Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon EOS 1000D=Rebel XS=EOS Kiss F - SDHC card slot repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Canon EOS 1000D=Rebel XS=EOS Kiss F - SDHC card slot repair Reply with quote

My Canon EOS 1000D suprised me with the Error ~ card locked / write protected - but the locking slide switch was not on locked. And with other cards the same problem in the camera - not in the card reader (which realizes a difference between the locking switch positions).

Seems like the not uncommon problem, that the card slot of the camera was defective. I tried with small instruments to "repair" that from outside. Didn´t worked for me.

Because I had a second defective EOS 1000D I had a SD card slot board that should work.

One day with a time for such things I opend my EOS body, which I haqd done before for a (main?) board replacement.
As I opend the camera, and disassembled it more and more, I realized that this memory card board is not a very easy replacment, because one have to disassemble much of the camera :-/

I realized that I need to open the front part of the camera too, because of that the flash capacitor gets dangerous. So I measured and decharged the flash capacitor. I don´t like to work with cameras with flash, because one has to find the right solderpoints for this job - without getting into contact to these points.

Here the front side:

I replaced the complete part with battery slot, because this way I could make it a bit faster. But it should be no big problem to exchange the SD-Card-Slot-Board only.

After reassembly it worked Smile
Last time (mainboard replacment) it didn´t, I diasassembled it again, and checked the cables - after that it worked.

Probably there are easier ways, but I didn´t found it out - have no acess to a service manual of this camera.

More pictures on my homepage:
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Canon_EOS-1000D_Rebel-XS_EOS-Kiss-F_SD_cardslot_repair.html
But I need to write some updates there.

Lessons learned: It is much work to disassemble the camera, exchange part, and assemble it after that. Many skills are not needed, but it is probably not for everybody easy to perform such things on a camera because of fear for camera-damage and electric shock from the capacitor.

I don´t like the high voltage part on this - I use safety googles (don´t want a screwdriver in my eys) and thick high voltage gloves. One could do that without these.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I have an XS (1000D) that's been out of warranty for about a year and a half now. If I have a problem with it, I think I'll shoot you a PM. Nice to see that it looks to be pretty easy to disassemble. Probably easier than a traditional film camera, I'm thinking, at least in terms of removing the outer covers.

So what do you use to discharge the flash capacitor? I'm thinking it probably isn't safe to just short it between its contacts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From point of view these DSLR cameras arre much easier to disassemble than the old film SLR.

But you need a different way to work - not too cautious!
Sometimes you need a bit force, to open the ~ snap fit (not sure about the word) on these plastic cameras. In the old days the need for force was mostly a sign that you have forgoten somwehere a screw or something like that.

On the other hand you need to work with all these different kinds of cable connectors to unlock them.

But after disassembly the problems start: Mostly you exchange complete assembly groups. Mostly you can not solder something to work again - exept some fuses (seems the be sometimes a problem on EOS 5D classic) - or you are an electronic geek.

It is different kind of work for DSLR and SLR.
In the old days a camera repairman was a good mechanic skilled person to understand how the shutter works.
Nowadays you replace most times parts inside the camera, and do calibration after the service manual how-to.

Flash capacitor discharging:
I made a small capacitor discharge unit, but a better one could be bought cheaper at Micro Tools.
Scroll down here to see my discharger (German page):
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/kamera-reparatur-werkzeug.html
I took a 4 Watt potentiometer which I use mostly on 3000 ohm resistance.
And I use 1000V tested cabels and test prods (word?).

To connect both solder points with a cable would probably solder the cabel onto the solder points. As far as I know this is not reccomended.

As I worte before: It is High Voltage ~ 350 Volt, it is really dangerous.
A professional electro engineer told me that he opend a defective camera just out of curiosity. And he touched accidently such contacts of the flash capacitor - out of shock he smashed the camera away!

Please read some more instructions about the capacitor discharging - worte in better English than mine:
Search my DIY link directory for "capacitor":
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/index-en.html