident to enter the auction Smile Can you share a bit your experience with your Noritar?

It just so happens that BR is also my favorite movie of all time Smile

From what I gather, not all Noritars are built the same. The 80/2 is awesome; some of the others in the Norita lineup are supposed to be competent, but not exactly things you'd write home about. However, I did have one eye on that 135/1.4, and from what I gather, it's does a great job wide open…. which makes it in one sense the best you can get, as there is no other 135/1.4 that you can get. I'd say a grand would've been a decent price, though people here will tell you when it used to be available for much less Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work indeed Rawhead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another bump for Orio's thread. And I'm adding my 12th lens since I had only listed 11 before (page 4), not wanting to force any into the top dozen. I've added the Lydith. Will it replace my Vivitar 28mm Close Focus in that range? Um, no, but nevertheless it seems a very nice lens. I also recently added a Kalejnar and it might have taken over for the Pentor at 100mm if not for lesser build quality. I haven't taken but one series of pictures so far with the Lydith - after cleaning dirt and fungus - so nothn special, but it impresses me as very sharp.

I also reaffirm my love for the Vivitar Series 1 200/3 after several shots like this during the same recent outing. This at f/4:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim, second one is especially good I love it!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawhead, i agree your first two shots are superb Smile

zm18/4

28 summicron

CV 35/1.2

pen 42/1.2

nikkor 5cm/1.4

cv 50/1.1

nikkor 55 micro

CV 75/2.5

canon 85/1.5 LTM

tele-elmarit 90

nikkor AIS 180/2.8

leica-r 400/6.8

I won't claim to do them justice, but I know what i like Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's my list. And, for better and often for worse, a few samples, including a few 100% crops.

Tokina RMC 17/3.5. Robidoux Nature Center, Jurupa Valley, CA. I just got this lens a few days ago. While I'm sure it falls short of the high-end lenses listed in this thread, it is very sharp, and quite surprisingly so when considering its budget heritage. I've only shot about 10 pictures with it. Here's one.

Tokina RMC 17/3.5 100% crop of upper right corner. There is some CA, but at this point, it doesn't look any worse than my Nikkor wide angle lenses.

Nikkor 20/3.5 Ai-S. Sand Hollow State Park, Utah. This lens is tiny, lightweight, but still gives wonderful images.

Zoom Nikkor 25-50/4 Ai-S. Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah.

Nikkor 25-50 100% crop of upper right corner of picture. Any other lens I have (except the Rodenstock) would show some CA. I have yet to find any significant CA in pictures with this lens. It's not the sharpest lens I have, but lack of CA helps a lot.

Nikkor 28/2 Ai. Mission San Juan Capistrano, CA. My go everywhere, do anything lens.

Asahi Super Takumar 50/1.4 - I don't know how this measures or stacks up against my Nikon gear, since I sold it when I switched to Nikon. But, back when all I had was a Yashica TL Electro and its stock, Yashinon 50/1.9, this was the lens that showed me that image quality could be significantly affected by the lens. It was spectacular. Not only a stop faster, but sharper and cleaner in every image I took. Wonderful, but no samples.

Nikkor 50/1.2 Ai. Orange tree at UC Riverside. This is my favorite 50 at wide apertures and close range.

Nikkor 50/1.2 Ai 100% crop.

Nikon Series E 75-150/3.5. San Diego Safari Park. This lens is sharp, light, easy to use, and proves that even budget lenses can be excellent.

Rodenstock APO-Rodagon D 75/4. Sarracenia minor. My best lens, also my least convenient to use.

Samyang 85/1.4 Aspherical at f/2. Sharp at wide apertures, no problems with CA, and wonderful bokeh.

Samyang 85/1.4 Aspherical 100% crop. Not bad for a budget lens.

Tokina AT-X 100/2.8D Macro. A pelican posing at the Oceanside Pier, CA. A cheat--a favorite lens that isn't MF. Oops. Sorry. But I use this lens in manual focus mode; don't like its autofocus. Simply put, this lens is very sharp, and it has great bokeh.

Tokina 100/2.8D 100% crop.

Micro-Nikkor 200/4 Ai-S. Sikorsky Sky Crane. Light, one-finger focus, sharp up close and at a distance, and it gives much more working room when shooting nervous or stinging critters up close.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread hasn't had air time in nearly two years, and it's been over two years since I first posted my dirty dozen. It is time for an end-of-2013 update as things have changed. Dropped from my list are:
Panagor 55/3 Macro - I just don't use 1/1 macro and have better lenses for general use.
Cyclop - A fun lens, but only for special urges.
Pentor 100/2.8 - Really an excellent lens, however I now have Topcor and Kalejnar.
ISCO 150/4.5 - Haven't used it much, probably because so slow.
Orestegor 300/4 - Another excellent lens, but so big and heavy it is just too inconvenient and has gone without much use.

