Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiron 28/2 first quick test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Kiron 28/2 first quick test Reply with quote

Today I received this lens . Unfortunately I still wait for the adaptor .Some quick tests with the lens handheld

All wide open

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard mixed reviews of this lens. It seems popular with the digi crowd, but older reviewers are unimpressed.

I look forward to some more samples.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it works very well on both my olly ep2 and 5d, pleasant colors and good sharpness. i hope you enjoy it.

per martin, i am presently shooting some film with it on my contax 139, so we'll see how she does on film...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Images indoors seem nice Smile Outdoors my copy flared like crazy until stopped down quite a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I've heard mixed reviews of this lens. It seems popular with the digi crowd, but older reviewers are unimpressed.

Well my Vivitar 28mm f2 is made by Kiron, so could be very similar and after a few shots on different films, my copy is not razor sharp....so unless I can find some unusual quality that my other 28mms don't have, it will probably stay in my cupboard.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Images indoors seem nice Smile Outdoors my copy flared like crazy until stopped down quite a bit.

This is what prevent me to find one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Here you are, Martin:

These are from K-mount version of this lens. I also have OM version, but I used it only with slides - and the results are even better. For me, its one of the best 28mm lenses. It's not razor-sharp (but stil very sharp) wide open, but the way the lens renders pictures is astonishing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

this lens, when new, was cheaper than a sigma 28 2.8
it was a bargain for a 28:2, very good for the price
on crop it is usable, on the 5DII the lens don't impress me
if found cheap it is still a bargain but not the same level of lens costing 5 to 10x more

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: a quick sample shot from mine... Reply with quote

Here's my Vivitar 28/2...gotten cheap because it's stuck at F2...admittedly not so hot in bright sun but in the shade and in low light it's very nice...

Full frame @F2 (sRAW on Canon 40D) and 100% crop (with USM 300/.3/0)

[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: a quick sample shot from mine... Reply with quote

mfkita wrote:
Here's my Vivitar 28/2...gotten cheap because it's stuck at F2...admittedly not so hot in bright sun but in the shade and in low light it's very nice...

It's looks like the Kiron fault of oil on the blades, mine has oil on them as well but still are ok, and I'm suspicious of the repeated rumour about Kiron was started by ex-Nikon engineers/designers, as you would think they would know what lubricant to use in the lenses, or......at least why didn't they copy what other makers use.

btw mine looks different to yours in that it says "Auto wide-angle" and no MC.....yours might be an early model as after 22 my number starts at 84.