Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 2.8/28
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter, do you have an EOS? I can send you the Yashica ML 2.8/28 and 2.8/35 and the adapter to play with.

Tomorrow I will take out my Tokina SD 28-70 in C/Y mount and try that with the same adapter on my EOS.

Good job this lens was a bargain otherwise I'd be rather unhappy, well, I am unhappy about it, but it would be greatly amplified had I spent a fair wad on it, I paid 24ukp for the 2.8/35, I will test that again tomorrow too.

I will also try the ML 2/50, that can't be as bad, surely? I have a Yashica DSB 2/50 as well, never tried that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hi Peter, do you have an EOS? I can send you the Yashica ML 2.8/28 and 2.8/35 and the adapter to play with.

That would be great Ian! Many thanks.

Would you give me permission to unscrew some of the lens rings on the 28 and see if I can find any faults? I was thinking last night, I once came across a similar problem to this on a CZJ lens - one ring must have been a little loose and I guess the lens had been dropped and the glass had moved slightly off the optical centre. Once it was repositioned and the rings tightened it was back to normal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter

Your present arrived today and I'm delighted with it, silver early red P version is precisely what I was after, focus ring problem is fixed, tightened the gryub screws, need to get an M39-NEX adapter, twas payday today so will order one, I have a collapsible Industar-50 and a silver/black industar 61 to try as well, the J8 will probably be the best.

I will send you the Yashicas and the adapter tomorrow, I have your address on the note from the parcel, you have my permission to do any remedial work you like, the 35 may have a similar problem, my samples from it weren't so great but not tried it again since (apart from these nighttime tripod shots) due to bad weather all the time here.

ML 2.8/35:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with those that questioned the infinity adjustment. Regardless of adapter I use, I test each lens for infinity as two lenses may very well be different with the same adapter. Often times infinity goes beyond, but we never know when it stops shy of infinity - a very little bit can make a big difference. I usually take three pictures; one at the stop point, then two more with extremely slight adjustments of the focus. This will tell me if the stop point is the best of the three or if it goes beyond.

Ian: You answered me earlier that you had Viv 28mms, but is any the CF model?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are both the CF model, the Pk mount one definitely is, the other is in OM mount and is soft at infinity, maybe the OM-EOS adapter, I don't rate that lens judging by my copies, neither is sharp, might be bad copies. I do rate my HOYA HMC 2.8/28 though, the HMC coating seems superb and it is rather sharp.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I'm with those that questioned the infinity adjustment.

+1 Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly is sharper close up than at infinity, but it's not really sharp at any distance, my money is on it being faulty.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It certainly is sharper close up than at infinity, but it's not really sharp at any distance, my money is on it being faulty.

Try shooting close distance at f5.6. I bet it will be sharper then at f8.
I've seen that before on 28mm lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I think they are both the CF model, the Pk mount one definitely is, the other is in OM mount and is soft at infinity, maybe the OM-EOS adapter, I don't rate that lens judging by my copies, neither is sharp,

Ian: I'm sensing a misunderstanding. The Close Focus is part of the name, not just a function of the lens (thus Close Focus, not close focus). I've never heard of one not being sharp. If you do indeed have a Close Focus model and iit isn't sharp, then you do have an adapter infinity issue. This is what the lens looks like; note the name:

Infinity comes at less than ten feet. Do these look sharp enough?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my PK fit model is the sam as that with the close focus labelling and the 28 serial (Komine, right?) the OM one is the same, with a 28 serial but I can't remember if it also has the close focus labelling.

My PK one wasn't sharp when I tested it, the OM one was soft at infinity and fairly good closer.

I'll do a shootout with all my 28s - Pentacon 2.8/28, both Vivs, both Ensinor 2.8/28s, Hoya HMC 2.8/28, I suspect the Pentacon and Hoya are by far the best of the bunch from the times I've used them. The weakness of the Ensinors is the flare resistance, quite sharp though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hi Peter

Your present arrived today and I'm delighted with it, silver early red P version is precisely what I was after, focus ring problem is fixed, tightened the gryub screws, need to get an M39-NEX adapter, twas payday today so will order one, I have a collapsible Industar-50 and a silver/black industar 61 to try as well, the J8 will probably be the best.

That's great news! I'm pleased it's what you wanted and you managed to repair it. Can't wait to see what you can do with it now. Smile

Quote:
I will send you the Yashicas and the adapter tomorrow, I have your address on the note from the parcel, you have my permission to do any remedial work you like, the 35 may have a similar problem, my samples from it weren't so great but not tried it again since (apart from these nighttime tripod shots) due to bad weather all the time here.

Thanks, that will be great. It will be interesting to try it on a different camera and that might eliminate some of the possibles at least. For instance, whether your focus screen is accurately adjusted (Canons often need adjustment out of the box), but you would have noticed this with any lens I guess. I'm not trusting the adapter either, but that would only be important at infinity.

I agree completely with Woodrim about the sharpness of the Vivitar 28s, I don't have the CF type, but my WA versions in M42, PK and MD are all extremely sharp above f4. I think the glass is identical, it's just that the CF has more focus adjustment. The M42 one was my very first additional lens around 35 years ago! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, probably time has not been kind on my copies of the Vivitar.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I agree completely with Woodrim about the sharpness of the Vivitar 28s, I don't have the CF type, but my WA versions in M42, PK and MD are all extremely sharp above f4. I think the glass is identical, it's just that the CF has more focus adjustment. The M42 one was my very first additional lens around 35 years ago! Smile

Thanks - not so much for agreeing with me, but for having been around and taking pictures 35 years ago; I don't feel so lonely now. Oh wait, I was doing it 40 years ago... shit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely bow to the greater knowledge and experience you guys have.

