Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

S-M-C 1.4/50, portraits from around Hanoi
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: S-M-C 1.4/50, portraits from around Hanoi Reply with quote

S-M-C Takumar f1.4/50mm on Pentax K-x

1. friendly policeman:

2. actually guard of the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum

please view my flickr set from Hanoi 2011: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157626719535476/

best greetings from Hanoi,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, lucky No.13 was taken with AF lens, Pentax FA35 ( hey, too lazy to change the numbering Wink )

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow those are amazing. The dude who married the chick in no. 6 is pretty damn lucky. However, my favorites are no. 1 and the B&W old woman. Those, to my eyes, seem to capture the subjects with the greatest level of personality-to-photo translation.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank's David

good news, the lady of No.6 is still available! she was a model for a photographer's club, and they love to do it in wedding dress Wink
she does have a boy friend though Twisted Evil and btw. this photo is quite a heavy crop, in front of her it was rather crowded Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic series!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no 3 and the last one are my favs - it is a beautiful series

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd picture is the best in the series. Well done work on all the compositions.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good series. I like 3, 7 and 16 the best

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely series, enjoyed them all! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fascinating array of faces. Thanks and well done

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good series, all nice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Edgar, Thomas, Melvis, 'oishi nihon beer' Wink 'Nordentro', Patrick and 'Minolfan' for looking and commenting!

I know quite a few of you enjoy viewing the photos of 'exotic' places, I hope I have enough 'other than portraits' to make another thread.

Some of you mentioned No.3. There was someone obstructing the view to both sides so I had to go square crop, so a tad wider, free crop would have been possible too, would leave 'light' to both borders:

this one originally was meant to be No.13

wide open, at low light, just like No. 15 and 16

best greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic shots! 15&16 are my favorites. Are any of these with high ISO?

Is this your favorite lens and focal length for traveling? What is your usual set?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series Andreas... like always you do

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Holy cow those are amazing. The dude who married the chick in no. 6 is pretty damn lucky. However, my favorites are no. 1 and the B&W old woman. Those, to my eyes, seem to capture the subjects with the greatest level of personality-to-photo translation.

+1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic series!
Lot of interesting portraits. No 3 is my favorite, but they are all very good really.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
Fantastic shots! 15&16 are my favorites. Are any of these with high ISO?

Is this your favorite lens and focal length for traveling? What is your usual set?

thank you Riku

No15 is ISO 2000, No 16 ISO 3600
Camera is set to have medium level NR kick in at ISO 1600
no NR reduction applied in PP ( EXIFs intact, my ' Neatimage' NR software would strip the exifs )

No. 10 and 18 are with ISO 1600, No 18 more noisy than even the above ISO3200 pic due to having been underexposed

the S-M-C 1.4/50 is and has been my favorite lens, best for 'street - travel portraits'. It always with me, it also is the lens I use for shallow dof / detail shots and low light. my 1.9/85 Super Tak may even be more spectacular for portraits, but it's focal lenght isn't right for APS-C sensor and to my eyes the 1.4/50 renders 'as is', most natural of any lens I have. Sometimes even the 75mm equivalent of the 50mm is a tad too long though, and I have been pondering, for the 'street-portraits' trying out either a Voigtlaender Ultron f2/40 or a Pentax FA43 ltd.

I carry my camera every day, these days with 4 lenses: a Super Tak f3.5/24mm, an AF lens, the Pentax FA35, the S-M-C 1.4/50 and a Super Tak 1.9/85. In the city this set often does not cover wide enough angle though, and I am still searching a solution. The AF of the FA often is very useful. The 85 I carry because I know it 'could' take spectacular portraits, but harldy gets use.

When out on the street typically I used to carry only two lenses, the S-M-C 1.4/50 and the 24mm S.Tak. ( sometimes a Mir47K f2.5/20mm, but that lens is soo heavy, wished I had the mini DA21 ), with slight variations to the theme. instead of the f1.4/50 it sometimes has been an Auto Tak 2/55 ( even like it for low light, it's deeper dof when wide open / circular oof highlights ) and last year the 24mm was a Vivitar f2/24

best regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much IAZA, Attila and Sven for looking and commenting Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!!
Amazing portraits!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much Shauttra Smile