Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax mirrorless
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Pentax mirrorless Reply with quote

Looks like the coming Pentax mirrorless will be a 5.6x crop, arrggg!!!

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/pentax-mirrorless-system-with-ultratiny-sensor-5x/

So, it's between Sony, Ricoh (the M module), and Nikon (also smaller sensor? hope not)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 5.6x crop??? Who in there right mind would shoot on something like that?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.6x is insane! btw, why not consider olympus? at least it can be had with both an evf and in camera IS--i think its the only evil w both those features...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1:1.9/8.5 gives normal perspective. Still unclear what is the camera register distance, if less than C-mount, then C-mount lenses can be adapted. This may be the case as rumor sez sensor is same as Kenko C-mount mirror-less camera.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so this is true, people at Pentax not stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I don't think so this is true, people at Pentax not stupid.

+1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
The 1:1.9/8.5 gives normal perspective.

Let's assume the 8,5 the 8,5mm correspond to a 50mm lens (approximatively). In terms of dof, that will be a 50/10,6 equivalent. So nearly no dof control, as in all compact cams. 14Mpix on a such tiny sensor means no good handling of high sensitivities. So, a compact cam with interchangeable lens. What would be the interesting point compared to a real compact cam ? And I don't know how they think we will clean a such sensor...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.6x crop seems like a strange choice. If true then can't see this selling well at all.

The Kenko lens lineup is
6mm f1.4,
8mm f1.4,
9mm f1.4,
12mm f1.4,
12.5mm f1.4,
16mm f1.4,
16mm f2.8,
18mm f1.4,
25mm f1.4,
50mm f1.8.

These all look like existing c-mount CCTV / industrial lenses for 1/2" (approx 5.6x crop), 2/3" or 1" sensors. Some of these are labelled Tokina so maybe Pentax will use the same lenses but rebranded and with a different mount (prob bayonet).

35mm equiv focal lengths for 5.6x crop are: 34, 45, 50, 67, 70, 90, 100, 140, 280, which would mean not much in the way of wide angles which would be odd.

With that lens lineup a bigger sensor (maybe ~4x crop, ~2/3") gives a more conventional focal length range.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 5.6x makes no sense at all.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, 5.6x is a awful number, 5x is more practical to find lens equivalent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax and Kenko are sister companies (like Tokina both are Hoya subsidiaries) - I'd consider it quite likely that this is the same camera core as the Kenko, maybe in a different packaging and targeted at a different market.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
The 1:1.9/8.5 gives normal perspective.

Let's assume the 8,5 the 8,5mm correspond to a 50mm lens (approximatively). In terms of dof, that will be a 50/10,6 equivalent. So nearly no dof control, as in all compact cams. 14Mpix on a such tiny sensor means no good handling of high sensitivities. So, a compact cam with interchangeable lens. What would be the interesting point compared to a real compact cam ? And I don't know how they think we will clean a such sensor...

+1 all very true!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crop makes sense from a business point of view because it's a common sensor size already in production and used in many compact cameras but from a photography point of view not so much.

I would have been happier with a 3-3.5 crop at the most

I can see what they are doing and although it looks stupid I think there would be a substantial market for a tiny and "cute" mirroless cam which would outdo the competition on compactness and likely appeal the people who knew nothing about IQ and just wanted something trendy, all the need is to market it right so people "want it" even though they know little or nothing about photography. All they have to do it make people believe it's the "next big thing"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently the future nikon mirroless will have a 2.5 crop factor.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogolisk wrote:

O no! Now I am interested in the Ricoh M module, as they seem to understand user interface better than Sony.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogolisk wrote:

Really? Source?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:
bogolisk wrote:

Really? Source?

source? none !Smile
rumours? yes:

http://www.43rumors.com/nikon-coolpix-pro/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought: This sounds totally insane. Is PenHoya totally nutz?

My second thought: PenHoya ain't nutz. What's the gimmick? Who'll buy this?

My third thought: Aha! People with too much money, who want a cute little camera!

My fourth thought: This will be released in Japan; the rest of the world must wait.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogolisk wrote:
blende8 wrote:
bogolisk wrote:

Really? Source?

http://www.43rumors.com/nikon-coolpix-pro/

Hope not, 1.5x as in DSLR would be the best Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To complete the story:

http://dpreview.com/news/1106/11062311pentaxqpreview.asp

$800

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
To complete the story:

http://dpreview.com/news/1106/11062311pentaxqpreview.asp

$800

Rolling Eyes

The sensor is small, very small:

"This is around 1/8th the size of the sensor used in Micro Four Thirds cameras and 1/13th the size of the the APS-C format sensor in Sony's NEX. "

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be in the minority, but I really like the Pentax Q system: it's tiny, has in-body IS, in-lens shutters with flash sync at all speeds, and high iso should be pretty good for a compact as the sensor technology is the same as the sensor in the k5.

Lenses are also pretty strange: two "regular" good lenses with Pentax multicoating and good glass, the 50mm equivalent and zoom; one interesting lens, the fisheye; and two really weird ones, the toy lenses with fixed aperture, priced at 85$ each (!).

The only problem is cost, 800$ is too much.

The best commentary I've read about the Q system is at The Online Photographer. Please note also ctein's addendum at the bottom on image quality with small sensors.

Edit: and, frankly, the only people who care about bokeh are lens nuts. Personally I could not care less.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! the size of a credit card Shocked Laughing
a 400mm will be 1600mm, great for moon shots Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Pentax Q Reply with quote

Poilu, the crop factor is at least 5 maybe even 5.6!!! ('Twisted Evil')

Flange distance is 9mm or so. Hmmmmm....? Cool

I doubt that the c mount zoom lenses will vignette!

Razz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
The best commentary I've read about the Q system is at The Online Photographer. Please note also ctein's addendum at the bottom on image quality with small sensors.

thank you very much for this link ludoo!

Pentaxforums are mostly bashing it.
this article helps me big time to get a better appreciation of this new camera.