Updated dozen...
Vivitar 28/2.8 Close Focus - This lens remains on my list. Great up close and far alike

Lydith 30/3.5 - Joins the list. It's just one of those lenses that make me smile when I see the results

Topcor 35/2.8 - Joins list as top 35mm over Flek

Meyer Primagon 35/4.5 - A new addition with great character - if I can get past it being so slow

Rokkor 50/1.4 - Love it more than ever now that I can use it on NEX

Topcor 55/1.8 - New additionwith great sharpness and wonderful blues

Jupiter-9 - New addition. A mint copy M39 with good sharpness and excellent character

Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 Macro - Sharpest lens I have

Topcor 100/2.8 - New addition. Kalejnar was a close second.

Vivitar Series 1 135/2.3 - A mainstay with sharpness, bokeh, and speed

Tair-11 - The best bokeh

Vivitar Series 1 200/3 - Probably my most used lens. Never disappointed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to dig for image samples, but here's my dozen, in order of focal length:

Tokina 3.5/17
Konica Hexanon 4/21
Nikkor-SC 2.8/24
Konica Hexanon 2.8/24
Zeiss Opton Biogon 2.8/35
Meyer Primagon 4.5/35
CZJ Sonnar 1.5/50
Jupiter-8 2/50
Micro-Nikkor 3.5/55
Topcon RE Auto Topcor 1.8/58
Fujinon TV-Z 1.8/75
CZJ Sonnar 4/135

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Tamron 55BB 500/8 mirror, w tc
2. Nikon 400/5.6 ed-if ais
3. Tamron 360B 300/2.8, w tc
4. Nikon 200/4 micro ed-if
5. Nikon 180/2.8 ED ais
6. CZ 135/2.0 c/y
7. CZ 100/2.0 c/y (non macro)
8. CZ 85/1.4 c/y
9. Tamron 70-150/2.8 soft focus
10. Canon Ltm 50/1.2
11. Olympus OM 35/2.8 shift
12. Nikon 28/3.5 PC
12. Nikon 28/2.0 ais
12. Olympus OM 24/2.8 mc
12. CZ 25/2.8 c/y
12. Olympus OM 21/3.5 mc
12. CV Heliar 15

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Sorry, I do not have the time to look for some shots that prove my evaluation, but I'd like to give you my list nevertheless.

1. Leica Summicron-R 2/50 (FF, APS, NEX)
My all-time favourite, no matter on which cam. Fantastic in all fields: colours, sharpness, bokeh, haptics...

2. Nikkor-H 1.8/85 (FF, APS)
An amazing lens on a FF and APS EOS, too big for the NEX for my taste.

3. Minolta Rokkor 2/28 (FF, APS)
The only wide angle lens I really need. Great "normal" lens on APS. Also amazing on the NEX, but a tad too large for it.

4. Tamron SP 2.8-3.8/35-80 (FF)
Perhaps the best MF-zoom I have. Ultra versatile, even good for close focus shots.

5. Leica Summitar 2/5cm (NEX)
My favourite portrait lens for the NEX, due to its very special character. As a rangefinder lens not sensibly usable on an EOS, though.

6. Nikkor-S.C 1.2/55 (FF, APS, NEX)
My specialist for very narrow DoF or very low light. Stopped down a very nice allround-50.

7. Minolta MD Rokkor 2/45 (NEX)
The second favourite lens I only can use with the NEX. Doesn't focus closely but just "fits" the little cam.

8. Olympus Zuiko 1.4/50 (FF, APS, NEX)
Allround performer, good enough for fullframe and small enough for the NEX. Wink

9. MIR 24N 2/35 (FF, APS)
A lens that can do almost everything. Close-ups, reportage, low light and even portraits.

10. Leica Elmar 4/180 (FF)
Gorgeous results. The only medium tele lens I need.

11. Steinheil Quinaron 2.8/35 (FF, APS)
See MIR 24N, but also with a vintage type of character.

12. Nikkor-N.C 2.8/24 (FF, APS, NEX)
A fantastic performer on APS and NEX and a character on FF.

That was my initial list. Allow me to update it:

(I have to admit that my favourite lens at the moment is an AF lens: the Fujinon XF 1.4/35 for the Fuji X-E1.)

