Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon AR 3.5/28 7-element EE version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, those are stunning results, Lovely some of your best work by far.
Not seen you around here for a few weeks you would have missed my Petri post i managed to adapt that lens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate, been working hard at my landscapes, got a load more, been using my 3.5/28 and 1.8/50 Hexanons and my Meyer Oreston 1.8/50 and Pentacon 3.5/30 lenses mostly, as much as I love my Meyer/Pentacons I am finding me using the Konicas more and more.

I would be interested to see your Petri results, I have three copies of the 1.8/55 Petri, one is quite beaten up and needs a clean, one is in great condition but needs re-assembling and the third i converted to EF for use on my EOS. If you fancy cleaning up the dirty one, you can have it, I think it has some fungus and scratches, can't remember but I can dig it out and have a look, stunning lens imho judging by th eperformance of the converted copy on my EOS.

I managed to find a Soligor TC in Petri mount so I am going to cobble together a NEX-Petri adapter using parts from the TC and a Nex-EOS adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent job Ian, don't forget to boost colors , sharpness, contrast in post processing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
excellent job Ian, don't forget to boost colors , sharpness, contrast in post processing.

Most are stitched images so have been PPed quite a lot, I am slowly learning my craft, PP is quite difficult to do without being obvious imho, but I will keep working on it. I don't think I have sharpened any of those images, I have played with the contrast and colours though.

The only weakness I can find with this Hexanon is the flare resistance, it's single coated and as you can see in the last shot of the harbour, it does flare quite badly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a very long time I used two Konicas T3n one chrome and the other a black one. One with the 2,8/24 (my copy was somerhing in the prone to flare side) and the other with the 1,8/85.

Both excelent lenses. The 85 mm a bit less contrast.

The 75/150 zoom sourprised to me. Great contrast, very high. Marvelous zoom. If anyone can try it, do it. Perhaps prone to has fungus.

Very nice pics, all of them.

Rino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Rino.

The 2.8/24 and 1.8/85 are both in my 'must buy' list but I doubt I will find them easily or cheap!

Thanks for the tip about the 70-150 zoom, I have the 28-135 in mint condition, not tried it yet.

I wonder if the 70-150 is a Konica design or whether it is the same as the 70-150 that was sold by Nikon and a few others, I have heard similarly high praise for that 70-150 from several people.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the 3.5/28 out with me today and shot some HDR, I used a Cokin-A CPL in holder with square Cokin hood. I love the results this lens gives, so sharp, such nice colours, bokeh is nice too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series.

Some of them are very good ones (Specially 2, 3 and 7).

The hexanon 28 is a very good lens, isn't it? Wink

Because the lens is so good.......!!!!!!!!! (An old publicity of the Konica cams in the 70's)

Thanks for sharing.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Rino, it was your information on the 7 element version that made me go out and buy this lens and I am very happy with it indeed, it is a wonderful lens and feels so well built, no plastic at all, just metal, this is what I like a lens to feel like. For the 28ukp O paid I feel I made a very wise investment in an optic that will serve me well for many years to come.

Interesting you like 2, 3 and 7, those hadn't caught my eye as the best of the set but I do like them. The only non-HDR image I kept was actually of 2, I think I like it more than the HDR version actually, less colourful but more contrasty.

I am finding the combo of NEX + Hexanon + HDR a dream. I shot a similar series a few days ago in the same woods with my Tokina 17mm and while the IQ of those is very good, these Hexanons shots are noticeably sharper.

If I had to be critical, the only weak spot in a sea of strong points is the single coating of this lens, which means it will flare somewhat, but I can live with that and flares can sometimes be useful artistically.

Tomorrow I am testing two more Hexanons - 3.2/135 and 4.5/300, I hope they are as good as this 3.5/28!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Great series! Congrats!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou, NEX+Hexanon is such a dream combo, makes this work so much easier to get right.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Thankyou, NEX+Hexanon is such a dream combo, makes this work so much easier to get right.

this is my opinion too I keep all of them what I have and sell other lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEX+Hexanons have improved my work a lot, I doubt I would do much better with Zeiss T* and a more expensive camera, I would of course, have a lot less money left if I had bought Zeiss...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the picturesque lake Wastwater today and used the 3.5/28 with Cokin CPL again, HDR again, all shot fully stopped down, I think the results were quite good, this is definitely a very good lens for this kind of work, and it is therefore invaluable to me because I mostly shoot HDR landscapes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhh......................I didn't see the series.

Great job, well done.

Thanks again.

Rino

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Rino, I was lucky that it stopped raining for an hour so I managed to snap this series between the rainstorms. I find that when the weather is stormy like this, it often makes for dramatic landscapes as the skies look ominous and there are patches of light and dark on the land as the sun breaks through the clouds in places. I'm hoping we get some snow this year as I reckon it will make for some very pretty scenes, I will return to this lake again and hopefully capture it with snow on the mountains.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more from the Wastwater series:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Wow, Ian, some nice shots here, especially this one. I like much better than that pigeon on a chimney Smile Glad to see you getting out of the neighborhood.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's possibly my favourite too, I have a wider panoramic version of that shot that is possibly better:

My work really has come on a lot since I discovered this site, I didn't venture far from home until I'd learnt what I was doing, now I've learnt to take a decent snap I'm taking advantage of all the beautiful landscapes in my neck of the woods.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices of Konica lenses will surely rise now that there are digital cameras that can mount them.
With Canon EOS they don't reach infinity so I am cut off from them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Prices of Konica lenses will surely rise now that there are digital cameras that can mount them.
With Canon EOS they don't reach infinity so I am cut off from them.

Yes, they are rising fast, as are M39, Minolta MD and Canon FD, M4/3 and NEX users must be the reason. However, for the price, Hexanons are still total bargains, Zeiss quality for a fraction the cost, Rokkors are supposed to be excellent too, I just bought a 2/45 Rokkor for 11ukp as an alternative to the Hexanon 1.8/40 (which is now fetching 50-60ukp on ebay) as a pancake lens, I already have the Pentacon 2.4/50 pancake but it's not a great lens, people say the Rokkor 2/45 is superb.

With a brand new NEX-3 for 180ukp on ebay (and there are loads of them) it's worth getting one just to be able to use those lenses that won't work on EOS and the NEX produces wonderful images. It fits in a pocket too and with a small lens like a Hexanon 1.8/40 or Rokkor 2/45 it's not that big a combo. I like to use my Industar-61 when I want to travel light with just the NEX and a lens in my pocket.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic shots, Ian...especially the last series. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I tried my Canon FD 2.8/28 S.C. today and it's nowehre near as good as this Hexanon, it's a good lens, but this Hexanon is really special imho. When used with the NEX it's a dream combo so that has really helped improve my landscape shots.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been picking up Hexanons when I see nice ones, so far I have
28/3.5, 52/1.8, 57/1.4, and 100/2.8
I intend to use them on NEX7 till something better comes along.

Nice series

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collection lightshow, when you get a NEX you will definitely enjoy them!

NEX-3 is a bargain now, 170-180ukp for brand new ones in ebay.

I wanted to visit Seathwaite Tarn today to capture the sunset over the water, sadly I didn't make it that far due to timing and had to shoot from the foot of Walna Scarr a kilometre or so below the tarn but it's quite pretty there and I managed to capture some quite atmospheric sunset shots, the warmth and low angle of the light worked quite well methinks. I used a Cokin A 160 CPL on the lens for these shots apart from the waterfall which I used a cheap chinese ND8 filter to blur the water with longer exposures.