Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Makinon 24-50mm MACRO 1:3 MD to M42 on MkII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Makinon 24-50mm MACRO 1:3 MD to M42 on MkII Reply with quote

Who wouldn't like such beastie chunk of glass? I am also always curios about the lens with separate macro ring.
Internal moving of elements can sometimes produce cool effects like shallow DOF found with fast lenses.

It motivated me to convert from Minolta MD to M42. I had to make direct connection of aperture lever to aperture ring.
Then I used Korean 135mm lens bottom M42 mount that fit without much changes. Infinity was slightly adjusted on front and is now reached.
Sample photos later in the evening.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Macro ring moves an internal element? I have had a couple pseudo-macro lenses where the 'Macro' ring just pushes the front element out a bit: Access (Tokina?) AMC 28/2.8 and Sears (unknown) 135/2.8. I sold the Sears because it didn't pass my fringing test. I hadn't thought to use it for thin-DOF close portraits. Damn. How is your Makinon with fringing and other aberrations?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macro ring acts here as adding spacers - moving everything away from sensor. Though it is somewhat connected with focal length selector so there might be slight movement in the middle.

Fringing / CA not an issue here. Some geometric distortion especially at 24mm. Check the runner photo left top. Good explanation here under Pincushion distortion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_%28optics%29

"A mixture of both types, sometimes referred to as mustache distortion (moustache distortion) or complex distortion, is less common but not rare. It starts out as barrel distortion close to the image center and gradually turns into pincushion distortion towards the image periphery, making horizontal lines in the top half of the frame look like a handlebar mustache."

I'd like to play with flares lately Smile. Scroll right a bit to see full 1201px.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these in M42 in transit. Won it in an auction that includes a Spotmatic, Super Tak 55/1.8, the Makinon 24-50, an old light meter and a bag. I was wondering if you have any more samples posted anywhere. Tried the search function above few results, mainly this one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are lucky to get in M42. It's pretty unique lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some retro style shots using NEX-C3. Macro option is useful:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Makinon 24-50mm MACRO 1:3 MD to M42 on MkII Reply with quote

[quote="Pancolart"]Who wouldn't like such beastie chunk of glass? I am also always curios about the lens with separate macro ring.
Internal moving of elements can sometimes produce cool effects like shallow DOF found with fast lenses.

[i]It motivated me to convert from Minolta MD to M42. I had to make direct connection of aperture lever to aperture ring.
Then I used Korean 135mm lens bottom M42 mount that fit without much changes. Infinity was slightly adjusted on front and is now reached.

Sample photos later in the evening.[/i]

Genius.
Lovely images.
Congratulations.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you OH!