Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

So, scanners then, what's all that about?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: So, scanners then, what's all that about? Reply with quote

Okay so let's assume that my exploratory forays into 35mm film photography go well and possibly - in the fullness of time - lead to an MF camera coming to live with me.

I then have a situation of wanting to deal with 35mm and possibly MF negatives.

I'm told that scanning my developed negs is the best way to get them onto my computer for processing.

I have a combined copier/scanner now: a little desktop Lexmark, will that do the job?

Assuming not, what's involved? Do I assume that the little scanners often shown in adverts in the Sunday papers "save your old film negatives to your computer" aren't quite up to the job and that I need some kind of dedicated film negative scanner?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need flat bed scanner with film holder or dedicated scanner or a slide copier set with digital camera.

Others what did you mention not works.

A used flat bad scanner with film holder an inexpensive option and works pretty well.

Like Epson V500 or older models.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much has already been written in the forum about scanners, such as can be found here.

I have Epson V500. Been very pleased with it, both for 35mm and 6x7 slides and negatives. V500 35mm scans are imho better than service standard scans, but not as good as more expensive high-rez scans from service. V500 6x7 scans are much better than service standard scans.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
You need flat bed scanner with film holder or dedicated scanner or a slide copier set with digital camera.

Others what did you mention not works.

A used flat bad scanner with film holder an inexpensive option and works pretty well.

Like Epson V500 or older models.

Thanks Attila for your input. Clearly I have some reading to do.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Much has already been written in the forum about scanners,

Which is why this is such a great place to get help.

visualopsins wrote:
such as can be found here.

I have Epson V500. Been very pleased with it, both for 35mm and 6x7 slides and negatives. V500 35mm scans are imho better than service standard scans, but not as good as more expensive high-rez scans from service. V500 6x7 scans are much better than service standard scans.

Thank you. A search of "scanner" brings up 80 results!! I'm working my way through them and hope to be able to understand everything that's written.

By the way, do you prefer slide negatives or print negatives? I've been advised that the former may be preferable. I'm reading one search result which describes copying the 35mm by taking a photo of it with a DSLR: hmm, that's an interesting mix of technology Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slide or print film matter of your budget and targeted subject.

slide film purchase price , developing cost usually at least double than print film.

At long distance shoot, cityscape,landscape slide without doubt

portrait, rocks, bulidings , closer distance , car , machine etc print film same fine than slide,

to macro I prefer digital.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
I'm reading one search result which describes copying the 35mm by taking a photo of it with a DSLR: hmm, that's an interesting mix of technology Rolling Eyes

It sounds strange at first, but it actually can produce very good results. Wink Depending on the DSLR, it is quite possible to beat the flatbeds in image quality, and when you get things all set up, it can be faster as well!