Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Industar 61 50mm f2.8 on Panasonic GH2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Industar 61 50mm f2.8 on Panasonic GH2 Reply with quote

Hi

iam new on this forum, so this is my first topic. just posting some pictures i had taken with mine GH2 with the well known Industar 61 lens.
I mostlly use this lens for macro photography on the budget ad shooting or wide open 2.8 or down to max f5.6.
The colors rednering of the lens is nice, but the focusing at f2.8 its tricky the focus range is much shorter on this lens than the f2.0 on the helios 44-2 , and this is strange...
so there some pictures...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!
The best shot in my opinion is #3. It would look good if converted to b&w with the contrast boosted to bring out the grain of the wood! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All shots but the wood door look either out of focus or too soft I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Welcome to the forum!
The best shot in my opinion is #3. It would look good if converted to b&w with the contrast boosted to bring out the grain of the wood! Smile

thnx, those are just jpg out of the camera, just to post a little about this lens.
iam useing all ML hand held, but this one is the hardest to focus with, even on f4.0-5.6, its easier to focus with the Helios 44-2 on f2.0 or CZJ 135mm on f3.5 then with this Industar.
The Industar 61 that i have is really in good shape, almost as new, clean glasses... but i dont know why is so hard to get in focus the subject, at least when used for macro.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:

yeap, maybe i should try with a tripod

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Industar-61 isn't sharp lens wide-open. It needs to be stopped down to get best results. The Tessar design (which is Industar based on) is already little overstretched at 2.8 aperture. It's little slower brother - Tessar 3.5/50 or Industar-50 3.5/50 - are much better wide-open.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome rutrem
the butterfly is at 1/30s and most shots are under 1/100s
the 50mm is a 100mm on the G2, 1/100s should be ok but for macro 1/200s is safer, try with a better light

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Very Happy

I have that lens too. It's good fun to get to know it, which you are already doing Cool

I LOVE the wooden door image Mr. Green

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
welcome rutrem
the butterfly is at 1/30s and most shots are under 1/100s
the 50mm is a 100mm on the G2, 1/100s should be ok but for macro 1/200s is safer, try with a better light

thnx a lot for the tip, ill try.
Thnx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Welcome Very Happy

I have that lens too. It's good fun to get to know it, which you are already doing Cool

I LOVE the wooden door image Mr. Green

oh i like the Industar61 a lot, really great lens, nice focusing and is small and light, with a adapter for m4/3 have the same weight as the kit lens 14-45mm.
when i nail the focus( :p ) it gives beautiful results. and i like the colors to.

thnx
the photo of the door was a an easy task to focus at f2.8,

i see that u have a lot of russian lenses, i heard a lot of good things about the Mir-1 2.8/37mm, what is ur opinion?

Last edited by rutrem on Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rutrem wrote:

A tripod would definitely be a good idea, but there's no mirror slap with this camera is there? You should contrate on keeping the camera as still as you can.

Anyway, I think the criticism is a little harsh. Most of the pics have a small area in sharp focus, but you need a greater depth of field really for these difficult subjects. I would suggest you stick to using f5.6 or f8, with a higher ISO setting and faster shutter speed as poilu suggested. Wide open is only for special effects.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a G2 and find most lenses easy to focus using the 5x or 10x focus assist? Lack of sharpness from focus error is very rare for me - but sadly I do now suffer from a degree of tremor, and the x10 in particular on long manual focus lenses makes the picture jog up down and sideways but I can still nail it 90%... One reason I chose the Panny G2 over the lovely Olympus models is that although the Oly's give stabilization on all attached lenses, the 'through the lens real time' stabilization system on the Panny's lens aids me when composing given my tremor! lol

It's easy to use on my camera just press the button button on the 'D' and then press in the dial that one uses for changing settings, just above the thumb on the G2 or round the front on the G1 and some other models?

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
rutrem wrote:

A tripod would definitely be a good idea, but there's no mirror slap with this camera is there? You should contrate on keeping the camera as still as you can.

Anyway, I think the criticism is a little harsh. Most of the pics have a small area in sharp focus, but you need a greater depth of field really for these difficult subjects. I would suggest you stick to using f5.6 or f8, with a higher ISO setting and faster shutter speed as poilu suggested. Wide open is only for special effects.

Yep, the camera did not have the mirror.
Nope it was not mine intention to criticize the lens, i like it very much, it was just strange to me that was just easier to focus with the 50mm Helios at 2.0 that with the Industar...
i tryed today rising up the shutter speed over the 1/100 as Poilu suggested and the results ar much better.
Another thing that can influence the focusing... when i was shooting those images(except for the wood door) i was hiking around , so i think that higher blood pressure affect the steadiness while r u shooting.
Anyway, thnx for the infos and tips! Ill try rising the ISO also.

What camera do u use for manual lenses?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rutrem wrote:

Nope it was not mine intention to criticize the lens, i like it very much, it was just strange to me that was just easier to focus with the 50mm Helios at 2.0 that with the Industar...

I didn't mean you. Smile I meant ChromaticAberration's comment about the pictures being out of focus or too soft was a little harsh.

Quote:
Anyway, thnx for the infos and tips! Ill try rising the ISO also.

If you close down the aperture to 5.6 or 8 to get a decent DOF, you'll need a slower shutter speed. But with that camera you should keep the speed above 2x the focal length to avoid camera shake, so you'll probably need to raise the ISO.

Quote:
What camera do u use for manual lenses?

My digital camera is a Canon 400D but I use it much less than my film cameras. I have 7 M42 cams, 3 Pentax K mount and 3 Minolta MD (listed in my signature). I'd like to have one camera as a favourite but I haven't found it yet, so I keep exploring. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
I have a G2 and find most lenses easy to focus using the 5x or 10x focus assist? Lack of sharpness from focus error is very rare for me - but sadly I do now suffer from a degree of tremor, and the x10 in particular on long manual focus lenses makes the picture jog up down and sideways but I can still nail it 90%... One reason I chose the Panny G2 over the lovely Olympus models is that although the Oly's give stabilization on all attached lenses, the 'through the lens real time' stabilization system on the Panny's lens aids me when composing given my tremor! lol

It's easy to use on my camera just press the button button on the 'D' and then press in the dial that one uses for changing settings, just above the thumb on the G2 or round the front on the G1 and some other models?

Doug

Yeah it easy with the magnification, but after i exit the magnification and press the shutter button i slightly move or is a shutter lag(becouse i shoot in Aperture priority to see how the picture will come out).
I like Olys sensor based IS more than Pana in lens.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this lens has grown on me a lot, great lens