Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

History of Korean Optical Production
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: History of Korean Optical Production Reply with quote

Please fill the blanks Smile.

No, really i can't find anything useful on net (probably written in different characters set).

If Japan cooperation between companies and brand-names is kind of mistery, Korea seems even more troublesome. But Samyang did not emerge from nothing. And there are 20 different vintage lenses "Made in Korea" at my home. Well at least ten of them a 2.8/135mm Carenar / Varexon clone: http://forum.mflenses.com/carenar-135-f2-8-examples-inside-huge-surprise-of-a-lens-t39601,start,30.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok will try and add some info that i found on Korean optics
Samyang Optics founded in 1972
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samyang_Optics

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camerapedia link for Samyang lenses does list one additional point.
All Sears Made In Korea lenses are Samyang made.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Samyang

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had 2 porst lenses that had made in korea on them

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent an email over to Samyang to see if they can help us with identification of some of the older lenses,
It may be helpful if we can post images on this thread of korean lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carenar branded 135mm
It has Made on Korea written on the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Had Revuenon Auto 135/2,8 which written in body Made in Korea

Last edited by IAZA on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I posted in that thread Pancolart linked to, that 2.8/135 has appeared in tons of brands, Mirage, Exaktar, Carena, many more. I have Mirage and Exaktar branded copies.

It's a decent lens, worth having a copy as they are available for almost nothing. I suspect they were made in their tens if not hundreds of thousands as they are so common.

I also suspect a lot of 'made in Japan' lenses contain Korean components, either metal or glass, as long as they are assembled in Japan with a certain proportion of Jap parts they can be labelled 'made in Japan'.

I have other Korean made lenses but they are all cheap and nasty zooms, a 28-200 in M42 I have never used springs to mine.

I expect there were several zooms from Korea as common as that 2.8/135, probably a 70-210, those are so common, I have definitely seen Korean labelled 70-210 lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

35/2.8