I must be one of the unlickiest lens buyers around, I have bad copies of quite a few lenses that are known to be good usually.

One factor that always troubles me is adapters, I only have three lenses in OM mount - Zuiko 1.8/50, Ensinor 2.8/28 and Vivitar 2.8/28, I haven't played with the Zuiko much, I have two copies of that, they came with my OM10 and OM20. I could stick the Viv on one of my Oly bodies and shoot some film, that would remove the adapter from the equation.

I also have a Pentax MG, I could try the PK Viv 28 on that, but I have promised it to a friend who uses Pentax DSLRs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
peterqd wrote:

Thanks - not so much for agreeing with me, but for having been around and taking pictures 35 years ago; I don't feel so lonely now. Oh wait, I was doing it 40 years ago... shit.

Oh, you don't need to worry on that score! You're not alone. Smile I was taking pictures many years before then.

I've been taking pictures since 1953, first with a Brownie 127 then my dad's 1930s Coronet folder. My first SLR was a Zenit 3M in 1966 and what a thrill to look through the taking lens! I couldn't find any S/H M39 lenses for it though. It wasn't until 1969 that I bought an M42 camera and I bought the Viv 28 at least 6 years after that.

And Patrick was taking pics a while before I started! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, if you haven't sent me the package yet, put the PK Viv in with the others and I can try that for you too. I'll send it straight back.

Oh, and unlucky happens to everyone. I went through 4 duff 200s before I got one that worked OK.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interested to see how Peter gets on with a different camera and adapter Smile I've probably handled about 500 lenses over the years, and I've only ever had one (that's not obviously been tampered with or beaten up) that has had obvious softness issues.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am confused as to why this lens is like this, you would figure Yashica had good QC but I can't see any evidence of it being damaged or tampered with.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one isn't for pixel peepers but what a great image!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate. 4-ish am, tripod, 30sec exposure on ISO 100 with EOS 10D, Yashica ML 2.8/35.

There was a street light bottom left, I cropepd it out but part of the flare it caused is still there, top left.

Shame it isn't sharper, I'm hoping Peter can figure out why both these Yashicas are soft.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping too. I'm keen to have a look at them but I'm not an expert, so please don't expect too much.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just value a second opinion and a second pair of hands using them, I might have done something silly that caused the softness with the 35mm, but the 28, it looks bad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian's lenses arrived this morning and I've had a preliminary look at them. The 28 is mint, glass and body, and looks as though it's never been used. The 35 is only slightly more used but looking with a loupe I saw a film of tiny dots on one of the front inner surfaces, almost like a haze. I think it might be the result of condensation. This poor handheld shot of it is a 100% crop from the 4/50 Macro Takumar:

I can see how to dismantle the front elements to clean it off, but I'll need a better lens spanner.

The C/Y>EOS adapter that Ian sent with the lenses is probably a little thin. Both lenses focus very slightly past infinity on my camera. Personally I prefer this as it gives scope for lenses which aren't properly adjusted. However, you need to be aware of it and never rely on the infinity stop.

The weather here is grim at the moment, so I've decided against doing any proper testing until tomorrow. However, I did take a few infinity shots with the 35 to see if the haze was affecting it, and I was pleasantly surprised. The lens performs about as well as any of my other 35 lenses and better than some. I've made a composite image of 100% crops for comparison. If you click on it you can see it full size.

All shots (apart from the kit lens) at f/8, ISO200
left column:
Yashica ML 2.8/35
CZJ Flektogon 2.4/35 (red MC)
Pentax-M 2.8/35

right column:
Super-Takumar 3.5/35
Mir24M 2/35
and (for a laugh): Canon AF kit lens 18-55 @ f/6.3

I've just cleaned and reassembled the Takumar 3.5 but it looks like it hasn't improved it much. I've never had a lot of faith in this lens.

The big surprise for me, as well as the good performance of the Yashica, is how well the Pentax-M matched up. That's cheered me up on this soggy, dark and windy day! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for the 28. I had to wait till late this afternoon for some sunlight to work with, but it was only in short bursts.

All the test shots I took were at f/5.6 with 100 ISO. I focused on the red roof exactly in the centre of the frame, using a tripod and remote release. I bracket focused about 15 shots with the tiniest increments I could manage.

I found some interesting points:

1 As for the 35, the lens focusses past infinity, due to the adapter. The sharpest focus was consistently about 10 or 12 increments from the infinity stop.

2 This is the first lens I've ever come across which fools the 400D meter. All the test pics I took were about 1 stop underexposed and in both pics below the gamma has been adjusted slightly in PS.

3 Other than the underexposing, in bright sunlight the lens seems to perform brilliantly, nicely sharp and contrasty: (it looks sharper if you click on the picture Rolling Eyes)

4 However in less than bright sunlight there is a marked loss of contrast and the lens flares quite badly - the bright areas seem to bleed light into the darker areas:

The flare and loss of contrast make the lens very difficult to focus. There is no AF beep at all, not even at a wider aperture. I can very well understand how difficult Ian found it to focus.

Something strange is going on which I can't fathom. More tests to be done at different apertures tomorrow, hopefully there'll be a little more sunshine.

This comparable shot was taken with the Pentax-M 2.8/28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Peter, does look like it was the ape trying to work it rather than the lens that was at fault.

Looking forward to your conclusions.