Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anybody use this wrench before?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Anybody use this wrench before? Reply with quote

I am thinking of getting one of these.Curious if any one has any experience with this spanner wrench from thorlabs?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIrst time I see it, but looks strong...
Interesting, look forward for your report.
Thanks for sharing.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think will be good for some most lensbut not huge lens as the max opening is only 3".

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it at work sometimes. High quality stuff made for optical assemblies. Very sturdy, very easy to change diameter, but as said be aware of the limited maximum gripping distance. Of course the rods can be bent to allow greater distance...
Be sure to get the other type of tips that are more pointy. The pointy tips are not concentrical on the rod, thus they can be rotated to grip the ring nut coming from the outside or inside (hard to explain) depending on need. Often something else is obstructing the access to the ring nut, and this feature is great in those cases.

/T

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use one of these at work. The tips reverse - flat blade on one end and points on the other.

It is a very good spanner, but I find there is a bit of play in guide bars which allows the tips to wobble changing the distance between them. This can make it a bit fiddly to use when the blades will only locate on their very edge in the lens ring notches - they can slip out of the notches easily.

It is much better when using the pointed tips as the holes stop the tips moving. It is much better then my own pointed tip spanner.

The big advantage is the ease of adjusting the distance.

It's expensive, so I'm not sure I would spend my money on one....

Mark

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
FIrst time I see it, but looks strong...
Interesting, look forward for your report.
Thanks for sharing.

Jes.

+1

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I think will be good for some most lensbut not huge lens as the max opening is only 3".

If you unscrew the adjustment all the way, can you remove the two side pieces, and then re-install them backward to get a wider opening?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

If you unscrew the adjustment all the way, can you remove the two side pieces, and then re-install them backward to get a wider opening?

Sure. You can do the same to other wrenchs. We have to consider the length of the blade then.... In case we need to make the blade longer, we can make out own blade holder too.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Sure. You can do the same to other wrenchs.

So is the 3" max opening with the side pieces flipped? Or will flipping the sides allow an opening wider than 3 inches?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Product page: http://www.thorlabs.us/thorProduct.cfm?partNumber=SPW801

There is a CAD download Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Sure. You can do the same to other wrenchs.

So is the 3" max opening with the side pieces flipped? Or will flipping the sides allow an opening wider than 3 inches?

Spanner Adjustment Ranges from 0.12" (3 mm) to 3.0" (75 mm)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
actually as I measured it in autocad it´s precisely 2.82" Smile

check this image - if it´s flippable, then the maximum adjustment is about 4.5" depending on manufacturing precision

edit: oooops too big picture, corrected:)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
actually as I measured it in autocad it´s precisely 2.82" Smile

check this image - if it´s flippable, then the maximum adjustment is about 4.5" depending on manufacturing precision

edit: oooops too big picture, corrected:)

I don't have autocad but I have extract this from their PDF.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just edited the autocad file to make my image - as I write, if it´s flippable then it should look like this. then I just measured the distance between pieces.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
I just edited the autocad file to make my image - as I write, if it´s flippable then it should look like this. then I just measured the distance between pieces.

My mistake. I know what you mean now. It will fit most lenses as it is about 114mm.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
My mistake. I know what you mean now. It will fit most lenses as it is about 114mm.
My english is not the best:) all at all, it´s out of reasonable price.. 85euro for wrench and 25euro for special tips? that´s only for professional repairman who´s making his living with service and repairs Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:

Just found this thread again... thanks for taking the time to do the CAD work to figure out the opening with the ends flipped! Cool