Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Comparing Cyclop 85mm 1.5 (Helios 40) with Canon 85mm 1.2 II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Comparing Cyclop 85mm 1.5 (Helios 40) with Canon 85mm 1.2 II Reply with quote

fgdgfdgdf

Last edited by MoonPix on Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to laugh whenever I see all that horrible green/purple fringing in today's top L line lenses and zero AF digital lens users out of 100 actually noticing that.
I mean we are talking of a top-of-the-line L(uxury) Canon AF lens here.
Has the cheap standard of quality of AF lenses in the digital era really lowered the expectations of pro/dedicated amateur photographer that much?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfssdfsdf

Last edited by MoonPix on Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonPix wrote:

Are you talking about the keyboard pictures?

yes, it jumps at your eyes. And it isn't even a high contrast situation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hjhgjnhghj

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! Smile

I too have them both, and love them both. Well, not Cyclop but Helios 40-2 Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is for Orio ... hahaha Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
This one is for Orio ... hahaha Very Happy

A picture speaks better than a thousand words! Laughing

It really means something that a lens made in the 60s can beat the ass out of the super luxury Canon L lens in CA department.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it means, that newer Canon L lens is better corrected for spherical aberration and other low order aberrations. These hide higher order aberrations (CAs), but the price you pay is field sharpness.
Good example are Leica pre-APO lenses vs. Zeiss CY lenses. Zeiss lenses usually show better sharpness in the field (lower spherical aberration) and more CAs. Contrariwise Leica lenses usually has lower CA, but needs to be stopped down more to get comparable field sharpness (curvature of focal plane is hidden by depth of field). Before special glass with high refraction index and low dispersion was developed, this was one of main tasks for designer to balance all these aberrations well.
Only way from this are apochromatically corrected lens, where the designer suppress not only basic third order aberrations, but fifth and even higher order aberrations too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would rather have a lens be less sharp than having to deal with high CA. Nothing is more annoying to me in editing than heavy CA.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsfsdfsdf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember the Cyclops can be stopped down with waterhouse stops?

I haven't taken mine apart to do so, but it should be possible as the original of the design, the Helios has an iris?

Excellent demonstration pics of these lenses faults and properties!
Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsfsdfsdf

Last edited by MoonPix on Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonPix wrote:
Thanks. Yes, I have heard that you can modify the lens to make an aperture ring. I personally don't know how this is done.

Thank you for compare different lenses! Cyclop 85mm has at least three different version, only one of them exact copy of Helios-40.
One of them has terrible CA another versions have not.
Easiest way to make aperture make a whole on card board and put into adapter , with different rings like F4 size whole, F8 size whole you are set well Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you know you will have the good version?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, folks, I remember seeing Zeiss Planar 85mm pictures here with very obvious CA, visible with a naked eye in web size images. Anyone else remember those, they were from some sort of air balloons festival?

Before we go all wild about CA and how good Cyclop is, am I the only one who sees much better pop, contrast and microcontrast on Canon, and yeah, much stronger CA too?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One solution is asking the guess not to dress in purple or green, then remove all these colors in post.
Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Well, folks, I remember seeing Zeiss Planar 85mm pictures here with very obvious CA, visible with a naked eye in web size images. Anyone else remember those, they were from some sort of air balloons festival?

Maybe this can help, though it is not about Zeiss 85 but Zeiss 55 1.2

http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-planar-t-1-2-55-contax-100-jahre-cy-t54274.html

Regards

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, exactly those pics, thanks for finding them. I remembered that the lens was a high end Planar, but apparently forgot the focal length.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:

Before we go all wild about CA and how good Cyclop is, am I the only one who sees much better pop, contrast and microcontrast on Canon, and yeah, much stronger CA too?

I confirm depend from light and focus accuracy, but I have several awful CA images from Planar 85mm. Cyclop have many variants some of them has no CA or minimal some of them has awful lot. Some Cyclop is a triplet or doublet only.