1. Voigtländer Ultron 2/28 (Leica M8 & Fuji X-E1)
An almost perfect lens for my "retro" cams. Colours, sharpness, bokeh ... everything!

2. Voigtländer Color Heliar 2.5/75 (Leica M8 & Fuji X-E1)
Excellent lens. Actually a second number one with the Ultron 28.

3. Nikkor-H 1.8/85 (EOS 5D)
Probably the best lens I have for my DSLRs. Nothing left to be wanted.

4. Leica Summicron-R 2/50 (EOS 5D)
Very, very good in every aspect.

5. Voigtländer Super-Wide Heliar 4.5/15 (Leica M8 & Fuji X-E1)
Much better than it's reputation and nicely wide on the M8 (and even on the Fuji).

6. Samyang 2.8/14 (Fuji XE-1)
Yes, there are some drawbacks (mustache distortion, size) but I like it nevertheless. Gives me a real 14mm FoV with the LensTurbo.

7. Nikkor-S.C 1.2/55 (EOS 5D & Fuji XE-1)
The only "superfast" lens I have. Produces a nicely shallow DoF even on APS.

8. Jupiter-9 2/85 (EOS 5D & Fuji XE-1)
Re-discovered with the Fuji X-E1. Very special.

9. Nikkor-N.C 2.8/24
A tad better than the Tamron 2.5/24 and because of that in this list.

10. Tamron SP 2.8-3.8/35-80 (EOS 5D)
The best zoom lens I have, I guess.

11. Leica Elmar-R 4/180 (EOS 5D)
Wonderfully small for a 180 and still very capable.

12. Pentax-M 1.7/50 (Fuji X-E1)
Also re-discovered with the Fuji X-E1. Not a stellar lens but a solid performer in all fields.

Other lenses are also pretty close: Minolta Rokkor 2/28, Nikkor-S.C 1.4/50, Olympus OM Zuiko 1.4/50 etc.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't currently own every one of these lenses, but I have used all of them and they are all memorable for one reason or another. Presented in order of FL rather than which is most favourite. I tried with lenses I actually own right now and couldn't manage it, even though I have more than a dozen, which suggests I need to cull a few, or maybe buy a few more Twisted Evil

1. Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L
This is simply the best ultra-wide I’ve ever had the opportunity to use. It’s nothing short of amazing to see such a wide lens rendering images which are near distortion free.

2. Zeiss Distagon 18mm f/4 C/Y fit
Obviously not distortion free but good flare resistance and a great lens for use on both FF as an ultrawide and APS-C as a 28-ish walk around.

3. Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 Mark II
Like the 17mm this is simply awesome, when I upgraded from the Mk1 I had a 1Ds Mk1 and even with such a low pixel count the increase in clarity was remarkable. I’d love to try it on a Sony A7r.

4. Zeiss Distagon 28mm f/2.8 C/Y fit
Classic 28mm, I have an AEJ model and made my favourite recent image with it a couple of weeks ago.

5. Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.4 C/Y fit
Nothing needs to be added to the consensus on this one.

6. Pentax SMC-M 50mm f/1.4
My first fast 50 used on a second hand MX back at the end of the 80s, lovely combo and the MX is still the best manual only camera I’ve used.

7. Zeiss Planar 85mm f/1.4 C/Y fit
Big and heavy, it didn’t balance on any of my Contax bodies but it’s an Awesome portrait lens - regret letting it go, but have probably used my NEX-6 more often that I'd have used this lens. Just bought an 85/2.8 Sonnar as a stepping stone back to the big gun...

8. Canon FD 85 f/1.8
It’s a nice bit of kit I owned it and enjoyed it for about 15 years. Yup, even with the Sonnar I still miss having a properly fast 85.

9. Canon FD 135mm f/2
Had a slightly sticky aperture even more front heavy than the Planar 85/1.4 but I did take some of my favourite photos ever with this lens. Just bought a EF 135/2L to replace it but have yet to get out and shoot it.

10. Tamron SP 24-48mm f/3.8-4.2
Bought, sort of accidentally, early this year as part of a bargain bundle of Contax body and 50/1.7 Planar. Surprised me with its quality and looks like becoming a fixture in my kit.

11. Canon FD 28-85mm f/4
Best manual focus standard zoom I’ve used - Preferred over the FD35-105 and various Tamrons. Yet to try the Contax 28-85 tho’

12. Canon FD 20-35mm f/3.5L
My first high end lens and being able to zoom at that sort of focal length was a revelation. Oddly I no longer have a zoom in that range for my DSLR.