Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 45/2: Easy Fix.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Minolta MD 45/2: Easy Fix. Reply with quote

I picked up this lens attached to a Minolta XG-1 several years ago. Camera worked fine but lens focused to infinity and beyond! I ignored it for a few years, but this past week, I dug into it and found it an easy fix.

Unscrew the name ring with an appropriate tool. I used a rubber plug. A spanner can also be used. Under the ring, you'll see six screws. It is obvious which three secure the filter ring. Remove them and the filter ring.

Now you'll see a metal ring and three more screws. These clamp the focus grip to the helical. Remove the screws, ring and focus grip.

Aim the camera at a sufficiently distant object and adjust focus for infinity in the viewfinder. Very carefully, so you don't disturb the helical, set the focus grip back onto the lens with the infinity symbol aligned with the witness mark. Reattach the clamp ring and screws, filter ring and screws and name ring.

These instruction will probably serve for many wide and normal 35mm lenses.There will always be varations! I set focus on a cell phone tower about a half mile distant. Probably good enough for a 45 to 50mm lens. I also used and recommend an eyepiece magnifier. A quick fix and a lens back in business.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tip!

Why not focus on the moon? Stars are too small!